Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2021, 02:45 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Awning Help Please

We have a 2012 Monaco Dynasty Palace with automatic Gerard awnings with remote control. Remote & Awnings have been working just fine. Then the Remote did not let us put awning out. We saw No lights on the remote when we hit the button so thought that maybe the battery went dead. We replaced the battery & still no light & no movement on the awning.

We called Gerard. They said First thing to check (after remote battery) is to see IF any power is going to the awning. Gerard had no idea as to where, on this motorhome, to check for power to the awning.
We have scoured our manual with no luck.
We have checked our exterior chassis fuses with no luck.
We have checked our interior multi-plex system with no luck.

Does anyone have any idea as to where we should or could LOOK for WHERE THE POWER to the AWNING MAY BE?

PS...Since we have a 2012 Monaco ~ We cannot get any info from REV as they bought Monaco in 2014.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2021, 03:24 PM   #2
Decrepit Forum Advocate

I've never owned a Monaco product but from just general information I have off the top of my head, Monaco used to keep the control boxes for the awnings in an interior cabinet on the right (passenger) side of the coach. Start looking inside the interior cabinets to see if you can see anything that resembles the awning control box with possibly a rocker switch on the side.

My hunch is it could still be the remote that may be malfunctioning as you'd think the lights on the remote would activate once the batteries were changed. But once you find the control box, you'll know for sure.

[Mod Edit]
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:21 PM   #3

Maybe I missed it but does your wall mounted switch work when engaging awning.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:34 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
@ theroc Yes, we have been looking in the cabinets also with no luck as yet. We will keep looking and reading ...

@ Outbound This rig does not have wall mounted switch/button for the RV awning, only buttons for the window awnings & they are working fine.

We thank you both for your input & if any other ideas come up that would be great!
Old 02-25-2021, 05:35 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
UPDATE ~ Outbound's thoughts made us search deeper & yes we FOUND a Manual Button! Inside a PS Cabinet behind our "xtra" coffee cups ....

Okay so Awning works so now thinking our Remote took a dump?
Will look remote up & was thinking we may have to get it programmed for our particular awning????

We sure thank you both very much for your time & input. Will let y'all know the outcome with the remote ...
Old 02-25-2021, 10:30 PM   #6
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Does your remote look like the one below?

If so, have your tried to change the channels (5 channels, each one of those small LEDs)? The icon with the round circle with an arrow is the function that changes the channels and you should see the lights change as you depress it each time. Maybe try it on each channel?

But if no lights are lit after pushing on that function, then maybe it's an RF issue --possible? Try walking around to different locations/positions.

My understanding is that you don't have to do any "re-programming" of the remote itself so I don't believe you have to be concerned about that.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Girard remote.png
Views:	3
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	319333  
Old 02-25-2021, 10:39 PM   #7
Decrepit Forum Advocate

I take that back about the programming. There actually is a sequence to follow to "pair" the remote with the control unit.

I've attached the instructions ...one for the single-channel remote and the other for the multi-channel.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf multi-channel remote pairing.pdf (271.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: pdf single channel remote pairing.pdf (269.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 02-26-2021, 11:22 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
@ theroc ... Our remote does not have the 5 channels. Also, on the grey circle area we only have an up (IN) & down (OUT) button. We do not have the light bulb or return circle on our grey circle.

I did open the single channel remote pairing LINK you so graciously attached, & see if maybe for some reason the "pairing" got off kilter but reading thru the LINK instructions says on #2) to "push the P2 button on the back" of remote. ??? I have NO BUTTON on the back and the pic shown on the paperwork has NO BUTTON on the back ... So I'm confused on this?

When I push the center button we get no light that comes on at all. When we used it before we always had a light that came on.

Can't figure out how to attach a pic of our remote? When I open insert image icon it wants the url?
Old 02-26-2021, 11:28 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Awning Remote Pics

? Maybe I figured out how to attach the Remote pics???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Remote.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	319397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Back Remote.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	319398  

Old 02-26-2021, 12:28 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Girard says the Remote must have just died as no light comes on when middle button is pushed. $152 bucks to replace thru Girard. When asked if there is an aftermarket universal replacement that can be bought ~ answer was "possibly" but we cannot help you with that. SO, now we are trying to search as to what may work with a Gerard RV Awning model GC104. I am searching now & Again, any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-26-2021, 05:31 PM   #11
Decrepit Forum Advocate

It seems as I remember somebody on the forum saying that Girard uses some components, including remotes, in which they outsource from Somfy.

Perhaps you can contact Somfy to see if they know of an alternate remote you'd be able to use assuming it was they who made the remote you have.

Somfy remote controls

Use the "contact us" link. If you look around their website, it appears they are into making a lot of sophisticated "smart" devices so hopefully they can come up with something.

This is from their blog and has to do with home window coverings and remotes but I wonder if you delve further into their blog, you'll find something closer to your application. I wouldn't think that the remotes and control boxes for window shades and RV awnings would be too much different as their functions are similar.

How to Add New Remotes to Control Your Motorized Window Coverings

Otherwise, I'm thinking that if anybody who is into these types of electronics could fabricate an RF device of some sort to use and function similarly to what what you need. A simple in-and-out functionality with only-one channel should be easy to do for somebody who is familiar with that type of stuff. It's definitely not me, though. :P
Old 02-27-2021, 08:02 PM   #12
C20

theroc,
We have that type of remote in our new to us 2015 Dynasty. I'm thinking of ordering a spare, because no doubt, when you have to leave or be somewhere it won't work. Haven't done the deep dig on a manual switch, but didn't see any when we did the walk through with all the cabinets empty.

If anyone would happen to know on a 2015 Dynasty where they would be, might save me some money to not buy a spare until I needed one.

Thanks
C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:03 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Girard uses Somfy motors and remotes. I found one on eBay very reasonable. Then the challenge is programming it.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, awning, remote, replace, replacement