Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2021, 07:26 PM   #1
C20

Battery charging

First, I have the owners manual, so please don't ask me to read it. Not trying to be snippy but I get that a lot on here. I have an owners manual that doesn't seem to fit the motorhome that I have.

Problem: The chassis batteries don't seem to charge when plugged in. I have to use the Boost switch to start it. If i'm driving they charge and start right up. I have brand new chassis batteries.

I have had two occasions where the jacks won't retract, and I just figured out it's due to low voltage on the chassis batteries.

This is not addressed in the owners manual and wondered if anyone had any suggestions to check.

I just parked and shut off the chassis batteries, but the keyless entry and key fobs don't work. Other than that I could live with the batteries off.

Suggestions?
C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2021, 07:37 PM   #2

you didnt say what monaco you have.. My Holiday Rambler, 2004, does not have a built in charger for the chassis batteries.. I had to wire in my own maintainer.. Not all Monacos have a charger on those batteries.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:41 PM   #3

Hi C20, it is very common for the chassis batteries to not be charged when the coach is plugged into shore power. Some coaches do have that feature and some don't. If your coach doesn't have that feature, many people add a device called a Trik-L-Start. Here is a link: Mega TRIK-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer

I just ordered one to add to my Winnebago. If your coach is supposed to charge the chassis battery when plugged into shore power than obviously something is broken but I can't help you there. Maybe someone with more knowledge of your exact motorhome will chime in about that.

I see from your profile that you are in Shawnee, KS. We are just down the road from you in Overland Park.
JimBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:45 PM   #4

I have had my coach going on 19 years and until 2 years ago thought that the inverter/Charger (Trace at the time) would charge all the batteries when plugged to shore power. After having the same problems you describe happen to me AND the company working on it telling me the Trace was bad I had them replace inverter and low and behold it did not charge the Chassis battery, I call Zantrex myself and talked to Support and they confirmed that the Inverter ONLY charged house batteries but did tell me about their ECHO+ add on, $90 Amazon connected with three wires and after the house batteries are charged the inverter will continue and charge the chassis battery also. My Travel buddy had same setup but with a Magnum Inverter and they provide the same type addon. I've had mine about a year, if in sunlight the Solar keeps charged but under cover in storage inverter keep them up.
good Luck, Check type Inverter and check their web page.
TraceJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:05 PM   #5

A little more info on your coach would help, you also did not say how long you have owned coach, I added attached to charge chassis batteries, simple to install.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Echo-charge-OwnerGuide(445-0204-01-01).pdf (618.4 KB, 10 views)
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:17 PM   #6

this is one i installed also works great
TraceJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:37 PM   #7

A 2015 coach will charge the chassis battery while on shore power.

You don't need to add new components.

You need to check if the chassis system is charging the house batteries while underway.

If not, your isolation solenoid is bad. That's also the boost solenoid, so cycling it makes it easy to hear and find.

One other thing to check is the volts the inverter/charger is charging the house batteries at. If its not about 13.4 volts, the system won't charge the chassis battery.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:47 AM   #8
C20

Sorry everyone,
The motorhome is a 2015 Dynasty on a Freighliner chassis
Old 02-22-2021, 07:13 PM   #9
C20

The battery boost switch does work. I have shut off one chassis battery and the other one runs the keyless entry. My thoughts are that when I get ready to leave Iíll have good voltage by turning that battery back on. The issue is with low voltage the hydraulic jacks wonít come up and I donít want to run the big motor in the campground for a long time to get back to good voltage.

My other thought Is that I could hold do the boost switch to give good voltage to the leveling system to bring the jacks up.

I have a Magnum energy battery charging system. Again no owners manual in the things I have. Is there a setting on that to charge the chassis batteries?

If anyone knows this system perhaps you could shoot me a pm and I could call you to walk me through the settings?

Thank you all for your help and patience!
Old 02-22-2021, 07:47 PM   #10

Don't start changing the settings yet.

If the house batteries voltage is not above 13 .4 volts on shore power, the charging of the chassis battery will not happen.

We need to know if they are reaching that voltage.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:34 PM   #11
C20

The charging system says that the house batteries are at 13.6 volts
Old 02-24-2021, 03:59 AM   #12

Are you switching off a battery while storing, on shore power ?

I'm not understanding your explanation of using the boost switch. It connects the chassis batteries to the house batteries.

If the chassis batteries is switched off, you may be cutting the circuit that charges it.
Old 02-24-2021, 04:11 PM   #13
C20

Ok. Here is what Iíve done so far:
I know the boost switch works because I used it to start the motorhome when we left Texas in 20 degree weather

The Jackís wouldnít come up because the chassis batteries had low voltage and the pump wouldnít run. I had to run the engine for about 20 minutes on high idle to get the pump to work.

Once I got to AZ I thought since the chassis batteries are fully charged Iíd shut them off and have no parasitic load draining them. The problem was that the keyless entry system would not work. I have double battery isolator switches so I turned on the one that ran the keyless entry system and left the other one off.

My thought is that when I get ready to leave I can turn the other battery back on and raise the jacks before I start the motor having enough voltage that the pump would run and bring up the jacks.
Old 02-24-2021, 04:30 PM   #14

Seems you should be able to hook a trickle charger to battery you have shut off to charge while waiting to leave. Just a thought.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging