Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2021, 01:36 PM   #1

Battery charging question??

I put in outlet to keep rv plugged in when not using it. Will the house and chassis batteries still charge if you keep both cutoff switches to off position but leave rv plugged into shore power??
MSgtNobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2021, 01:39 PM   #2

Totally depends on how YOUR RV is wired.

Pretty easy to test with your digital voltmeter.

Record voltage at both battery banks before plugging in.

Record voltage at both battery banks after plugging in and making sure your converter or inverter/charger is charging.

Let us know.
Old 07-23-2021, 01:51 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Like Brett said -- it depends.
On my Coach the House batteries will charge via the Solar panel with the battery disconnects turned off but not from the charger/inverter.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 04:13 PM   #4

Hi MsgtNobody; Yep, follow Brett's advice. Monaco wired things differently depending on model and year. On your model level of coach I would say that only the house batteries are charged when plugged into shore power and not the chassis batteries. On my previous 2000 Windsor and my current 2001 Windsor both the house and the chassis batteries are charged when plugged into shore power. Also even with the battery disconnect switches in the off position both sets of my batteries are charged. Thought this was crazy but a call back then to a Monaco Tech. in Oregon confirmed that was how the system was designed. When I work on the electrical system, batteries, I always make sure I am unplugged from shore power.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 05:47 AM   #5

Not to be that guy but you should add signature with your 2008 LaPalma XL.
If it has bidirectional ACR it may or may not work as well. The auto charge relay or battery combiners seem to be universally troublesome , all brands and models, if equipped to charge chassis at all.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:14 AM   #6

If the batteries charge while at a campground they will charge at home.

Leave the switchs on.

If you disconnect the batteries, in most cases, you disconnect the chargers.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:10 AM   #7
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
As Brett says, use a voltmeter to confirm. These things are snow flakes and with some of the common problems that occur with the charging systems you need to know via a voltmeter and not an (owners manual) for example.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:52 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
almost always NO. the disconnect switchs disconnect the house batteries from the converter. Also, there is a good chance if you charge you house battrirs you willnot charge you chassis batteries.

Do a test with a volt meter. see if its charging?
ArtJoyce is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging