RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2020, 11:28 PM   #1

Awning Help needed

Been reading and learning for some time and finally decided to register and seek some help. New to us, 2005 Monaco Knight with a puzzling awning issue. Last weekend, after being out for a week, went to put the awning in to depart the camp ground. Carefree Eclipse awning, and no retraction of the awning. Checked the plug going into the motorhome and contacts looked good. Opened the motor covering and all contacts clean and tight. Tried both the switches in the motorhome and on the awning arm. Nothing. After looking for a mobile repair service, on a Sunday,(no luck) decided to try the awning again. About 20 minutes after I had first tried it. To my surprise, it retracted slowly. Any suggestions as to what to look for?
Spirit5js is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2020, 06:54 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bad connection, switch on the arm. Heard of this happening before, with a friend of mine. Connections corroded.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:40 AM   #3

Spirit5js, I'm going to offer another suggestion for you. I see this was your first post on this forum so it is very possible that you may be new to RV'ing. Maybe not. But I wanted to share my humble opinion that it is not a good practice to leave an awning extended when you are either away from your rig or in bed for the night. The sorts of winds that damage awnings happen, usually, on very short notice.

Just this last winter, in Yuma, we were sitting out with friends and saw a tree about 5 spaces down start break-dancing! Leaves were flying and so was the dust. It was nothing more than your typical dust devil. But if there would have been an extended awning in its path, it would likely not have survived.

As for our retraction issue, Gramps had a good recommendation for you. Hopefully if you check it out, you'll be good to go for a long time. Cheers and have fun with your coach!
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:16 AM   #4
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Any chance you had the ignition key on? Is there an on/off switch nearby that was not ON.

And welcome to the forum.

If it retracted slowly once it did come in have you tried it again? Some can develop a slip in the motor end cap and the motor will run but the awning will not retract well or at all.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:38 AM   #5

I have not tried it since. Don't want to go through that stress again. There is a switch inside that is an ON/Off for the awning and I made sure that was on. As others suggested, I'll be checking the switch on the arm. Thanks for the suggestions, and if there is anything else to check, let me know.
Spirit5js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:01 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

When the awning doesn't move at all when pushing the switch, use a voltmeter and check for 12VDC at the motor.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:51 PM   #7

Don't want to hijack this, but on my 2008 diplomat the awning retracts real slow. I was wondering if the gas shocks could be the problem? Does anyone know if they art there to help with closing or to help with opening?
Old 08-06-2020, 09:01 PM   #8

They are slow with 12V.
The installer that put I my new one brings a 18V battery! They roll good on 18V !
Old 08-07-2020, 09:34 AM   #9
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit12 View Post
Don't want to hijack this, but on my 2008 diplomat the awning retracts real slow. I was wondering if the gas shocks could be the problem? Does anyone know if they art there to help with closing or to help with opening?

Watch it very closely to see if the motor is slipping. Making an assumption hear because I have a 2008 Endeavor. I swapped the end caps but that did not last long. That is, the end pieces were swapped with each other. Eventually that drive end started slipping again. The motor assembly is not cheap so I drilled, pinned, and Jb Welded the one end with the motor. It will turn or explode now.

The power for mine comes through a bulk head connector and many folks have had corrosion issues with that. There are two rivets on the head of the arm with the motor. You can use a 12-18 volt tool battery to test there. It is a bit tricky to do but if you have an issue where it won't close it is a way to sometimes run it.

You should be able to measure the voltage on those two rivets while someone activates the switch but in any case you need to be very careful to not get knocked off a ladder.

As for the rams, I do not think they would be the issue based on prior reports on the forum.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 052547-001r6, Eclipse AM Installation Manual.pdf (832.0 KB, 4 views)
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:42 AM   #10

Unplug cable from outside wall of coach up near awning arm and spray wd40 into plug an receptacle,let air out for a minute then plug in and run awning in and out a few times. WD40 dries and lubes electric connections.
Wrapped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:51 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
More on Awning Wont Move

"Wrapped" is correct: moisture can find its way into the through-wall electrical connector and cause corrosion. WD 40 will displace the water, and after it dries, lightly applying dielectric grease to the pins and sockets of the connector can help prevent a recurrence. Also remember that the awning is usually powered by the chassis battery, so if chassis battery voltage is low or its terminals are corroded, the awning motor may not get enough operating current.
Fredred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning