RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #1

AV equipment replacement

I have a 2006 HR Scepter with the factory RCA home theater/radio/vcr/dvd combo unit. It appears that it is on it's last legs. The DVD drawer won't open, the last time we viewed a DVD it had an overall pink tint. I would like to replace this with a minimum amount of fuss. Has anyone come up with a replacement unit and not had to buy the whole box and speaker set. I won't need the radio or VCR but do want the home theater and DVD capabilities. I am working on ways to reduce the heat in the cabinet to help alleviate future problems. Let me know what youm have done and found to replace/upgrade this equipment. Thanks for the help.
cjkroodsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #2

I installed new LED TV's in my 98 Discovery which has HDMI connections. I then eliminated the coax switch box and installed a HDMI one and plugged an XBOX 360 into it so I can use it as a DVD player, media player and watch Netflix. I can also stream movies from my Laptop to the XBOX.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #3

That would give me thr DVD player. How did that integrate with the home theater speakers?
cjkroodsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjkroodsma View Post
That would give me thr DVD player. How did that integrate with the home theater speakers?
My coach doesn't have surround sound, you could use RGB adapter on the XBOX as well which gives you the Red and White plug so you can control surround sound.

Another route you can go is get a mini receiver and use that as the HDMI switch/speaker manager. It will give you true surround sound.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:08 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Our RV had a Sony system with VCR, radio, and DVD. We just wanted surround sound and a Blue Ray player. I looked at a separate receiver and Blue Ray (around $375). It was cheaper to buy a Samsung Home Theater system (around $225). We just did not use the speakers that came with it. When installing it just make sure you label the wires as you remove them from the old system. You will most likely need to cut the speaker wires to attach the connectors that come with the new system. Speakers also have a + and side make sure you know what side is what. As a side note Monaco wired the subwoofer wrong and I corrected it. Very big difference with the speakers wired correctly.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:13 AM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I replaced my RCA unit years ago when I replaced the TV. Your RCA unit has six speaker wires that plug/snap into the back of the unit. They're color coded along with the back of the RCA unit. I went to Best Buy and was lucky enough to find an open box return Sony Home Theater system. The speakers were a little beat up, but I wasn't going to use them so it worked well. Sony uses a plug similar to the RCA plug (I'm guessing most units do). I cut the plugs off of the wires that ran to the MH speakers and connected the plugs used on the Sony unit to the wires. This made everything pretty much plug and play.

I also eliminated my Winegard switchbox at the time and used HDMI connections from my sat to the TV and from the Home Theater to the TV. When you eliminate the switchbox, (which you must do to use a blue ray and have it work right - HDMI connection) you lose the abillity to send what you're playing on the DVD palyer to the bedroom TV. I solved this when I replaced the picture tube TV in the bedroom with a flat screen, by buying a flat screen with a built in DVD player.

My coach has a cabinet to the right and left of the front overhead TV. In the back of the left cabinet, there is a vent at the rear that blows toward the windshield. I installed a 3" computer fan at the back that draws air from the front and out through the vent. I placed the Home Theater unit on the floor of the cabinet and then glued one inch rubber feet to the bottom of my DirecTV receiver and placed that on top of the Home Theater unit. I then stacked the Winegard HD sat power unit on top of that. This allows more air flow between the units. The DirecTV box vents out the bottom. When in hot weather, I run the fan all the time with the door open. Once I turn on the DirecTV reciever, the cabinet door is left open until we depart the campsite. They produce heat even in sleep mode.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:25 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
To add to Don's post, the speaker wires that plug into the back of the RCA are grouped into an adapter with a Molex plug on the end that connects to house wiring. Unplug that adapter from the back of the RCA and then disconnect the Molex plug. That allows you to take the adapter to your work bench, etc, making for better working conditions. It is then easy to cut off the color coded plugs that went to the RCA and replace them with what ever plug comes with the new unit.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:24 AM   #8

Also to note, if you do not label the speaker wires, you can take any small battery ( aa, aaa, 9 volt, etc) and touch the leads of the speaker to the positive and negative of the battery and the speaker will make static. That way you can verify you have the correct speaker location. You can also use a vom on ohms resistance to do the same thing.
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:49 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have replaced our surround sound unit twice. First went high end with a Yamaha A/V receiver turned out to be more trouble than it was worth. Now we have a TV with lots of inputs and a low priced Philips Surround sound unit. It came with speakers but we did not use them. Unlike the Yamaha the Philips works with a unpowered sub woofer (just like the RCA) so was able to reuse the existing speakers. We ran a digital coax from the TV to the Surround sound for all TV sound, works great. The unit is Philips HTS3531/F7 5.1-Channel DVD Home Theater System for $98 from Walmart, the Blu-Ray on is 119 and the one with WiFi is 148.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement