Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2019, 09:36 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Battery cutoff switch

Anyone know why Monaco would put the batt cutoff switch where the grandkids can reach it. Do they make a cover
Rick carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2019, 09:38 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Bypass it.....
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:36 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick carter View Post
Anyone know why Monaco would put the batt cutoff switch where the grandkids can reach it.
Because the switch is there for "Salesmen". And Salesmen are like grandkids - short attention spans and a knack for getting into trouble and leaving lights on. You know the saying "the best thing about Salesmen and grandkids, is that they go home at the end of the day".

Seriously though, my Batt Cutoff switch has a "locking button" on the face of switch you have to press in order to toggle the switch. It makes it pretty difficult to switch the switch for us old people - maybe not too hard for a kid...

Perhaps you can install that style (or move the switch) if you want to keep it functional.
Attached Images

CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:01 PM   #4

If Monaco went to make their coaches kid proof all switches would be located on soffit close to ceiling, not sure if that would be child proof.
Outbound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 04:55 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I know I’m not alone with this.

I shut off my front porch light one morning shortly after buying my coach. I had unknowingly also tapped the salesman switch. The wife starts yelling about everything shut off. I’m like oh God now what. It took me awhile but I figured it out. That switch is very touchy on my coach. I wish I had a locking button.
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:31 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
If Monaco went to make their coaches kid proof all switches would be located on soffit close to ceiling, not sure if that would be child proof.
Like others have said bypass the solenoid do the switch can't do anything. Its not if the solenoid will cause you problems but when will it cause you problems. It usually happens at a bad time like when you are tooling down the highway. Bypassed ours 11 years ago and have never missed it.

As for making things kid proof. I don't believe that is possible. When I was about four years old my Mother had a crystal bowl that had been in the family for generations. She treasured it and when I showed some interest she placed it high up on top of a cabinet. I don't remember how but I managed to get up there and when trying to get the bowl it came crashing down and ended it's life in many small pieces on the floor.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:21 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post

As for making things kid proof. I don't believe that is possible. When I was about four years old my Mother had a crystal bowl that had been in the family for generations. She treasured it and when I showed some interest she placed it high up on top of a cabinet. I don't remember how but I managed to get up there and when trying to get the bowl it came crashing down and ended it's life in many small pieces on the floor.

Bob
Ouch. I'll bet your back side was sore for a while after that.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:10 PM   #8
YC1

Since we have fur babies and they could potentially bump that button or me staggering out in the early morning I just took the solenoid out that the switch runs.

This is a common modification. Very easy to do and there are hundreds of pages available if you decide to do it.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:34 PM   #9

I think a better question is, why they put them beside the rest of the switches at the entry door. Every greenhorn going thinks its the lights, and hits the switch. When no lights come on, they try the next switch. They don't realize they just killed all the 12 volt power in the rv. As far as kids, you pretty much have to teach them not to touch any switches. The generator, hot water, etc is all within reach, never mind all the switches in the cockpit. They could even dump the air brakes if you have a pusher.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:07 PM   #10

If your switches are in the same silly place mine are they get accidentally hit on a regular basis. This cover may help prevent that.

https://www.amazon.com/White-Univers...a-756859562041
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:09 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Ouch. I'll bet your back side was sore for a while after that.
Mike,

Probably but I can't recall. They say your mine forgets the bad and only remembers the good. Like how you remember and old girl friend and then you meet in the present!

Bob
Old 06-08-2019, 07:11 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Since we have fur babies and they could potentially bump that button or me staggering out in the early morning I just took the solenoid out that the switch runs.

This is a common modification. Very easy to do and there are hundreds of pages available if you decide to do it.
Myron,

Sounds like you have a drinking problem. Staggering in the morning!

Bob
Old 06-08-2019, 01:33 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I moved mine to less obvious place (or less likely to be mistakenly switched) its now under the dash board - it is not as easy to spot as you enter the coach as in this photo since I'm holding the camera low to get an upward shot.

but the main reason was that I wanted to use that dash panel switch location for something else (an AC power cutoff switch for my stereo Receiver and Mobley device).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Batt Cut-off switch relocated.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	249109  
Old 06-09-2019, 07:32 AM   #14
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Myron,

Sounds like you have a drinking problem. Staggering in the morning!

Bob
I stagger and look really bad in the am before coffee. A shot of brandy in the coffee may help.

My buddy said he didn't know I drank until he found me sober once.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, switch