Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2014, 09:44 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Auto Motion Shade Front Window - Power

My front black mesh power shade made by Auto Motion is acting up. When I push the button to lower or raise the shade it goes about a 1/2 inch and stops. Each time I push it it will go another 1/2". I've checked the voltage at the switch and that's good so next step is to find wires in cabinet beside drivers seat and check connections there.

My question is if I have to take the power mesh shade down can I just remove this one or do I need to take the whole assembly down (meaning both shades)? I see what looks like a spring loaded c-clip on one end of each power shade and wondered if I remove the one on the mesh will that enable me to remove it without taking the entire assembly down?
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2014, 12:53 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Still looking for input regarding removal options. Anyone know?
Old 09-18-2014, 02:15 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
After doing a search it looks like you have to take down the assy. then they look much like MCD products and can be taken apart.

Automotionshade - Product

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I've disconnected the wiring and the screws that hold the entire assembly to the ceiling but it looks like I need to remove the drivers side pillar post cover. The shade assembly is held in place by recessed areas in the pillar post covers on both sides due to how they molded the covers and will not come out without removing one side. I'm thinking the driver side post cover would be easier to remove then the passenger side based on past experience with trying (note never did get it to come out after removing numerous screws) to remove the passenger side.

Looks like I will need to remove some screws on the driver side window and the flex the cover some to get it out.

Again any advice from those that have removed this post cover would greatly be appreciated.

At this point I can't even consider ordering any replacement parts until I get it down and identify the model number.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:41 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I'm quitting for the day as I'm completely frustrated and afraid if I continue I'm going to break something. Took the blind off the driver side window then loosen up some screws on the side window thinking that would allow me to move the driver side post cover. No such luck. I'm convinced they install the blind and post covers first then installed the dash. And there is no way I'm pulling the dash to replace the darn blind motor.

Calling Monaco tomorrow to see if they have any advice on how to get the blind out without me using a hack saw to cut it in half.

Ok rant over time for a beer and some football.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:46 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Well my neighbor and I took another look at the shades and we finally got the blinds out of the bracket holding them. Attached is some photos detailing how we did it and what everything looked like once we had the blinds down.

The fourth down photo is of a clip (one for each blind) that we removed that was on the end where the wires attached to motor.

The fourth down and to the right photo with the blinds removed shows a plastic tab that the clip was holding in place which we open once the clip was gone. Note one tab is open and the other is closed. This allowed us to pull the blind end out of the bracket end and with some muscle slide one end of the blind down the A-pillar cover via the groove in it for the blind.

The first photo is the end of the motor that was held in by the piece in the fourth down and to the right photo.

The 2nd photo shows the other end of the blind bracket and how it is recessed in the passenger side A-pillar cover. Driver side A-Pillar is recessed the same. The recessed areas is why I was unable to just pull the whole blind assembly down. Don't know for sure but I'm now thinking the pillar covers and blinds were installed at the factory before they put the front window in.

The other two photos are of the motor model and drive end.

Sorry about the confusing order of the photos, wasn't quite sure how to get them to come out in the order I attached them.

After searching this site I found reference to this site: Motorized Window Blinds, Shades, Projector Screens, Skylights I've already sent them an email and hoping they can help me with a new motor.

Should add the old motor was toast. Bench tested it and all I could get out of it was a small movement every time I applied power. Adjusting the stop screws did not make a difference.

So hopefully this will help someone in the future if they experience a faulty Auto Motion Shade motor.

Once I locate a replacement motor I'll let everyone know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motorend.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	74444   Click image for larger version

Name:	recessarea.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	74445  

Click image for larger version

Name:	moterend2.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	74446  
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2014, 07:48 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Have you seen these threads? Seems that others have had motor issues and found alternatives, but some modification may be required.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/auto...es-174507.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/elect...is-170409.html

BTW... I really want to upgrade to either MCD or Automotion shades so I've been looking at all of the posts on the topic.

Good luck with the repair.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:38 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Yes have looked at these threads. Hopefully I can get a replacement motor from site mention in my previous post. My biggest frustration was getting the blinds down from the mounting with no information available.

My complaint concerning motorized Auto Motion Shades is they won't sell you a replacement motor if yours goes bad. They force you to buy the whole blind again. My understanding is MCD does sell replacement motors. Something to check out when looking to buy your shades.

Tags
power, window