RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2016, 03:39 PM   #1

Batt Sw/ Retractable Step Sig 03

Hi guys,

Long time no write. We got back from our first trip at the end of November and its time for us to hit the road again. Who knows maybe we will make the Monaco Balloon Festival this year.

The trip was a huge learning experience and we had a great time. The machine is awesome and other than a control for outside lights on my bedroom control panel for check out those scary noises, this coach has everything I could ever want. I love the LP frig and LP cooktop. I never feel like I gotta get to a power cord anywhere. Now of course my dear hubby likes to watch tv, so on our down time we replaced the bedroom analog Panasonic TV and the Living room Sony Plasma monitor. They both now have hi def flat screens with digital tuners. Unfortunately they are fed by rica cables and will be in standard def until I can replace the AVS smart switch in the front and figure out how to run hdmi to the back. We also just converted our roof directv winegard to dish, 320 bucks thank you. We just didn't like directs's never ending contract and we had dish at the house so....

Anyway, I digress.
For the life of me I can't figure out the battery sw on the passenger side console. When its on and when its off. And why does it keep messing with my step? How do I keep my step out when we are parked and how do I keep it in when we leave it. And why does it take me 10 minutes to figure out the right battery sw position and step cover routine all the time?

I am totally lost with the battery sw, the retracting step and the step cover. Gosh I know you guys are LYAO right now. thank you so much.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2016, 06:44 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
That switch should be labeled "STEP". In one position the step should be governed by the door magnetic reed switch, When door is shut, step in, step out when door open. The other position the step is out unless the ignition is in run position, in which case it operates like the first case. That door reed switch may be bad if your step does not work like that.
Your DH is probably messing with his step cover switch as they work like a 3 way light switch in controlling the step cover.
I ripped out the Bose junk and installed a AV receiver with HDMI switching, sat receiver and blu ray player instead in the front space. One HDMI cable to front TV and surround speaker wires were an easy cable install.
If you stayed with Directv you could have used the old analog RG-6 cable to the rear client.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:24 PM   #3

Ok that was a great explanation on the step and Battery sw. I do believe the step and batt sw are working the way you described. So let me ask this, if the step is going in and out with the door, is the battery sw on or off. Do you believe that question? This is insane. I know its a stupid question but I gotta get this straight.

Now what further compounded the step in or out problem was the step cover behavior. When we went out, I thought I had it figured out, I labeled the step cover sw on the pass console in and out. I found out shortly that I had to sw the labels and somehow I thought it had something to do with the battery sw. So then I thought I mislabeled the battery sw too. So then I reversed the labels on/off on the battery sw. You can tell I was pretty messed up with it all. So it would just take me about ten minutes to get all the combinations of the 3 sws until I had the configuration I wanted.

I would love to get rid of the Bose system. I didn't know receivers had hdmi switching capability. So does that mean I can change bedroom tv to another source wo that AVS switcher? As far as the speaker wires, Bose used some kind of priority box hidden somewhere that connected to the 5 little bose speakers. I wouldn't have a clue how to run new wires to those speakers (with rica jacks or bare wire) from the new av receiver. Thats really the hangup for me.

The old analog RG6 cable going to the bedroom TV is bringing the ota antenna signal back . Its not hooked up to the satellite system as far as I know. Would it be possible to have it do both? OTA and satellite? Right now there are some rca cables connected to it for av. When we took it out last year we really didn't know which way to go, dish or direct but I hope we didn't mess this up. It just seemed easier for us cause we already had the receiver with all our recordings on it.

The way it is now, I am getting std def in the front and back. I could connect a hdmi cable to front tv from the dish 722vip and route the audio to the bose. That would work if the rca outputs and the hdmi on the dish receiver were both hot at the same time. If they're not then we couldn't watch tv in the bedroom because it only has rica cables to it back there. I still have the std def AVS switcher. pretty confusing, huh?

I would actually be fine with having hd in the front only, if I still could get any std satellite signal to the bedroom TV. Whatda ya think?

thank you
moira
Old 06-04-2016, 11:08 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
That is a lot to comment on. I'll start by saying the step cover switch is a three way in that changing the position of either the driver or passenger step cover switches effects the step cover in that it changes state, in or out. So you cannot tell by the position of the switch, just flip it if you want the cover to move.
The 722vip has the rf output active with HDMI active. It has been a while since I've had DISH but I don't believe the composite or RGB is active with HDMI. You could always get a HDMI splitter and run a HDMI cable to the back but the rear TV would need to be running the exact same resolution as the front. I would suspect you could not have a 1080P front and a 720 in back.

Running HDMI to the back should be reasonable. Others have done that. It depends on your layout. A search here might be a place to start. I know it can be done as the PO of my coach ran an extra RG-6 to the bedroom so he could have OTA and the Genie client. I think he went out the front firewall and through the extra cable conduit behind the front axle to the back then up into the bedroom.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:24 PM   #5

Thank you again.
I had written a note in my 722k manual that the component and the composite are hot at the same time. Not sure about the HDMI but I may be able to test that in my home easy enough. stay tuned.
The Aladdin connection, the bose dvd player and my xbox are all rca connections to the AVS switcher, so I still need to have that rca going to the back.

I talked to a RV shop and they just want an astronomical amount of money to switch the whole thing over to hd. I may get the front on hd and just leave the back as is.

Say do you know where they hide that bose lifestyle module in the coach, if I could get rid of that I think I could get a av receiver and then have such an easier setup. moira
Old 06-05-2016, 04:49 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moira View Post
Thank you again.

Say do you know where they hide that bose lifestyle module in the coach, if I could get rid of that I think I could get a av receiver and then have such an easier setup. moira
Let me check with my friend with a 2002 Sig and see where his Bose amp is located. As I remember his is under sink where his subwoofer is located, I may be wrong. Perhaps someone will chime in, Mine was in the overhead PS which made it easy, I just abandoned the Bose subwoofer to make cabling easier. I installed a smaller subwoofer in the DS front cabinet.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:45 PM   #7

Say I got a gigantic thing under the sink, that might be it, I can check tomorrow. What I can't figure out though is how to change the bose connections to normal connections for a new av receiver.
Moira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:32 PM   #8

Hey guess what,

on the 722k dish network receiver, the HDMI, component and composite (TV 1) outputs are all hot at the same time.

So now I can hook my dish receiver directly to the TV with HDMI, route the audio from the TV to the Bose lifestyle, and leave the back bedroom on std def with all the other analog inputs, bose dvd, vcr, aladdin or whatever. Everything going to the back is on rca.