RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2020, 11:30 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Battery Connection

I found this cable disconnected in my battery compartment, a thin white cable. I believe it might go with the chassis batteries and not the house batteries. I'm attaching a picture of both battery sets. Anyone know where this should be connected to?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-09-01 08.59.26.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	299436   Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-09-01 08.59.33.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	299437  

SpottedJag96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2020, 11:50 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
It would be hard for anyone to know for sure - unless they have the exact same Coach with that wire from the factory. Hopefully someone does and will respond shortly.

I removed my batteries for cleaning (and to repair the tray) and I had four "white wires", two to the neg terminal and two to the positive terminal. I marked them and add some red heat shrink tape to the positive ones so no one could mix them up in the future.

But who the heck (at the factory) would wire a Coach using all the same colors wires when half are negative (grounds) and the others are power?!
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:48 PM   #3

Thin flat white wire? Looks like telephone patch plug in without the plug? Battery temp sensor. I think ours attaches to the positive terminal. There should be a temp sensor on the end of it though.
megehrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:42 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
@Mark: No, it's not a flat wire. I looked the temp sensor and it doesn't look like that.

@Mike: I can't really follow the wire to see where it is going. Maybe there is a matching wire though like yours. I'll go back and look and see if I can figure out more. Like you said though, why would they use the same color wires!
Old 09-01-2020, 06:26 PM   #5

Sensor goes on the Neg terminal
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:35 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Get out your voltage tester and see if it goes to ground. ( One test lead on the white wire and the other test lead on the chassis ground ) OHMS setting. If it does go to ground DON'T connect it to a positive terminal.
Rodg495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:35 PM   #7

Previous owner wired in a line to charge toad batteries??
vidref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:51 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
So, I tested the wire and it is ground. Looks like the house batteries has the same type of cable attached to the ground. Kinda hesitant to hook it up not knowing what it is. Makes me wonder if it is disconnected for a reason 🤔

Following the cable back as far as I can, looks like it was not something that was added in later as it goes into one of the black wire tubings.
Old 09-03-2020, 01:21 PM   #9

So you tested it and it ohms to ground. You don't usually see long wires grounded somewhere else like that.It may have gotten grounded when it shouldn't have and been rewired. Or someone left it off doing batteries like many stories and added another ground thus grounding it.
I have many mystery wires at the end of some looms.
I used red and black tape to identify every batt wire .
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery