RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2020, 10:33 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Battery connections and Intellec controller

My bad!

I decided to remove 2 of the 4 six volt batteries from my 2010 Monaco Monarch due to age. I then connected the two newer six volt batteries in series and started to reconnect the battery cables.

What I didn't do was tag all the connections when I disassembled the batteries. Now I have a problem.

While connecting the two cables at the back of the battery box to the negative terminal I noticed that one of the cables sparked on attempted connection. I checked the current and noted about 200 mA of current on connection. It appears to be associated with the chassis battery. When I use the disconnect switch on the chassis battery I get no spark. With the wire connected to the ground terminal I then switched the chassis battery back on.

In the MH I heard a "clicking relay" coming from the Intellec panel. The controller was flashing "o" and alternately clicking and flashing. There were no loads in the house and no shore power or generator power being supplied.

What I first need to know is what is the correct connection configuration of the wires in the battery box?

Secondly, is there a manual showing the fault conditions for the Intellec controller?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Ted
Theory is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2020, 10:56 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
This may help on the battery connections.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0986.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	502.9 KB
ID:	303761

I personally would replace all 4 batteries, not just the 2.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:50 AM   #3

What year, make and model coach do you have. Are all four batteries that you describe in our posting for the "RV" part of your unit with two more for the chassis for a total of six, like most have, or do you only have two for the chassis and two for the coach? If you actually have six, which would be two for the chassis and four for the coach like shown in Bill's posting above, you definitely should have all four batteries be the same make, size, type and vintage. Battery banks are not a good place to mix and match.

It would be really good for you to add the make, year and model of your motorhome to your "signature" on this website a so that information will always be there on your posts. It will hugely weed out those that can help and those that maybe won't have good knowledge for your particular application.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:31 PM   #4
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Is that a large cable you connected?? Does the 200 ma go down after a few seconds??

If so, it is likely the capacitors in the inverter charging up. Of course do not leave it connected till this is sorted. You could have a serious disaster.

A large cable indicated heavy current of course and if you follow it where does it go?

Of course pictures would help. Is it logical that it is not long enough to connect to a positive post??

The clicking could be relays inside an inverter but without more knowledge of your rv I'm in the dark.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:32 PM   #5
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Oh, welcome to the Forum:
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, intellec