Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2015, 08:05 PM   #15

My Roadmaster base plate came with the frame cables.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2015, 08:57 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
People next to us this fall had their Blue Ox base plates separate from their toad. Ripped the front off the toad. Don't know about having the cables but the only base plates I have heard of separating have been Blue Ox. Glad I have a Roadmaster .
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:16 PM   #17

I think my friend does have a Blue Ox system.
I really don't mind adding a couple of cables, even though there is not much to attach to in a uni-body.

I guess I wouldn't mind knowing if the cables are a "regulation" or not.
Thanks, Iver.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:23 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
People next to us this fall had their Blue Ox base plates separate from their toad. Ripped the front off the toad. Don't know about having the cables but the only base plates I have heard of separating have been Blue Ox. Glad I have a Roadmaster .
Wow. I installed my Blue Ox and after drilling and putting in all the bolts on each side (with red Loctite to keep them from loosening), I have a hard time believing that could happen. I guess it may depend on the mount for the particular model that it's being attached to. I've seen some of the Jeep mounts and they seem less structurally sound compared to what I had to deal with.
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 04:56 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
Wow. I installed my Blue Ox and after drilling and putting in all the bolts on each side (with red Loctite to keep them from loosening), I have a hard time believing that could happen. I guess it may depend on the mount for the particular model that it's being attached to. I've seen some of the Jeep mounts and they seem less structurally sound compared to what I had to deal with.
Most baseplates are not installed by the owner/user. There is a huge variable in the skills of installers who do this work at dealerships, not to mention that they are working on the clock. I wonder how many installers actually use Loctite Red on the bolts and how many torque to the recommended specs.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:09 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
My Roadmaster base plate came with the frame cables.
Did the cables on one end wrap around the toad frame ? I would bet the cable went from the removable part of the brackets to the installed part of the brackets, Roadmaster has used this cable on the square receiver type brackets for years.
I also agree that you need to use loctite and torque the bolts and that may or may not get done by some installers.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:11 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
Did the cables on one end wrap around the toad frame ? I would bet the cable went from the removable part of the brackets to the installed part of the brackets, Roadmaster has used this cable on the square receiver type brackets for years.
Yes, a good point. While you are not addressing me, I have some input to share.

My previous base plate was Roadmaster. The baseplate that bolts to the vehicle did not have any cables that attached to the vehicle. The square-shafted removable mounts that attach to the baseplate have short safety cables that go between the mount and the baseplate. This is because the motorhome's safety cables attach to the mount, therefore they have the short cables to extend the safety factor to the baseplate, covering the situation where the mount separates from the baseplate. But they have no protection from the baseplate separating from the vehicle.

My current baseplate is from Blue Ox. The baseplate that bolts to the vehicle includes a set of safety cables that loop around the vehicle's frame, protecting against a seperation between the baseplate and vehicle. On the other hand, there are no safety cables between the removable mount and the baseplate. Why? Because the motorhome's safety cables attach directly to the baseplate, not the removable mounts.

The Blue Ox system has these safety cable connections: motorhome hitch --> baseplate --> toad frame.

The Roadmaster system has these safety cable connections: motorhome hitch --> removable mount --> baseplate. They have no safety connection between the baseplate and the toad's frame.

Also, many people hook their safety cables to the motorhome's hitch. In many cases, there is no safety cable connection to the motorhome's frame. It is not a bad idea to have a set of safety cables going from the motorhome's frame to the hitch. Ideally, you want a connection from the motorhome frame all the way to the toad's frame, in order to handle accidental separations at any point.

Granted, the odds of the baseplate coming off the toad are low, as are the odds of the hitch coming off the motorhome. But it can happen. Maybe not as often as the towbar coming loose, but still a possibility (even with locktite on the threads.)
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:09 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
It was on a Jeep.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:13 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
This is why we also have breakaway systems in our tow vehicles.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:23 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just finished installing the Blue Ox baseplates on my 2014 F150 and the two safety cables that attach the two baseplates to the frame were easy to install. Most easy baseplate install for me yet.

Curious observation though..... Blue Loctite is in a red tube and the Red loctite is in a blue tube. I had to do a double take on that.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:34 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
This is why we also have breakaway systems in our tow vehicles.
Yes... but a breakaway system is not a replacement for safety cables. (I'm not saying that you think otherwise, after all, you used the word "also" in your post.)

While there is a lot of debate in many circles, one school of thought says that the breakaway system should engage when the main hitch connection fails, but before the safety cables have been fully stretched out. The idea is that the brakes should engage to keep tension on the cables so that you can safely stop without being rear-ended by your toad or trailer. Also, the braking effect will alert you to something being wrong, otherwise you might not notice that the hitch as separated until the towed starts to wander into another lane or rear-ends you.)

There are those who say the breakaway shouldn't engage until after the safety cables have also failed. They appear to be under the assumption that the breakaway system will apply the toad's breaks so hard that it will snap the safety cables. This shouldn't be a problem with safety cables that are properly rated to handle the toad's weight: the maximum braking force for a typical car with a skilled driver and ABS brakes approaches 1G. It's doubtful that the breakaway system is skillful enough to apply optimum braking, and if it applies too much and locks up the wheels, the braking effect is actually reduced (since sliding friction is less than rolling friction - hence the adoption of anti-lock brakes.) So with breaking being no more than 1G, the tension on the safety cables are no more than the weight of the vehicle, so properly rated and attached cables should not fail. Now, some esoteric vehicles, like a Formula 1 race car can approach 5Gs during hard braking, but how many of us flat-tow an F1 car?
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:01 AM   #26

Rexhall Owners Group
This stuff actually does happen, and it is not just conjecture. On Dec. 29, on I-65 coming south through Nashville on a Monday morning, traffic started to slow down ( not unusual for Nashville) when I spotted a Jeep tight up against the left side guardrail. Just a little ways ahead, off the right berm was a Class A, with tow bar and what might have been parts of a baseplate still attached. These two were separated by 4 lanes of traffic !! Several other vehicles were stopped , but I was too busy trying to safely steer my Rv with Toad in the heavy traffic to determine if they were helping or involved.
Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:31 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
I hate to keep riding the same Old Horse,but!

As far as I can tell the RV Industry is ignored by the National Safety Board and Department of Transport in regard to many Safety related items. Whether this is an oversight or by design I do not know!

Every time that I have tried to get answers from the responsible Federal Government Departments ,they come back with remarks such as check with Your State or Provincial Government regulations on this matter.

Of course the State or Provincial people do the exact same thing and suggest contacting the Feds!

It would appear that there are No Regulatory bodies that really give a Rats Behind what the Manufacturers of Towing Equipment are doing . I can't find any Government Safety Labels attached to Tow Bars,Base Plates,Tow Hitches or Auxiliary Braking Systems!

I'm certainly not saying that any of the available products are seriously flawed or that any of the good people who design and build this stuff aren't putting forth what they believe are quality products, but seriously folks Who is keeping an eye on this stuff?

It appears to Me that each of Us must use Our Own Common Sense when dealing with these products.

There are an awful lot of None Mechanically inclined RV Owners ! Who is looking out for their best interests?
Old 01-21-2015, 06:22 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
Yes... but a breakaway system is not a replacement for safety cables. (I'm not saying that you think otherwise, after all, you used the word "also" in your post.)
I agree, cables are also needed. Although, my previous 5th wheel did not have cables or chains, only the breakaway brake system.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote