RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Battery insolation sol.

new motor home, new problem, have a 2004 dynasty 43 di 4. the battery isolation sol seems to stay on with the key off . any help on tracing
wiring. the cckt board isl light is on . love this coach . thanks matt
monoco matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Matt and welcome to the forum.

Hopefully some of our experts will be along shortly with advice.

Somehow you ended up with a duplicate post on this question and I have deleted one of them.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
thanks Ricko . in Glendale AZ almost to hot to work
Old 06-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I hear you Matt. I'm right next door to you and nearly melted playing golf this morning.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:14 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Matt,
You write that it "seems to be staying on". Do you need assistance in confirming this?

There are two ways for this solenoid to energize: (1) your Battery Boost switch at the driver's location, and (2) the relay (probably the "Bird" system) that energizes this solenoid while driving down the road.

I'll have to study a schematic, but I guessing that both of these paths cannot energize the solenoid when the key is off. Hence my opening question.
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:16 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
My rig is newer, but the BIRD system will keep the boost solenoid energized until the batteries start to run down. It drops off when the system voltage gets are 12.2...
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:52 AM   #7
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you have a solar panel of any size it might be keeping the solenoid energized. Post a picture of it if you can and grab a voltmeter. It will only take a minute to check it. Just see if there is voltage on one of the little terminals and no voltage on the other. If so the solenoid is energized. On the little terminal that does not have voltage, (if the other one does), just disconnect the zero voltage wire and the solenoid should go clunk when it releases.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
JimM, clarification please:

You write "...the BIRD system will keep the boost solenoid energized until the batteries start to run down. It drops off when the system voltage gets are 12.2."

Under what conditions do you believe this to be true:
- running an engine (main engine and/or genset)?
- attached to shore power?
- dry camping?
Thanks,
Robi
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Robi,

I've observed this behavior when the coach was not plugged in. Dry camping, and parked in my driveway ( i dint plugin, to test this system, cause i din't trust it.... )

Worth noting the monaco has used a lot of different systems over the years, there is lots of data here on them. My 08 knight is fairly new, but is an entey level dp, where yours is older, but higher end. I don't know that yours will behave like mine does...

Mine will:
Look at the state (voltage) of both battery banks.
When charging, the source determines which bank charges first.

The solenoid will remain not energized until the primary bank for the active source is near fully charged. I've seen several hours driving go by before my dash voltmeters equalized, indicating the boost solenoid had energized.

Once that happens, the system will energize the boost solenoid, joining the 2 banks, and charging both sets of batteries.

The 2 banks will remian connected until the system voltage drops to around 12.2 volts, then it will disconnect, hoping to stop the discharge of your chassis batteries.

I have observed this operation, thru the 2 digital voltmeters i mounted on my dash.

Again tho, my coach is an 08, and monaco has used many different systems over the years.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks all you guy 's for the help. i found the problem. the cckt board above the iso
board had corrosion between circuits after cleaning it the iso relay led went out.
and sol. disengaged. i was concerned because operators manual said not to use boost for move then 30 seconds. like to get a schematic any suggestion ??? i am installing the wheel lift from my Allergo, bus great tow system. will attach photo when finished
Old 07-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Chassis battery not chrging with genny

I posted this thread on the Monaco forum but found this similar thread and thought I would pose a question to you folks. My chassis/starter batteries do not seem to charge when I am dry camping and using the genny a couple of times a day. When trying to start the coach after a few days the batteries are alost always to low to start. It never happens while on shore power. Need help! I donm't have any solar yet but very in terested in getting some soon.

Tedy
teddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery