Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2017, 10:57 AM   #1

Batteries life span

So since I am new to this Diesel coach thing had mine for 3 weeks my question is should my coach batteries struggle to start every damn morning or are they weak and need to be replaced. I have to use the battery boost even if I have been plugged in. My old gasser never had issues. Any thoughts. I do know they house batteries have 4 brand new ones.

Go WOLVES & Go HAWKS!
Ozman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2017, 11:04 AM   #2

Coach and house are the same thing. Your talking about the chassis batteries.

It being a 2007 rig, I would get them tested. You don't know the history of the ones in it. Many owners let them drain all the time and just boost them to start. If the sit discharged, they fail rather quickly.

You could also have something drawing them down while parked, but that's not a concern until you know that they are tested and good.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:08 AM   #3

Battery life is dependent on several factors such as quality of batteries, abuse and are they charged while the coach is sitting. Look in your owners manual and it will tell you the CCA requirement for your starting batteries. Never go below this number when purchasing new. If you can afford AGM replacements, go hat way as they are sealed and require no maintenance except keeping terminals clean.
Mhcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:18 AM   #4

If batteries are properly maintained they will easily last for 6-8 years or more.
From what you describe, it sounds like your problem is not necessarily a battery issue but rather a charging issue.

First off, have the batteries load tested to confirm their condition.

At the same time you need to familiarize yourself with the charging system in your coach. It is possible your Monaco does not have provision to charge the chassis batteries when plugged into shore power as I recently discovered on a friends coach of the same vintage as yours.

If that is the case, you can add a device such as an Echo Charger that will sense the chassis battery state of charge and send a small current to the chassis batteries to maintain them while plugged into shore power.
When the engine is running, the batteries are being maintained by the engine alternator.

https://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-82-01...v+echo+charger
Old 10-16-2017, 11:32 AM   #5

Thanks guys appreciate the info heading to get them tested

Go WOLVES & Go HAWKS!
Ozman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:32 AM   #6

A follow up on Dennis's post. If you are not able to confirm via your documentation and or visual inspection, that the chassis battery is being charged while on Shore Power - post a question under the Monaco Owner's section and network with those that have similar coaches to yours.

If no chassis charge is in your mix, also look at the Magnum Smart Battery Combiner (SBC) - as another option like the Echo.

And spot on advise to also validate via load testing your battery health. Do both the Chassis and also the House/Coach. This way you have a baseline to go from.

I have a now ~7 year old CAT 8D Maintenance Free Chassis battery, still going strong... As noted in this thread, this would be a higher quality Chassis battery, and other then two times where I had some charging problems, has never been abused. I'm hoping to get another year, maybe two out of it.

And I'm in the school that likes to pro actively change Chassis battery on my schedule, and location. So if I do get to year 9 without problems, I'll replace it always... As I sure would not want to do so on the road, and not be able to shop for the battery and price that I want... It's sort of like those, me too, that changes tires in the 5-7 year range... Safe then sorry, and again, on my schedule and with people I know and trust in the mix!

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:37 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
If batteries are properly maintained they will easily last for 6-8 years or more.
From what you describe, it sounds like your problem is not necessarily a battery issue but rather a charging issue.

First off, have the batteries load tested to confirm their condition.

At the same time you need to familiarize yourself with the charging system in your coach. It is possible your Monaco does not have provision to charge the chassis batteries when plugged into shore power as I recently discovered on a friends coach of the same vintage as yours.

If that is the case, you can add a device such as an Echo Charger that will sense the chassis battery state of charge and send a small current to the chassis batteries to maintain them while plugged into shore power.
When the engine is running, the batteries are being maintained by the engine alternator.

https://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-82-01...v+echo+charger
My coach, 04 Imperial has a solar panel that only keeps the chassis batteries up. It was an option when the coach was new. I've never had a problem running them down but the batteries typically never go much past 4 yrs.
Ron
Old 10-16-2017, 11:40 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2006 Diplomat and it did not charge the chassis batteries when on shore power. I added a lambert industries charge unit that connectors house and chassis batteries together when on shore power. Lambert is no longer in business but other companies are around that do the same thing. That’s the first thing I would check
Old 10-17-2017, 07:08 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozman24 View Post
So since I am new to this Diesel coach thing had mine for 3 weeks my question is should my coach batteries struggle to start every damn morning or are they weak and need to be replaced. I have to use the battery boost even if I have been plugged in. My old gasser never had issues. Any thoughts. I do know they house batteries have 4 brand new ones.
I don't believe your coach is wired to charge the engine (chassis) batteries when you're on shore power. do a little research, but I believe you'll need to add an Echo Charger to something similar.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozman24 View Post
Thanks guys appreciate the info heading to get them tested
How long do batteries last? ........ Depends? .......just waaay to many variables.

Lots of good info thus far and I like # 4 in particular

Before "I" removed the batteries from the coach I would want to know a few things that are cheap and easy to check with a $ 10.00 Multimeter

To get started ere the batteries spec'd right for your application? and filled to the proper level with distilled water ( if applicable) and the connections at the battery posts clean and tight?

What is the open circuit battery voltage? It should be 12.6 vdc min. and if not? I would want to know why not? things like, are they being charged properly while the coach is stored and while engine running. In most cases that voltage will be @ 1.0 volt over open circuit voltage @ 13.6 and If not? it has to be corrected and they also need to have the charge rate maintained properly one way or another and as already suggested perhaps while in storage an aftermarket battery maintainer may be required to do so.

If they are charged properly and the Open circuit voltage is 12.6 I would now want to know the battery voltage while the engine is cranking over.

Connect the meter directly to the battery posts and crank over for 15 seconds ...any reading less than 9.5 vdc? the batteries being tested are suspect and further testing will be required.

IMO the best way to test batteries is under a load and real-world conditions and that is done either with your starting system on your coach or a carbon pile load tester that has the proper load capacity to do so.

Capacitance types testers ( Digital testers ) are good and have their place but are not the be-all end-all of battery testing and why many companies like Interstate test their warranty return batteries in-house by both carbon pile load testing and Capacitance type testing both.

So after the batteries have been tested properly and if they pass all the tests you can now go on to things like testing cable connections and proper starter cranking RPM's and current draw.

The first thing you need to know is ....are the batteries capable fo doing their job properly?

Happy Hunting

ps it took me longer to type this, than it will take you to test what had been suggested.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:48 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I just ordered two new chassis batteries as the old still working ones are 7 years old. I just like to get new ones so I don't have a problem in some campground in a small city looking for a special heavy duty battery to fit my "battery box".
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries