RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2020, 04:59 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Basement Dial/Sensor/Fan Question

We need input from you experts who’ve owned a pre-2005 Dynasty, please.

There is a dial in the basement that is connected to a temperature sensor. There is no label on the front of the dial to indicate which way to turn for different settings.
(please refer to attached photos)

There is very little mentioned in our 2002 Owner’s Manual, but from what I can gather from older threads in this forum, this dial is connected to a blower/fan that will turn on if it gets too cold in the basement.

I have not been able to get this system to work in the Winter when we have below freezing nights.

My Aqua-Hot operates normally and the heat kicks on based on the thermostats up inside the ‘house.’

I am guessing that this dial can be turned one way to get the temp sensor to kick a heater fan on in the basement to keep pipes and the three tanks in the basement from getting too cold.

Please advise me on which way to turn the dial, and for what settings?

Where is the fan power switch located so I can make sure it is on before going to sleep on a cold night?

Any other info you can offer so I can be using this system in the manner which it was intended.

Thank you in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Basement Dial (1).jpg
Views:	13
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	295562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Basement Dial (2).jpg
Views:	14
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	295565  

Name:	Basement Dial (3).jpg
Views:	16
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	295566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Basement Dial (4).jpg
Views:	14
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	295567  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2020, 05:16 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
That is called the "Bay thermostat".
I adjust mine to about the 3 o'clock position. This is good for 40-50 degrees. Of course your Aqua Hot burner must be on and the inside thermostats must be set to heat.

From the owners manual:
During cold weather, locate the bay
thermostat next to the Aqua-Hot. This
thermostat controls the heat exchanger for
the holding tank bay heat. Adjust the thermostat
to 40 to 50° F. To help prevent freezing of the
water system.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:39 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
That is called the "Bay thermostat".
I adjust mine to about the 3 o'clock position. This is good for 40-50 degrees. Of course your Aqua Hot burner must be on and the inside thermostats must be set to heat.

From the owners manual:
During cold weather, locate the bay
thermostat next to the Aqua-Hot. This
thermostat controls the heat exchanger for
the holding tank bay heat. Adjust the thermostat
to 40 to 50° F. To help prevent freezing of the
water system.

Got it. Thank you, vito.

AquaHot is always powered on as are the inside thermostats when I am trying to operate the Bay Thermostat.

There is nothing on the dial to tell me where 40-50* might be located. I have tried on several occasions to "adjust the thermostat" but no fan ever comes on when it is freezing outside and my basement is cold. Have tried all the way to the left, and all the way to the right.... When I took the photo today, the dial is pointing to 3 o'clock. It has been in that position all year.
Still, nothing happened this past Winter, when we had several cold nights. No blower/fan/exchanger.

My dial turns from 7 o'clock to 3:30. There is no way to know what the different positions represent. Do you have a photo of your dial with the numbers still on it?

Also, there should be a switch for the fan. Where might that switch be located? I think it might be either in the Lavatory, or next to the sink/vanity in the bedroom. Is the switch not being 'on' preventing the heat exchanger from coming on?

Please advise...
Old 08-02-2020, 07:23 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I am dealing with the same switch. With 2 inside ACs running, the basement bay heater fan, zone 4 was heating away using heat from the electric hot water which was turned on. It would appear that the switch has shorted inside causing the call for heat for zone 4. I tried turning it from high to low and back and tapped it but nothing would shut it off. It may be independent from the other zones as the pump 2 was running, and the fan for the bay heater was also running. To stop it, I disconnected one of the thermostat/thermocouple wires at the main board and it stopped the fan and the pump. I guess I will need to replace the thermostat/thermocouple combo. You may be looking at the same possibility. Hope this may help. Happy Trails Bert
Old 08-02-2020, 08:09 PM   #5

Here is a picture of mine with aquahot bay heater. In cold weather, it works just fine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20200802-210455.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	295582  
fcmcelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:45 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
this photo was helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcmcelr View Post
Here is a picture of mine with aquahot bay heater. In cold weather, it works just fine.

Thank you for this photo. It does help a lot and I've saved it for future reference.

If I set it to 50*, does that mean the basement heat exchanger should come on automatically when the basement temp near the tanks gets down to 50*?

And if I set it to 30* for example, the basement heat exchanger would not come on until the area gets down to 30*?

And can you tell me where the switch it located for the actual fan/heat exchanger itself?
Don't we have the ability to turn it on and off?

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2020, 06:59 AM   #7

The short answer is yes, whatever you set the bay thermostat for, aquahot will keep that bay temperature. That bay thermostat feeds zone 4 on the aquahot control board on my coach. The heater fan is also connected to zone 4 on this same board. The fluid loop for zones 2, 3 and 4 is the same hot water loop. So all 3 work off the same circulator pump. On my 08 Dynasty, zone 2 is for the bathroom, zone 3 is not used and zone 4 is for the bay heater. Note, don't confuse thermostat zones with aquahot zones. They are NOT the same. Look at your wiring schematic for the aquahot that came with your coach.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 38071413 (Schematic, Dual Heat Elements, Aqua-hot).pdf (154.8 KB, 6 views)
fcmcelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:46 AM   #8

Just some thoughts about the basement heat by AquaHot (ON COACHES LIKE MINE/OURS) ---

First, unless you are using your RV in really very cold weather, your basement will not get cold enough to freeze anything in that basement compartment, thanks to the heat that is "generated" in that area already by the AquaHot unit, itself. But it is nice to have it for those hopefully rare RV'ing experiences, and for when you may have your rig in winter storage but with electric power available to keep the AquaHot up to temperature.

Second, I would not see a need for setting that thermostat very far above freezing, as that is the only real reason for that piece of the heating system. I think ours is set for somewhere around 40 degrees, and that's actually higher than I think is necessary, but lacking precision on the dial, I've opted for that to give me adequate margin for error.

Third, on our coach that basement loop is part of the same zone as our bathroom heat exchanger. That is the standard that AquaHot used for a lot, if not most, if not all of the coaches at that time, at least. (I try not to say never or always, as both seldom truly apply.). That zone is also the zone that performs a "stir" function for the AquaHot. I don't know if it functions when the unit is on electric only, but whenever the diesel burner is running, it is important to "stir" the reservoir to avoid local overheating of the fluid adjacent to the burner. When the diesel burner is running, so is that circulating pump, and it is important that it not be kept from being able to do that. In that mode, it is not necessary for any of the fans to operate, and they don't. The only thing that needs to run is the zone circulating pump.

That zone on your AquaHot system is really a triple-function zone, and all three functions are controlled by completely independent devices. The basement heat is controlled entirely by that bay thermostat that you showed in your picture. It calls for operation of the zone pump and the basement fan, only. The bathroom heat is controlled entirely by the thermostat in your living area. It calls for the operation of the zone pump and the heat exchanger fan, only. The "stir" function is controlled entirely by the AquaHot control board according to the needs of the boiler control logic. It calls for the operation of the zone pump, only.

I hope this fills in some blanks for you regarding how that system operates.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:01 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Perfect way of laying out the operation Jim!

My thermostat bottoms out (Counter Clockwise) at 40 degrees and that is where I have it set.

Tim
Old 08-12-2020, 08:26 AM   #10

I think ours is at about the same point as yours, Tim.

I'm attaching two items. One is an image of the thermostat as shown in our '06 Dynasty Owners Manual, and the other is a photo of the thermostat in our coach. I don't know if the markings match up with the numbers above them or below them, or if the markings are "on the five's", or what. But at least it may give some idea of the settings.

My first choice would be to get lucky enough to be near the coach when the basement was actually at maybe 35 to 40 degrees and tweak the setting until the zone just does come on. But until then, I'm good, right? Cheers all!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1849.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	296856  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Basement Thermostat Image.pdf (111.7 KB, 6 views)
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:33 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaz View Post
Perfect way of laying out the operation Jim!

My thermostat bottoms out (Counter Clockwise) at 40 degrees and that is where I have it set.

Tim
I was wrong, mine is marked 41F dead center of the dial. 19F all the way counter clockwise and 61F all the way clockwise.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Basement Thermostat.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	296882  
Old 09-16-2020, 03:50 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JV View Post
I think ours is at about the same point as yours, Tim.

I'm attaching two items. One is an image of the thermostat as shown in our '06 Dynasty Owners Manual, and the other is a photo of the thermostat in our coach. I don't know if the markings match up with the numbers above them or below them, or if the markings are "on the five's", or what. But at least it may give some idea of the settings.

My first choice would be to get lucky enough to be near the coach when the basement was actually at maybe 35 to 40 degrees and tweak the setting until the zone just does come on. But until then, I'm good, right? Cheers all!

Thank you for this very useful information. I have saved this and will set it to approx 30* and see if it comes on later this Fall as the nights get cold.

I am not sure which 'Zone' on my thermostat would control the basement fan, but will make sure that both Climate Control Thermostats are set to Heat.

I have two zones in the bedroom and one zone in the living area.
Old 09-16-2020, 03:54 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcmcelr View Post
The short answer is yes, whatever you set the bay thermostat for, aquahot will keep that bay temperature. That bay thermostat feeds zone 4 on the aquahot control board on my coach. The heater fan is also connected to zone 4 on this same board. The fluid loop for zones 2, 3 and 4 is the same hot water loop. So all 3 work off the same circulator pump. On my 08 Dynasty, zone 2 is for the bathroom, zone 3 is not used and zone 4 is for the bay heater. Note, don't confuse thermostat zones with aquahot zones. They are NOT the same. Look at your wiring schematic for the aquahot that came with your coach.

Thank you for this information!

It appears to be more complicated than my 2002 system, with more zones and AC's, etc. But I have saved it and will play around with it this Fall as the nights start to get cold.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:19 AM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaceutah View Post
I have not been able to get this system to work in the Winter when we have below freezing nights.
If you just want to test to see if it is working, put the sensor in a glass of ice water.

Tags
basement heat, dial, fan