Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2022, 01:17 AM   #1

Bay Light Switch overheat

After fixing my 12v DC issue (bad salesman switch), I found that the 12v rocker switch (on/off) for the bay lights was extremely hot (it was in the on position). It would not even let me turn it off - it was frozen - pushed hard and got it to a middle position.

It was still hot, so I removed the switch and taped-up the wires (switch and wires beside the passenger seat outboard arm rest).

I found a replacement 10 amp (at 14v) switch.

My question is, do you think just the switch was bad, or do I have a problem on one (or more) of the bay lights?

I did just touch the two wires together after removing from the switch - small spark, but the wires didn't seem to be heating up.

Worst case, I can use the MH without bay lights for now.

Also, I think I will replace all the bay light bulbs with LEDs - that should reduce the draw a lot.

Thanks for any insight or similar experiences that you may have had.

Jim
Carnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2022, 08:07 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The original incandescent bulbs that monaco installed will draw quite a bit. Count up all those bulbs that run through that switch. As I recall, I had 10. I had a similar over heating issue (switch would get quite warm, but never hot to the touch) and replaced all with LED and even added some. Never an issue since.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 10:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
The original incandescent bulbs that monaco installed will draw quite a bit. Count up all those bulbs that run through that switch. As I recall, I had 10. I had a similar over heating issue (switch would get quite warm, but never hot to the touch) and replaced all with LED and even added some. Never an issue since.
Thanks - going the LED route is my plan too.

Jim
Carnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 10:53 AM   #4
YC1

Led is definitely the route to go and you may want to look at some led strips.

If the switch has/had a bulb inside it and was/is lit most of the time that can be the source of the heat.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, light, switch