Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2020, 09:03 PM   #43

We spent the last few days adding reflectix to the outside windows of our rig and it has made quite a difference. Since we're not usually in the back half of the coach in the daytime, I bought a cheap tension rod and a curtain panel at WalMart up there up on the 95 to block off the back half of the rig. It will keep the front half much cooler in the heat of the day. Also pick up a few small fans at WalMart while you're there to circulate the cool air, makes a WORLD of difference. I think we paid about $15 each, and got two of them.

You can also walk down the aisle to that nice pool, they now have the "shower cascades" in the pool, which are nice to stand under and cool off. Go in the evening, there are less people there at night and on weekdays. Oh, and the jacuzzi is now open, too if you'd like a nice soak. I know, they took the chairs and table out, but at least they're open now
DesertLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2020, 10:14 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Some more info the portable unit seems to be keeping almost the entire coach at 76 degrees it’s a smaller btu than one unit on the roof.

So ether the roof units are bad -I don’t think so cause their ice cold at the vents, the ducting is bad, they don’t move enough air, or the design of how Monaco set up the ac is very bad.

I am leaning to the combo of the cfm and ducts work.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:39 PM   #45
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biljol View Post
Some more info the portable unit seems to be keeping almost the entire coach at 76 degrees it’s a smaller btu than one unit on the roof.

So ether the roof units are bad -I don’t think so cause their ice cold at the vents, the ducting is bad, they don’t move enough air, or the design of how Monaco set up the ac is very bad.

I am leaning to the combo of the cfm and ducts work.
The color of your MH makes a huge difference, saying that we ran a 2 hose portable 12500 btu in our 38 Fleetwood with a full wall. We were in Tucson and Yuma for several years during the summer. Running both ACs with window awnings front windshield cover it still wouldn't keep it cool bought and used the portable ac and we could set our thermostat as cold as we wanted. There just too much heat gain. The outside walls of the MH would get to 165f during the day.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:43 PM   #46

Got a question. Are there any RV parks near Green Valley AZ or Tucson that are covered? You'd think with the AZ heat there would be covered RV park pads!
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:45 PM   #47
Cat

Koa Tucson has spaces covered by huge solar panels. But no others.
Safe Travels
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:26 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
So far the portable ac is working. What I think is so odd is the 10000 btu portable units cools almost the entire coach without running the roof ac.

Could someone explain why 10000 btu can cool the coach but a 15000 and 13000 running together can’t.

To be clear the air from the ducts is very cold it actually makes the registers cold to the touch.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:49 AM   #49

Are you running the roof A/C AND the portable? If so, it's the combination... the extra BTUs are enough to overcome the heat from the sun. And you haven't said if you have a dark-colored MH. Nother topic: if someone in AZ, especially Tucson, would build an RV park with covered RV pads, that park owner would really clean up!
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:10 AM   #50

We wintered in the Phoenix area for several years. When the temps got to 100+ there was no way our 2 AC units could keep up. Fortunately we were in a park where we owned the lot, and put a cover over almost the complete lot. That gave us shade for the MH and for us when we were outside. Owners without cover just had to go North.
GQ
Gquilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:45 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Tommar,

As mentioned that’s the odd thing. The 10000btu unit cools the coach without the roof units running.

Coach is tan with a white roof.
Old 06-07-2020, 03:49 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
GQ

My DW and I were just talking about a rv park that was covered. The main issue I see is during the winter people may not want the cover.

I guess you could do fabric shades that are put in place in the summer with an additional cost to the visitor.

Anyone with a about 1m dollars laying around want to get in on this. PM me.
Old 06-11-2020, 03:42 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Ok my Costco order has arrived portable 10k mini split will be picking up and setting up today. Unless something comes up.

Will keep you all posted.

The old portable was working but loud and takes up a lot of room.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:36 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Was just going over the manuals and it looks like you can disconnect the to units. For installation this is a game changer it means you can set this up in your coach as a basement unit!
Old 06-11-2020, 04:42 PM   #55
Commercial Member

i saw a owner in las vegas cover his whole roof with the reflective silver material that normally is used on windows. he said it keeps inside about 75 to 80 when its 110 outside. i didnt go in, so i dont know for sure.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:52 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Ok unit installed was very simple unpack run the tube in the window plug in and turn on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2553.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	289216
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2550.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	289217

It it very quiet mostly wind noise the air is cold. I think I would prefer a bit more volume but a fan near the outlet would help.

Was hot here today 108 and the old unit worked to keep it cool even though we could not talk to each other over the noise. This is a definite upgrade over it on noise.

I have not looked at power usage but am sure it’s less than anything else I was using.

I do think it would be good as a basement ac unit I would have liked it to have heat.