RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2007, 04:32 PM   #1

Well we made it home from our Colorado vacation last night. The trip home was uneventful except we got stuck in downtown St. Louis for apprximately an hour with the construction going on.
The motorhome performed well on the interstate's and did okay on the two lanes in the mountains.
Got in a little trouble on our last day of offroading in the mountains with the liberty. Went up corkscrew gulch again but after it had rained the day before. Got near hurricane pass and came upon a area that had slid and covered part of the jeep trail. The soft sandy rocky material got me bogged down and when I tried to back out of it the jeep kept wanting to sideslip down the slope. Couldn't get it out and the liberty was pretty much on her nose and much more and I think it would have been down the mountain. Luckily some ATV's came up the trail behind us, saw or predicament and went back down several miles where the county crews were maintaining the jeep trails and came up with their backhoe and we hooked a chain to the rear axle and put it back on the road. I think the Good Lord was watching out for us that day. Could have sat up there a while or had to walk out but for the county employee named Bobbie who came up with the backhoe. He said it was so steep he didn't think his backhoe was going to make it up a couple of switchbacks.
Now I just have to get the seal fixed on the rear bedroom slide from where the bear decided he liked the taste of Holiday Rambler.
All and all it was a very relaxing vacation.
If your ever in the area then you have to try the Ouray hot springs pool. Sulpher free swimming pools filled with various degrees of hot spring water. Very invigorating.
Letsgoagain

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2007, 04:32 PM   #2

Well we made it home from our Colorado vacation last night. The trip home was uneventful except we got stuck in downtown St. Louis for apprximately an hour with the construction going on.
The motorhome performed well on the interstate's and did okay on the two lanes in the mountains.
Got in a little trouble on our last day of offroading in the mountains with the liberty. Went up corkscrew gulch again but after it had rained the day before. Got near hurricane pass and came upon a area that had slid and covered part of the jeep trail. The soft sandy rocky material got me bogged down and when I tried to back out of it the jeep kept wanting to sideslip down the slope. Couldn't get it out and the liberty was pretty much on her nose and much more and I think it would have been down the mountain. Luckily some ATV's came up the trail behind us, saw or predicament and went back down several miles where the county crews were maintaining the jeep trails and came up with their backhoe and we hooked a chain to the rear axle and put it back on the road. I think the Good Lord was watching out for us that day. Could have sat up there a while or had to walk out but for the county employee named Bobbie who came up with the backhoe. He said it was so steep he didn't think his backhoe was going to make it up a couple of switchbacks.
Now I just have to get the seal fixed on the rear bedroom slide from where the bear decided he liked the taste of Holiday Rambler.
All and all it was a very relaxing vacation.
If your ever in the area then you have to try the Ouray hot springs pool. Sulpher free swimming pools filled with various degrees of hot spring water. Very invigorating.
Letsgoagain

Old 09-29-2007, 07:23 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Glad to hear you made it home...but sorry it wasn't as smooth as glass coming out. You have given everyone with a complete idea of what life could be like at Ouray...love it...now if there is only some "non-stinkable bear repellent" we could all use!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 03:21 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Great trip-report, and glad all is well.

I had to go back and read it twice before I saw that you took the JEEP off-roading and not the coach. Was beginning to get worried!

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:14 AM   #5

Ronboc,
I think you've hit on a marketing idea there. A four wheel drive motorhome. Bet that would get some good mileage eh?
You know out West it seems we saw a RV in every driveway and also some in the strangest out of the way in the middle of no where locations but if I had seen one on the jeep trails we were on I would have went into mild shock. I believe I would have to locate the owner and shake their hand for getting it there.
Letsgoagain
Old 10-02-2007, 12:15 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I'd bet getting an rv INTO there is going to be less than half of getting it OUT of there.

Several rv's ago, I had a 28' Class-C that came with 3 bent rims. Service manager tried to say that I did it from going over curbs, til I showed him that ground-clearance wasn't high enough to clear most curbs.

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:20 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Glad to hear all is well. Sounds like it was a bit scary with your Liberty... but isn't that why you do that 4-wheeling thing? A good story with a happy ending... what we all love! Safe travels!
Old 10-06-2007, 02:37 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Hey, we just got back from Colorado. We where in Buena Vista, for the annual atv color tour. The weather was outstanding this year. The trails where good, and the tour was great. I did not see any stuck jeeps, but it sounds like u had fun..
Okrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:11 AM   #9

I have ridden some pretty tough trails in the mountains, and have been amazed the travel trailers, fifth wheels, and motorhomes I have seen up some of these trails. I have always wondered how they would ever meet.

I meet some on the atv's and glad I wasn't on anything wider.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote