Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
Den

Smile Battery boost not working

Hi all, Happy New Year,

I have aproblem with the battery boost on my RV, i have a Holiday Rambler Ambassador 2000 model, my coach batteries go flat after leaving the RV laid up for a month or so, i try using the battery boost but nothing happens, could it be a relay of some sort?

Thanks
Den
Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2010, 02:45 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Den,
The battery boost joins the coach and chassis (engine) batteries. It is usually used to help start the engine. I'm not sure how you are using the boost. If your coach batteries are dead, what is it you expect from the boost switch.

If a coach is in storage for a month or more (no 120 VAC available), the batteries will self discharge. The amount of discharge is based on many factors. Condition of the batteries (age, water, state of charge when stored, etc.), parasitic drain from coach components (LP gas detector, inverter, auto step retract, TVs, clocks, etc.) can contribute to the drain.

Consider checking the water level, giving the batteries a full charge using a portable charge and then taking them to your local auto parts store. They can put the batteries under load and tell you their operational condition.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Check in the front run bay under the drivers window. There should be a fuse there that controls the Aux Start and TV amp. On my 2001 Diplomat it fuse #7 and is a 7.5-amp.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
Den

Hi Gary,
Sorry i dont think i explained my self, it is the chassis battery battery's that go dead after a while, i am useing the boost switch to jump start from the coach batteries to start the Rv, they are new batteries on the RV i replaced them when i exported the RV to England which was only 18 months ago.
Thank you for your response.
Den
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Den,
The battery boost joins the coach and chassis (engine) batteries. It is usually used to help start the engine. I'm not sure how you are using the boost. If your coach batteries are dead, what is it you expect from the boost switch.

If a coach is in storage for a month or more (no 120 VAC available), the batteries will self discharge. The amount of discharge is based on many factors. Condition of the batteries (age, water, state of charge when stored, etc.), parasitic drain from coach components (LP gas detector, inverter, auto step retract, TVs, clocks, etc.) can contribute to the drain.

Consider checking the water level, giving the batteries a full charge using a portable charge and then taking them to your local auto parts store. They can put the batteries under load and tell you their operational condition.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
Den

Hi Rex thank you i will check this out tomorrow.

Thanks Den
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post
Check in the front run bay under the drivers window. There should be a fuse there that controls the Aux Start and TV amp. On my 2001 Diplomat it fuse #7 and is a 7.5-amp.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:09 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Some RVs have a charger that charges both the House and Chassis batteries when plugged into shore power. Some only charge the House side when plugged into shore power. Some have a solar panel to charge both House and Chassis batteries. Some have solar panels to only charge the Chassis batteries.

You need to know your configuration to determine where to start.

1. If the charger only charges the house batteries while stored or even in use but not driven (while camping), then the phantom drain from electronics can run the Chassis batteries down. In that case you can add something like a Trik-L-Start that connects the House to Chassis batteries and when the House side is charged, it will trickle over to the Chassis side and charge them. That's what I have done on mine.

2. If your MH already has such a system, it could be bad.

3. If you have a solar panel on the roof to charge the Chassis batteries while stored or camping, the solar panel could be bad or the controller for the solar panel could be bad.

Let us know what you have!
Old 01-12-2010, 10:01 AM   #7
Den

Hi Jim, we have no solar panels, the only charging of the chassis battey is by the alternator when being driven, i like the sound of the trik-l-start, i will buy one of those. i am going to check out the fuse in the front bay for the boost button as well.

Thank you all for your help
Den