Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2014, 08:29 AM   #1

Auto leveling system

On my 2008 Dynasty with the air only automatic leveling system made by Power Gear-Valid the small compressor that I just replaced comes on every 12 hours and runs for 8 to 10 minutes to refill the tank to keep me level, is this normal?
ken bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2014, 09:01 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Sounds like a leak to me. Do the jacks actually start to retract when the pressure drops? If not, I'd cut power to the compressor after RV is level. You could start swabbing the air lines and joints with soapy water to find any leaks.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:07 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have a HWH system but they work the same when it comes to air pressure. If the compressor runs that often it is obviously a sign of a leak, however pretty small. You can go around every place that there is an air connection and spray soapy water and maybe find the leak. Some usual suspects are air operated step covers (yours may be electric), parking brake pull valves, door seal regulator, air horn valve, air bags and connections and air leveler valves, aux compressor unloader valve, air dryer, air governor etc. Sometimes it helps to note which tank does down first, that may point to something in back or front.
It it leaks down only is travel mode that rules out some air leveler vlaves but that should not be your case.

Or you can ignore the problem.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:30 AM   #4

The air compressor coming on once every 12 hours is pretty normal. As you move around in the MH it automatically levels itself because it is always on. So when my wife and I both move from or to the bedroom from the front it adjusts. This uses air if it has to raise the MH on one end or the other. Also temperature changes from day to night in the bags will cause it to correct. I can level my Sig manually so it doesn't use the compressor and let it sit for weeks and it will stay level. You might want to test yours that way. I used a tape measure and noted noted the distance from the upper part of the wheel and measured it daily and it doesn't change which indicates a good non leaking system. If a side or corner droops after a while then you have a leak. Then you have to decided what is a reasonable time before it droops. I don't think three days is bad. Like I said mine goes for about two weeks before it starts drooping
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:51 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Our compressor seems to come on way more often when the site is fairly unlevel with the worst being the front bags almost fully extended and the rear dropped as much as possible. Under these conditions the compressor can come on 2-3 times a day. If the site is fairly level it may go a couple of days without coming on.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:01 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken bauer View Post
On my 2008 Dynasty with the air only automatic leveling system made by Power Gear-Valid the small compressor that I just replaced comes on every 12 hours and runs for 8 to 10 minutes to refill the tank to keep me level, is this normal?
I don't think this is too bad but 8-10 minutes to fill the tank seems a little longer than what I am seeing. How often is the system re-adjusting when it wakes up?...if you hear the psssst....psssst......psssst then your coach is adjusting for something...could be temp variance, motion in the coach (do you have some Mastiffs running back and forth in the coach...) or a leak.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:08 PM   #7

I agree the 12 hour interval is normal, more often if on unlevel ground, but the 8-10 minutes seems excessive. Ours runs for about a minute or so. Might be a leak, or it could be a bad pressure switch.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:54 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Ours too will come on once every 12 to 24 hours however for only 1 to 2 minutes.

Have you checked the valves in the front & rear of the coach that are used to purge moisture from the tanks to make sure they have not vibrated open a little?
Old 11-20-2014, 07:30 PM   #9

Thanks for all the responses and especially Mike Canter's reply. I will leave all alone and while parked level I will drop the air bags and not even use auto air level. Do not have jack's by the way.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:43 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Our 2007 Dynasty does the same thing. It seems to do it with outside temperature changes during the night. Pump runs for about 2-3 minutes.
Make sure this does not run the chassis batteries down during an extended stay.
xfirechief20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:56 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfirechief20 View Post
Our 2007 Dynasty does the same thing. It seems to do it with outside temperature changes during the night.
I power mine down each night for that very reason. Compressor does'nt come on often, but it's ussually when your sleeping !
Old 11-20-2014, 09:45 PM   #12

Well holy cow, I thought all was ok. Like I said earlier, I dropped the coach and all was level and I turned off the auto level system but for some reason the compressor came on again so I went out and pulled the fuse, can't win and guess my coach is possessed. How can the compressor come on when the system is shut off?
Old 11-20-2014, 09:49 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I have a toggle switch on mine to prevent the cycling of little compressor
tomckeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:00 PM   #14

It is suppose to be imposible for the compressor to come on when the system is turned off, right?

Tags
leveling