RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Question Awning Tension adjustment

Newbie(s) who can't figure out how to loosen the tension on pull straps our Carefree Omega II slide-out cover & window awning. The dealer in Calif (we are in MD) over tighten them. The pull strap is way to tight. Awning and cover work OK, however when closing the fabric does'nt roll into place...it is just folds up will eventully result in a more serious problem.
Carefree website & manual didnt help
cfyanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #2

I guess I'm not completely understanding what's happening. The slide topper awning is attached to the side of the coach, and attached to the awning tube, and the window awning is a piece of the slide topper awning. The awning strap is slid into the awning tube in a slot. As I understand it, when the slide opens, it unrolls the topper awning which tightens the spring in the awning tube. when you pull on the awning strap. it also tightens the awning tube spring and unrolls the window awning. Using the awning rod, you release the pressure on the awning strap, the awning tube springs will start to rotate the tube which will wind up the window awning onto the awning tube.

The only thing I can think of that would make the window awning go in pleats is if the awning tube is not rotating. When you remove the awning strap, do you use the metal awning rod to let the spring tension roll up the awning? If not that mey be what's causing the problem. That's my best guess.

Jim

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:27 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfyanes View Post

The pull strap is way to tight. Awning and cover work OK, however when closing the fabric doesn't roll into place...it is just folds up will eventually result in a more serious problem.

Carefree website & manual didn't help
Your statement above doesn't make any sense. The only tension on a Pull-Strap is placed there by the person pulling on it otherwise it is either attached to the Pull-Strap holder or it is flapping in the wind. In fact when referring to tensions on the Carefree awning/slide topper systems, it is only the spring inside the tube that will have tension on it so it can roll up the awning properly.

If the fabric doesn't roll up into place correctly, that would tell me that the spring inside the tube does NOT have enough tension on it.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post

If the fabric doesn't roll up into place correctly, that would tell me that the spring inside the tube does NOT have enough tension on it.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I agree with Dr4Film. The way the tension works on the slide topper is that is tightest when the slide is all the way out and loosest when the topper is in. So, if it's not rolling up when you're pulling the slide in it would seem you don't have *enough* tension.

Or, the fabric is getting caught.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Suggest you get someone knowledgeable to work on your awing. These are dangerous and should not be taken lightly. I can explain how to tighten the awning but if you have never worked on one I would suggest getting someone who has experience. If you think you can do it, let me know and I will provide instructions and a helpful link.
chiefdave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning