Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2010, 05:44 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Battery Desulfator Device

Hello All, I'm looking for a picture I viewed on IRV2 regarding a device that you install on your batteries. It uses a pulse to keep battery sulfating off the plates. I remember this being yellow in color. They make these devices for all type of acid batteries. I appreciate if anyone remembers where this picture is located.

Thanks
chiefdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2010, 06:27 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Chief ... I don't recall seeing what you are refering to, but the inverter/charger on my coach has an "equalizing" cycle that I run maybe twice a year to do the job. "Equalizing" lead acid batteries de-sulphates them ... it really makes a difference in battery life. I have no idea if your's has the capability, but it would be worth checking out.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:31 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Battery Desulphation Device

Chief,

I think you may be looking for either a Battery Minder or a Battery Tender.
Try "Googling" either or both of these names.

Good Luck
jhawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:57 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
ChiefDave,

Perhaps is this what you are looking for?

And here is their web site.

Granite Digital - Save A Battery

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Images

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:07 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefdave View Post
Hello All, I'm looking for a picture I viewed on IRV2 regarding a device that you install on your batteries. It uses a pulse to keep battery sulfating off the plates.
Chief, I have been using a Battery Minder which desulphates the automotive battery via the pulses you are describing. It's a smart charger so it never over charges the battery. I've been running it daily for the past 4 or more years. It's a good little product.

Check out this website for price and availability.

DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:13 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Chief:

Maybe something like this: Battery Life Savers BLS-12/24-B Battery Saver Desulfator - Desulfators @ AltE

Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:33 PM   #7

There was an article in Homepower Magazine about how to build a circuit to desulfate batteries. If you plan on doing that, see desulfator for kits and information or this Canadian build your ownsite.

This is the technique BatteryMinder(tm) uses. The Charge Wizard and WFCO converters use another technique that is preventive rather than remedial. For storage devices, you have to watch out for those that are trickle charge or float only. Prompt and proper charging along with good storage maintenance are keys to long battery life.
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:12 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Battery Minder and Battery Tender products (The first respondent's suggestion) come in two flavors

you want the PLUS flavor

Battery MINDer PLUS has the Deslufate feature Same for Tender Plus.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:53 AM   #9

The Battery Tender Plus does not mention desulfation as one of its features. The BatteryMinders all feature the claim "SMART, pulse type "computer-on-a-chip" chargers, that safely charge and maintain" -- that "pulse type" is an entirely different thing than a temperature compensated float that Battery Tender claims.

What is illustrated here is how easy it is to be confused if you don't look carefully.

I do not know exactly how effective the 'pulse type' desulfation technique works but I have heard many good reports and there is some conceptual sense to the idea. I do know that the traditional float and trickle chargers, even with temperature compensation, don't seem to do as well.

The keys for me include the need to do something to inhibit or prevent electrolyte stratification when a battery is just sitting and to make sure the battery has a top charge without having to worry about loss of electrolyte. That requires a maintenance device that does more than just provide a steady charge.

Don't get sold a bill of goods. Examine claims carefully and learn what is behind them.

BTW, thanks for the Granite Digital link - looks interesting.
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:25 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefdave View Post
Hello All, I'm looking for a picture I viewed on IRV2 regarding a device that you install on your batteries. It uses a pulse to keep battery sulfating off the plates. I remember this being yellow in color. They make these devices for all type of acid batteries. I appreciate if anyone remembers where this picture is located.

Thanks
Dave what you are talking about is the Pulse Tec PP12L
Here is a place to buy
Pulse Tech Power Pulse 12-Volt
Here is their web site for the company click on RV
Pulsetech - Product Information
I have been using this since 01, great folks to work with.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:07 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
For info - the Granite Digital systems are available on Amazon. Bought full capability Charger, Tester, Maintainer for about $77. Comes with three different cables to connect to battery: alligator clips, lugs and cigarette lighter plug. I intend to use on car I store during winter.

Lew
Old 01-20-2010, 07:59 PM   #12

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
The Battery Tender Plus does not mention desulfation as one of its features. The BatteryMinders all feature the claim "SMART, pulse type "computer-on-a-chip" chargers, that safely charge and maintain" -- that "pulse type" is an entirely different thing than a temperature compensated float that Battery Tender claims.

What is illustrated here is how easy it is to be confused if you don't look carefully.

I do not know exactly how effective the 'pulse type' desulfation technique works but I have heard many good reports and there is some conceptual sense to the idea. I do know that the traditional float and trickle chargers, even with temperature compensation, don't seem to do as well.

The keys for me include the need to do something to inhibit or prevent electrolyte stratification when a battery is just sitting and to make sure the battery has a top charge without having to worry about loss of electrolyte. That requires a maintenance device that does more than just provide a steady charge.

Don't get sold a bill of goods. Examine claims carefully and learn what is behind them.

BTW, thanks for the Granite Digital link - looks interesting.
The BatteryMinder also has a nice unit that will work off your solar power too.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:55 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to all that replied. I have not made my final decision as of yet, but the information I recieved on my post was extremely helpful.

Dave C
chiefdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:19 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
the inverter/charger on my coach has an "equalizing" cycle that I run maybe twice a year to do the job. "Equalizing" lead acid batteries de-sulphates them ... it really makes a difference in battery life. I have no idea if your's has the capability, but it would be worth checking out.
Thats a question I've had...according to descriptive info I've been able to pull up on the web for my trace / xantrax 2012 3-stage inverter there is 'manual equalization' but the manual says nothing about it. Am I pulling up more recent descriptions with my 10 year old unit not having that feature or is there some way of doing this that is so obvious its not mentioned in the manual or what?......thanks.

Greg
Greg121 is offline   Reply With Quote