RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2008, 06:14 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
In 2007 Monaco apparently went to a standardized "mid chassis harness" type of configuration on many of their raised rail coaches, including the Dip. A part of this harness includes two 12v+ battery leads that run from the rear to the front of the coach. They connect at each end of the mid-chassis harness with bullet connectors. I've heard that these connectors have a history of failing - either by coming apart or by corrosion. The one marked "Battery 2" on the chassis wiring diagram feeds 12v+ to the ignition switch, among other things.

I've had that cable fail twice on me. When that happens, the coach simply shuts down, just like it would if you turned the ignition off while driving down the road. The first time was right after I bought the coach, causing me to scrap a planned trip to the FMCA Macon rally last Spring. The second time was today, as I was driving back home from Western PA.

This time, knowing much more about the electrical system on my coach, I was able to jury-rig it by jumping the two T-posts where the cables terminate in the front run bay, thereby by-passing the failed connector burried somewhere up in the frame of the coach. This was after I spent considerable time at the side of the road diagnosing the problem. (Luckly, where my coach shut down, there was an auto parts store across the street where I was able to buy a battery cable to use as a "jumper". I was really lucky. It could have happened in the middle of one of the tunnels that go through mountains on the PA turnpike.)

My question is this... Have others experienced this problem? And if so, have you found a permanent solution?

Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2008, 06:14 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
In 2007 Monaco apparently went to a standardized "mid chassis harness" type of configuration on many of their raised rail coaches, including the Dip. A part of this harness includes two 12v+ battery leads that run from the rear to the front of the coach. They connect at each end of the mid-chassis harness with bullet connectors. I've heard that these connectors have a history of failing - either by coming apart or by corrosion. The one marked "Battery 2" on the chassis wiring diagram feeds 12v+ to the ignition switch, among other things.

I've had that cable fail twice on me. When that happens, the coach simply shuts down, just like it would if you turned the ignition off while driving down the road. The first time was right after I bought the coach, causing me to scrap a planned trip to the FMCA Macon rally last Spring. The second time was today, as I was driving back home from Western PA.

This time, knowing much more about the electrical system on my coach, I was able to jury-rig it by jumping the two T-posts where the cables terminate in the front run bay, thereby by-passing the failed connector burried somewhere up in the frame of the coach. This was after I spent considerable time at the side of the road diagnosing the problem. (Luckly, where my coach shut down, there was an auto parts store across the street where I was able to buy a battery cable to use as a "jumper". I was really lucky. It could have happened in the middle of one of the tunnels that go through mountains on the PA turnpike.)

My question is this... Have others experienced this problem? And if so, have you found a permanent solution?

Old 05-27-2008, 07:29 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
ok...I am waiting for the water to heat up.. so I am reading posts...Robin...any chance of photos you have taken OR the chance of you taking them would be at what per cent?
We have NOT had the problem...yet...but I would like to know where to look and maybe have the problem headed off

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:37 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Sacs,

Yep, four connectors. There would be a connecter for each of the two battery leads at both ends of the mid chassis harness. (See pix below.) The diagram says they are Deutch Connectors, and I believe that they are these jiffy splices made by Deutch. Stupid arrangement. They SHOULD be wired to T-posts.

The picture below is at the rear end of the harness. It is located up beside the drive shaft behind the road-side rear tires. The front end of the harness is above the front air tank, where it is very hard to see and reach. The connectors in the back both look OK, as you can see, so my problem must be on the front end.

Black wire is the jumper I "jury-rigged" in the front run bay to get me home.

Location of rear end of mid chassis harness behind left rear tires

Close-up showing both mid chassis harness connectors (rear end) and both battery cable "jiffy splices"
Old 05-28-2008, 07:48 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I wonder why they did not run two full length cables instead of 6 short pieces </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Easy answer... It's a cost saving measure. They use the new long mid-chassis harness for several different coaches and now they only have to modify the ends to fit the specific coach model.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Looking at the pics, the size cable looks a little small for the length of the run </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It's the same wire they use on the battery cables between the T-posts. Pretty hefty stuff. I imagine it's OK, because after I jury-rigged mine, the whole coach was running on just one of the two wires and it seemed to do OK. Don't know how long I could run that way, though. I do agree that all the splices would add unnecessary resistance, however. Not to mention new places for failures to occur.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:30 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I crawled under the front of the coach tonight and found the two front battery connectors for the mid chassis harness. They are up against the floor of the coach, above the front air tank and behind tons of other cables, air lines, and Heaven knows what else. I was able to see 85% of the connectors but not both ends of either one. There is no slack in either cable. One of them has probably become disconnected inside the silicone sleeve. No way to get to front connectors unless you put the coach up on blocks and then crawl under and sit between the frame rails next to the air tank. (Not sure I'd fit.)

Bottom line... I'll have to take it to a dealer, but I want all four of those rediculous jiffy splice connectors replaced with something more substantial. Does anyone have any suggestions for a better way to connect these cables together?
Old 05-29-2008, 01:33 AM   #7

Robin:
You could use rhge type of connectors that are common on electric fork lift trucks. They are a double connector and rated for lots of voltage. In warehouses the trucks are parked near the charging eqpt. and these connectors are used to connect the 24 volt batteries to the chargers. Bluebird uses these to connect inverters to the RV system. I am sorry I dont have time to search for a picture. Some sellers of solar equipment stock them.

Moisheh
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:55 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the suggestion Moisheh. I've been doing some Internet searches, and there are all kinds of battery cable connectors available that are better than these awful Dutch Jiffy-Splice things that Monaco uses. There are crimpable connectors and compression connectors, etc., any of which could be covered with a heat-shrink sleeve or some other kind of insolator.

Since my coach is now out of warranty, I'm beginning to think that the thing to do in this case is to skip the dealer and talk to a good truck repair shop to see what they can come up with for a permanent solution for replacing the current connectors, and then let them do the job.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:33 PM   #9

Robin: We pick up our new to us 08 Dynasty this weekend. When I get it home one of the things I will do is look at those cable connectors. The ones I mentioned are very heavy duty and designed for many thousnads of connects and disconnects. I am not sure if they are waterproof. But they could be encapsulated in silicone or wrapped with some of that tape that stretches. What # are those cables: 1/0??

Moisheh
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:09 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Don't know what you mean by "What #", but the cables are standard 6 gage secondary battery cables. Also, I'm only familiar with the wiring schematics of the newer raised rail chassis. I don't know anything about how an S-series chassis is wired. The Dnyasty may not have the same problem.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:05 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I've resolved the problem discussed in this thread. Turns out the Deutch Jiffy Splices were fairly durable connectors. Problem was, Monaco had not pushed the pins together all the way when building the coach. (When propertly connected, they fit together very tightly and lock.) That resulted in internal arcing and had burned holes in three of the four connectors. (See the burn hole in the picture below.) In one of the connectors the pins actually came apart all the way, which is what caused my coach to shut down while driving along the road.

Since the connectors were damaged, the permanent solution was to have my local mechanic replace all four Jiffy-Splice connectors with solid splice links that were both crimped and soldered. Then the splices were wrapped in heat shrink sleeves and nylon cable loom taped in place on each end. I should never have this problem again.

See a more detailed description of the problem with pictures on my web site.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:25 PM   #12
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
This issue still comes up on occasion. Unfortunately it looks like the pictures are gone. I saved them so will try to refresh this post with them.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Jiffy Splices.2-4 (1).pdf (2.42 MB, 49 views)
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:25 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Myron, you're a nice guy.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:05 AM   #14
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post