Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2009, 08:36 AM   #1

Battery disconnect when not using?

do i swith over to disconnect on my battery switch in the battery compartment when not using my 2008 caymen or do i leave it on and plug it in to my house full time ?what do you guys do?i also have that battery cut out switch in the cab near the front door.

thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2009, 09:01 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I don't have access to power when stored so I turn off the power using the switches in the battery compartment. The battery disconnect near the door will not stop all the battery drain so don't use that one. I did when I first got the RV and the batteries died on me.

2008 Monaco Cayman 38PBD
Up N Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:47 AM   #3

cool thanks, but if you had acces to power from your backyard would you keep it plugged in all the time?
Old 05-29-2009, 10:05 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I could be wrong but I think it would be fine to leave plugged in but you should check the water level in the batteries often. Maybe someone else will say for sure if it's OK. You can leave plugged in and turn off the charger so there is no chance of hurting the batteries.

2008 Monaco Cayman 38PBD
Old 05-29-2009, 10:14 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Check this out.
http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/f...d/15642268.cfm

2008 Monaco Cayman 38PBD
Old 05-29-2009, 01:32 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The answer depends on your converter

Magnatek: Unplug and turn off
Progressive Dynamics WITH a charge wizard: I leave mine plugged in all the time

NOTE: that both of these are examples of lists of converters

So, What is the difference?

The Magnatek line, before Parallex bought 'em up, was a single stage ferroresonate device Regulation was not that great and they tended to boil batteries dry very quickly.

The Progressive Dynamics with Wizard (Optional on the 9100 line, included on the 9200 line) is a true 3-Stage plus converter that puts out a bunch of current to quickly bring a battery up to around 80-90 percent, then tapers off to let it slowly come to full charge, then switches to a lower "Float" voltage

The "Plus" is an equalization charge (This is a controlled over charge that seems to benefit batteries under some conditions) The Charge Wizard does this after so many hours of sitting there (20 or 21, forget) for a short time... Most 3-stage plus converters do it on request only.

I have to add water to my batteries.. about once a year or less
Old 05-29-2009, 01:40 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Mine has the Magnum Energy ME2012. It has Five stage charging capability Bulk, Absorb, Float, Equalize, and Battery Saver.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/wind-sun/MagnumME.pdf

2008 Monaco Cayman 38PBD
Old 05-29-2009, 02:20 PM   #8

Mine has a 3 stage charge function on the Xantrex RS2000 inverter which floats the batteries after charge up. I need to add some water every 3 weeks or so while plugged in at my house (30A plug).

I'm thinking of taking the charger off line when stored and adding a BatteryMINDer 12248 to handle the storage of the coach & battery banks. I've had the small unit for a single battery for a coupla years now, never need to add water & the battery I've had it on is in great shape. Don't know anyone who has done this. I think the above unit is adequate size, but thats a guess.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:53 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gto19 View Post
do i swith over to disconnect on my battery switch in the battery compartment when not using my 2008 caymen or do i leave it on and plug it in to my house full time ?what do you guys do?i also have that battery cut out switch in the cab near the front door.
I keep my Dip plugged in all winter and when I'm not using it. Note, however that your Neptune will not keep the chassis batteries charged from shore power. To fix that I also added a Xantex echo~charge unit. The Magnum will keep both banks on a float charge for you when stored if you add the echo~charge, or a Trick-L-Start unit, or a BIRD relay.

More details here.

If you are storing the coach without access to external power, then shut off both cut-off switches in the battery compartment. Even then, you will have some residual drain
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_M View Post
I keep my Dip plugged in all winter and when I'm not using it. Note, however that your Neptune will not keep the chassis batteries charged from shore power. To fix that I also added a Xantex echo~charge unit. The Magnum will keep both banks on a float charge for you when stored if you add the echo~charge, or a Trick-L-Start unit, or a BIRD relay.

More details here.

If you are storing the coach without access to external power, then shut off both cut-off switches in the battery compartment. Even then, you will have some residual drain

your website is really cool and helpfull

one thing you say our Magnadyne M9900DVDS radio has aux inputs and outputs?where are they?
Old 05-30-2009, 12:04 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gto19 View Post
one thing you say our Magnadyne M9900DVDS radio has aux inputs and outputs?where are they?
They are behind the radio. You can get to them by pulling the radio using the two U-shaped clip-release tools provided.

There is one set of output jacks and two inputs - each with the standard L-R audio and video RCA plugs. The single output goes to the switch box above the driver. Input #1 comes from the TV (or may not be used in the 2008 design). Input #2 plugs into a "satelite TV ready cable" going to the AV compartment where the switch box is. I unpluged that and use it for my GPS/MP3/Audio book player. I also installed one of these Magnadyne RV dash Aux Input sockets above the center driver's table.

Thanks for the kind comment on the web site. I enjoy keeping it up.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:20 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Robin,

What do you use the aux input for. Will if work with an Ipod?

thx
Soniccruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:28 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Under the rubber cover it has a standard stereo mini-jack. So you can use it with any device that has a headset output. You could use it with an Ipod that way. They also sell one with a USB port, but our radios don't have a USB input. (The latest Magnadyne head units do.)
Old 05-30-2009, 03:10 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks Robin,

I have been thinking looking for a way to hook up my Ipod
Soniccruzer is offline   Reply With Quote