Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2017, 08:06 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Aux compressor

I just replaced the HWH aux compressor on my 04 Signature. It is installed just ahead of the drive axle in all the weather and slop. WHAT was Monaco thinking??? I have seen other brand coaches with it installed in a bin out of the weather, (good idea)... I have heard of people making a cover around the compressor with sheet metal. Anybody done that or I was thinking about moving it inside a bin. Problem is I would have to move 3 bins forward. First bin has holding tanks, second has Aqua Hot so no room in them. One other possibility is to install it in the last bin on the pass side behind tag axle. I don't have batteries in it just storage.
Any Ideas????

Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2017, 08:32 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Your Monaco is a couple of years newer than mine, but Monaco put the aux pump in the same place on mine. I couldn't imagine a pump surviving with the mag chloride we use on the streets here, so I put two check valves in a row at the original line, then I put in a cutoff valve in the closest bay, then ran DOT air lines back to my Dewalt compressor that I use for tire inflation. ( I also put in a air dryer and regulator close to the compressor). It runs less often, has multiple purposes and I just turn the shutoff valve before I travel. ....So long answer, yes you can move the pump. I used DOT push to connect fittings...easy stuff, just be sure to use brake line hose and not cheap multipurpose supply line.

The original unit gets a signal from the HWH system at a certain pressure, so you would have to extend that wire too.
kgchampagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:55 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Dave, the Aux compressor in my 2007 Exec was inside a basement compartment on the passenger side. Very nice little cubby for it. It was a Power Gear system vs HWH.

The Thomas Aux compressor on my 04 Signature is not working either. I'm thinking about replacing it with a Viair Industrial grade compressor. The Thomas compressors are $499 and I can get a Viair Industrial compressor for $200. These are heavy duty sealed units and should survive much better in an exposed environment.

Does anyone know the specs on the original Thomas compressor. I need to know the CFM rating and how many amps it is fused at.

I really like kgchampagne's idea of routing an air line into one of the compartments.

IG-Series Compressors | VIAIR Corporation
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:13 AM   #4

The auxiliary compressor on our coach was mounted up between the the drive wheels. After many problems I moved it into the basement compartment in front of the drive axle on the passenger side. It is also where my Aqua-hot lives. There was plenty of room, it works great and is out of the weather. PS: I used a Firestone 9285 compressor, works well, almost identical size and much, much cheaper than OEM.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:06 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vito, I read others have used the Viair compressor and some reported it was noisy when running and woke them up in the night. My old Thomas unit was almost silent when it ran. I had to stick my head inside the wheel well to even hear it.

Bill my first bin in front of the drive axle is the holding tanks then Aqua Hot bin and it is full, pressure tank, water filters, pump, water manifold and lots of piping. I am thinking of installing it in the bin after the tag axle. Some coaches have it full of batteries but mine is empty, just storage. I have not checked out the Firestone 9285 compressor. Is it quiet??

I saved the old Thomas compressor (very dirty) and I am going to clean it up and try to make it work again for a spare. The new compressor bought from NW RV Supply in Eugene, OR. cost $375 (list price was $450). It was a complete unit, just 4 bolts, unplug wire and unplug the air line and remove and install new one. All connections were exactly the same.

Dave
Old 10-21-2017, 09:32 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Glad I have been following this thread. I realized that I haven't heard my pump run in about a week or so . Drain air out, yup, not running. Luckily it was a bad pressure switch and I just happen to have a spare.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjake1 View Post
Glad I have been following this thread. I realized that I haven't heard my pump run in about a week or so . Drain air out, yup, not running. Luckily it was a bad pressure switch and I just happen to have a spare.

John is the one we talked about by the front of coach ( right side) on my coach.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:53 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Boomer View Post
John is the one we talked about by the front of coach ( right side) on my coach.
Yes, same one .
Old 10-21-2017, 08:04 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Recall reading a thread by Mike Cantor who built a shield for his.
Mine is mounted up front.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:11 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Luckily mine is in the electrical bay under the driver in front of the front axle. No chance of getting wet unless in a flood!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:26 PM   #11

Maybe this can be a small discussion at QZ in January.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:28 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Boomer View Post
Maybe this can be a small discussion at QZ in January.
Sure! Tuesday? lol We can take a look at yours then I am sure.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjake1 View Post
Sure! Tuesday? lol We can take a look at yours then I am sure.

I plan on being there 18 or 19th. I know you are already doing a show and tell for the Guardian plates. John do you still need to do your slide toppers tighten? I just need to do one bedroom and passenger side large one.
I plan on getting X Braces installed.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:38 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I planning no more repairs. ..I hope..knock on wood!

Tags
compressor