Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2016, 05:08 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Batteries for my Dynasty

Hi Guys,

While beginning to prepare my coach for the trip to Q, I soon realized that I might have a battery issue. So I disconnected charged each one separately and load tested (5 batteries total 2-engine 3-coach). They all tested bad, not to surprising since they are over 5 years old lead acid ones and not deep cycle. They are 12 volts by the way. So I searched the site for recommendations for replacement, boy was I ever over whelmed by all the info out there.

I'm hoping someone out there can make things simpler for me to figure out what type of battery to replace these with. I feel I am still an RV rookie that knows almost nothing about these types of batteries.

The only time we boondock is at the races where there are no restrictions on running the generator. I like the idea of AGM batteries but don't know if my Heart Freedom Combi inverter/charger will work for AGM, and if it doesn't, what size or brand of deep cycles would be best.

I'm sorry, I do know that this has been hashed to death before on this site.

Thanks,
Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2016, 05:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by reride View Post
Hi Guys,

While beginning to prepare my coach for the trip to Q, I soon realized that I might have a battery issue. So I disconnected charged each one separately and load tested (5 batteries total 2-engine 3-coach). They all tested bad, not to surprising since they are over 5 years old lead acid ones and not deep cycle. They are 12 volts by the way. So I searched the site for recommendations for replacement, boy was I ever over whelmed by all the info out there.

I'm hoping someone out there can make things simpler for me to figure out what type of battery to replace these with. I feel I am still an RV rookie that knows almost nothing about these types of batteries.

The only time we boondock is at the races where there are no restrictions on running the generator. I like the idea of AGM batteries but don't know if my Heart Freedom Combi inverter/charger will work for AGM, and if it doesn't, what size or brand of deep cycles would be best.

I'm sorry, I do know that this has been hashed to death before on this site.

Thanks,
Steve
5 year old chassis batterys should not be bad . However if they are go to a high volume truck dealer and buy your chassis batterys there as they have tons of the 31 series u will need as almost all highway rigs use them and they have the best prices
as far as the coach batterys and you having three 12 volters most likely go to Costco and get yourselves (3) 27RV batterys
my self personally I would not waste my money on AGM as there expensive and you don't boondock enough to warrant such
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:07 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Select55,

I was considering the AMG for maintenance reasons. I live in the desert southwest where the temps are 100+ for 4-5 months of the year. so, no need to add water every month or so.

Aside from not knowing what size battery would be best, I'm not sure if my inverter/charger will work with them, meaning do I need to stick with wet batteries?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 12-20-2016, 07:11 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
These batteries are at least 5-yrs old. They were in the coach when I bought it % years ago.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:12 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I recently replaced my coach batteries with wet cells. Cost was my driving factor...I really wanted AGMS.
AGMS aren't as prevalent if you have warranty issues.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:38 PM   #6

I might look at watering systems as cheaper and easier than figuring out AGM charging.

You can try cheap AGM's and get a lot of the benefits. Your current charger won't kill them but may not charge them as fast as they are capable of being charged. You can go with wet cells and or wet and a watering system. Either way will probably get another 5+ years of use at a low cost. From there you can spend a lot more money up to and including pulling out your current system and putting in a new charger/converter. It all comes down to how much you want to spend. Given your requirements I'd go cheap 12 VDC trolling motor AGM's or wet with a watering system. YMMV I would not say that if you told me you planned to boondock half the year. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:29 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Some folks like the watering systems. I like the Water Miser replacement battery caps. I might add water 2 or 3 times a year with them. About $3 apiece.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1482294516.163421.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	147174

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:34 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I also added a watering system to my new batteries. About $90 for 4 6 volts.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261870
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:38 PM   #9

when my U2200 hd 6 volt batterys were brand new I added water maybe once a year. Now their 6 years old and I add twice a year so to me adding water verses not is a non issue for me
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:35 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We had a 95 Dynasty 36 Baron also and it had 2 8D for the house and 1 4D for the truck. Somebody must have gone with the smaller easier to lift batteries on yours. I like Lifeline AGM, but we had decent luck with those size batteries in lead acid from NAPA when we had the Dynasty.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:04 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reride View Post
These batteries are at least 5-yrs old. They were in the coach when I bought it % years ago.
If you got 5 years out of batteries in the desert heat, you are way ahead of the game. My experience is failures starting as early as 3 years in the heat.
monacojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 12:24 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
reride, you can change over your 12v house batteries to 6v golf cart batteries fairly reasonable. Just build some new cable to put each pair of 6v batteries in series. Golf cart batteries are reasonable at Costco or Sam's, and with care they will last 10 years. They are designed for constant charge/discharge.

It will take a few minutes to figure out how to arrange them in the tray the first time. Also, your older Heart Freedom inverter will do a great job charging the golf cart batteries as long as you properly wire them into 12v pairs.

I added an ounce of glycerin to the top of each cell and maintenance is greatly reduced.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries