RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2020, 06:54 PM   #1

Aux Air Compressor for Air Level

Another issue!
I had removed the chassis batts for testing. I put the batts back in and I turned on the auto air level to make sure we're level since the air tanks have drained down as we've been parked for three weeks.

The aux compressor kicked in and then I could hear the hiss of air escaping. It was trying to re-level but never did. After about 5 mins the compressor shut off and the hiss stopped. The HWH control panel displayed "excess slope". I'm not too worried because the spot we're in is pretty level anyway. The airbags never did inflate so no air was going from the aux compressor to the bags.

The coach is too low for me to get under right now but I can see the aux compressor near the front axle. The hiss sound was coming from the compressor.

Any chance it's something simple to fix?

This is actually the first time I've ever tried to auto level with the tanks drained hence the first time I've heard the aux compressor kick in.

irishguy

irishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2020, 07:04 PM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishguy View Post
Another issue!
I had removed the chassis batts for testing. I put the batts back in and I turned on the auto air level to make sure we're level since the air tanks have drained down as we've been parked for three weeks.

The aux compressor kicked in and then I could hear the hiss of air escaping. It was trying to re-level but never did. After about 5 mins the compressor shut off and the hiss stopped. The HWH control panel displayed "excess slope". I'm not too worried because the spot we're in is pretty level anyway. The airbags never did inflate so no air was going from the aux compressor to the bags.

The coach is too low for me to get under right now but I can see the aux compressor near the front axle. The hiss sound was coming from the compressor.

This is actually the first time I've ever tried to auto level with the tanks drained hence the first time I've heard the aux compressor kick in.

irishguy
Hmm.. may be the compressor unloader (pop off) valve has given up..easy fix, $50 part..

saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Hmm.. may be the compressor unloader (pop off) valve has given up..easy fix, $50 part..
Will I have to remove the compressor to fix it?

I can't get under there until I air up the coach. If I have to remove the compressor will the air bags suddenly deflate while I'm under there?
Old 05-14-2020, 07:08 PM   #4

May be a simple air leak but on mine the aux compressor Will not and is not designed to fill the main tanks. Just the air bag. Doesn’t have the duty cycle for big tanks. Will burnout.

On mine there’s a solenoid that will dump the water trap when it’s finished running. If that is stuck open or the solenoid is bad all your air will go out the water trap. It is mounted on the compressor
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:16 PM   #5

Start it up.use the main engine compressor and tanks. Put the jacks down but block it up. Has check valves to prevent it dropping but never rely on that
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:23 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Another issue!

irishguy
You mention the leak is from the compressor. Is it actually the compressor or maybe the hose next to it??
Could be a real simple fix. But need to know exactly where leak is.

If I can't get under the coach with the bags fully deflated, I'll drive coach up on ramps I made which gives me a few more inches clearance. You don't want to risk getting crushed.

If you pull the generator out, you sometimes can access the air pump from the void the generator created when you pulled it out. Actually quite a bit of room.

BTW, you probably know this but I'll mention it.
The aux compressor doesn't fill the main tanks. It only fills an aux tank that will feed the air bags. There are check valves that will not allow air from aux tank to main tanks.

Also you should be able to level if you fire up main engine. That will fill all the tanks and allow the air bags/leveling to do it's thing.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:33 PM   #7

Thank u for the responses.

I don't have hydraulic jacks just air level and I don't have safety jacks. I hadn't thought of pulling out the generator so I'll try that and see if I can get under there to see exactly where it's leaking.

My apologies for posting on here so often for all the issues I've come across. I have come to rely on this forum as it has saved me countless hours of frustration and money by having all your help to troubleshoot and repair.

irishguy
Old 05-14-2020, 07:53 PM   #8

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Will I have to remove the compressor to fix it?

I can't get under there until I air up the coach. If I have to remove the compressor will the air bags suddenly deflate while I'm under there?
I am not familiar with the Monoco air ride suspensions. but there should be check valves to the little Thomas compressor to prevent the tanks/bags from deflating.

This is what I rigged up for safety bars on our coach (2" x2" x 11") when needing to get under it.

NOTE! Our coach has 4 outboard air bags per axle.. with 2 for the tag.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2517 (2).jpg
Views:	7
Size:	386.6 KB
ID:	285349   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2522 (2).jpg
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	285350  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2523 (2).jpg
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	285351  
Old 05-14-2020, 08:12 PM   #9

Thanks Saddlesore,

Those would definitely work and easily stowed when not in use. An easy fabrication too.

irishguy
Old 05-14-2020, 09:20 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
If you can get them, take some pictures of the compressor and tubing, then post them.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:50 PM   #11

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks Saddlesore,

Those would definitely work and easily stowed when not in use. An easy fabrication too.

irishguy
Be sure to measure the length needed for your coach. (We have a different brand/manufacturer of chassis.. Foretravel)
Old 05-15-2020, 05:58 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Another issue!
I turned on the auto air level to make sure we're level since the air tanks have drained down as we've been parked for three weeks.
The air tanks can be empty and the air bags can still be full/working. The air bags and leveling system are separated from the main air system by check valves. It is not uncommon for the tanks to be empty with the air leveling still working. This happens on my coach too. Reach behind the fender and feel the air bag with your hand - is it empty/soft or hard as a rock?

Quote:
The aux compressor kicked in and then I could hear the hiss of air escaping.
If the hissing stopped after a minute or two, its probably the auto-water-drain. Otherwise you have a leak - which you would expect to see the tank air pressure drop to zero while it is hissing.

Quote:
It was trying to re-level but never did. After about 5 mins the compressor shut off and the hiss stopped. The HWH control panel displayed "excess slope". I'm not too worried because the spot we're in is pretty level anyway.
That means the "level sensor" is out of adjustment. With the coach level (you can check with a carpenters level on the kitchen floor) if there are "yellow lights" lit on the HWH control panel, then the level sensor needs to be readjusted. I just did mine the other day. I can give you the instructions if you need them (or look in the HWH manual).

Quote:
The airbags never did inflate so no air was going from the aux compressor to the bags.
Could it just be the leveling system has dumped the air out in an attempt to level? Note the HWH system will always dump air out of the "high side" of coach to level and only add air to the low side if necessary.

Quote:

irishguy
If it is just an adjustment to the leveling sensor, it is not a hard fix.
BTW, you never said (or I missed it) what make/model Coach you have.
I'm assuming you have the HWH 2000 system.
CountryB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
The air tanks can be empty and the air bags can still be full/working. The air bags and leveling system are separated from the main air system by check valves. It is not uncommon for the tanks to be empty with the air leveling still working. This happens on my coach too. Reach behind the fender and feel the air bag with your hand - is it empty/soft or hard as a rock?

1. We have a 2003 Monaco Windsor. With the HWH system. From what I read and how it has operated, the leveling uses the air from the main air tanks to level and remain level until the air tanks drain down and then the aux compressor kicks in to supply air for leveling. On auto level sleep mode the system adjusts level as needed while parked.[/B]

If the hissing stopped after a minute or two, its probably the auto-water-drain. Otherwise you have a leak - which you would expect to see the tank air pressure drop to zero while it is hissing.

2. The hissing continued as long as the aux compressor was running which was 5 or 10 mins. The hissing was coming from the compressor. I think when the system couldn't level it just did an auto shut down and turned off the compressor. I'm fairly certain there is a leak at or near the aux compressor.

That means the "level sensor" is out of adjustment. With the coach level (you can check with a carpenters level on the kitchen floor) if there are "yellow lights" lit on the HWH control panel, then the level sensor needs to be readjusted. I just did mine the other day. I can give you the instructions if you need them (or look in the HWH manual).

3. The air leveling has been working normally the past 3 weeks. It would self adjust as needed. I took the chassis batts out for testing so there was no power to the leveling system for 3 days and by now there is insufficient air in the main tanks to use for auto level when I turned it on. I think that's why the compressor kicked in to do a small adjustment of the level as one side was slightly low as we put the slides back out after a wind storm blew by.

Could it just be the leveling system has dumped the air out in an attempt to level? Note the HWH system will always dump air out of the "high side" of coach to level and only add air to the low side if necessary.

4. No I don't think so. There was absolutely no inflation or deflation of the airbags while the compressor was running and while the hissing sound was happening. I'm thinking there is a leak at or near the compressor that prevented the system from doing a level adjustment. I've read that some aux compressors fill a small aux air tank for leveling but I've never seen one in the multiple times I've looked around under the coach. I've also read that some aux compressors feed directly into the airbags for leveling.

If it is just an adjustment to the leveling sensor, it is not a hard fix.
BTW, you never said (or I missed it) what make/model Coach you have.
I'm assuming you have the HWH 2000 system.
Thanks CountryB.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
If you can get them, take some pictures of the compressor and tubing, then post them.
Bill, I sent you a private message yesterday.

irishguy

Tags
air, compressor