Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2010, 04:09 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I love it when a plan comes together!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2010, 06:03 PM   #16

Disconnect Impact

As I read this thread, it would appear no one "disconnects" the chassis batteries when staying at a CG for a week or two - correct?

If you did, what works and what doesn't (Cliff notes)?

Why would you NOT disconnect?

Which switch if you did - the door switch or the battery disconnect in the battery compartment?

This on an '08 Diplomat without a trickle charger.
novatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:57 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
My wife accidently hit the "salesman switch" this weekend. We were parked in Ventura, CA where it had been raining and blowing for several days (lots of moisture everywhere). Afterward, when I turned the switch back on, the indicator light on the switch no longer worked. A day later, when I went to retract the steps, they would not retract. I poked around in the front fuse box, reseated a couple of fuses that might have been loose and tapped the DC solenoid. Suddenly the stairs retracted. Later, after driving 6 hours in the rain, the stairs refused to extend (they had worked several times when we stopped along the way). Does the DC solenoid affect the power to the stairs? Could bypassing it end this issue? I have a 2008 Dip.
Thanks, Bill
Old 01-27-2010, 02:47 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by woward View Post
My wife accidently hit the "salesman switch" this weekend. We were parked in Ventura, CA where it had been raining and blowing for several days (lots of moisture everywhere). Afterward, when I turned the switch back on, the indicator light on the switch no longer worked. A day later, when I went to retract the steps, they would not retract. I poked around in the front fuse box, reseated a couple of fuses that might have been loose and tapped the DC solenoid. Suddenly the stairs retracted. Later, after driving 6 hours in the rain, the stairs refused to extend (they had worked several times when we stopped along the way). Does the DC solenoid affect the power to the stairs? Could bypassing it end this issue? I have a 2008 Dip.
Thanks, Bill
One of my first rules I learned from writing software in assembly language is to fix a problem as you find it. Sometimes other problems are the result of a single problem. If your salesman cutout relay has not left you dead in the water in the middle of the night, it is just a matter of time. If I were you I would bypass the thing now and wait and see how the steps do. Our salesman relay left us without 12 Volt power at night after I had already dressed for bed. Go figure. Others have told stories of inconvenience due to the failure of the contactor.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:30 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Novatz,
The relay we are talking about here is for the coach batteries. It has nothing to do with the chassis batteries if I understand the system correctly. The cut-off switch in the battery compartment would allow you to turn off the chassis (engine) batteries. I am not sure that I would disconnect the chassis batteries for a long period of time for fear of losing the data stored in the engine computor. If you turn off the battery switch you will still have a small load draining from the chassis batteries, steps, radio clock and memory, etc. You may want to consider one of the trickle chargers on the market. They are not that expensive, easy to install and cure the problem.

Bill, if I remember correctly the service people at Wildwood told me the stairs are powered from the chassis batteries, so the relay would not be the cause of your problem.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:55 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
The Soleniod You Guys are talking about, Is that The Big Boy Located in Rear Electrical Compartment?.
DCTENT is offline   Reply With Quote