Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2022, 09:36 PM   #127

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
When you factor in estimated costs of new tires ($5000), windshield ($4500), clear coat repair ($3000), total fluids and filters changed including generator ($2000 plus), Oil line repair (a few hundred dollars plus), lead acid house and engine batteries ($1300 plus), two TV's ($1000) then $67,000 plus 5% sales tax it doesn't seem like a great deal.

The inspector gives it a "buy" recommendation.

I saw a local news story last night about how the demand for RV's in our province is cratering. Maybe it's rapidly becoming a buyers market.[/QUOTE]

IrishGuy,

The list of repairs you mention could easily apply to any used RV you are going to look at. As a matter of fact I would prefer to do all the fluids and tires on any coach i was about to buy. That gives me a baseline to start with and I like that. The windshield is an extra unexpected cost that would have been covered by insurance so that may be a negotiable expense as it wasn't previously disclosed. And Mice droppings in bedroom could be old or even a bat droppings as they are similar. In any case you will need to address that when you view the coach. But one spot of droppings is not a sign of an infestation so don't be overly alarmed. Bring a mouse trap with you if you go see it and set it overnight and come back the next day. If it's caught a mouse then negotiate th price more { while holding the dead mouse } or just walk if you so please. Either way you'll feel good about it. But my money is on an empty trap the next morning as their doesn't appear to be a infestation.

Good luck and I hope you find what you like...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2022, 10:44 PM   #128

Winnebago Owners Club
Hmmm..Mouskies, I hate'em..Today I removed 2 desiccated husks and one somewhat fresh, the maggots had just got to it..
In 16 years my rig kept inside in the winter I've had a few..Use only traps, no poison, had one die under the fridge..PeeeeU!..Five years ago I got a new roommate:.B.K....Barn Kat he loves to kill mouskies, and he eats them, tails & all..Yuck!..
Anyways my point is they are going to visit but they have never caused any damage.
So I wouldn't worry about a few droppings, and leaving a trap idea was a good one.
The mouskies around here love peanut butter.This has been the worst year in my 19 years living here..I must have cremated 26+ this spring and I have no idea how many B.K. and his new neighbor "Steve" has chomped down..
Best of Luck!
Joyce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 10:51 PM   #129

Winnebago Owners Club
P.S..The only mouse inside was the one who ate the wrong tasty treat and got stuck under the fridge..The last 3 were just in the bays..The 26 now 27 were trapped in my shop...Even after all these years...
Old 06-02-2022, 10:56 PM   #130

Thanks Joyce....they are nasty for sure,,,lol
Old 06-03-2022, 02:48 AM   #131

I’ve had 3 Class A’s and my parents have had one, ALL have had at least one incident of mice inside the coach. I hate rodents and my very first camping trip in my Endeavor I was awakened at 3am to the sound of teeny mice claws scampering across the tile floor and noise in the ceiling as well. The good news is I had already set four snap traps inside the coach and caught two within 24 hours. I spent a few hours rolling around on a creeper under the coach and foamed every opening I could find. Also discovered an opening under the hood where they had gotten up the A pillar into the front cap and ceiling. Once I sealed all those areas, I haven’t had any more. I keep traps in the basement and in the coach all the time just as a precaution.

I have also had issues with rodents chewing wires under the hood of my Audi which is parked in the driveway. They love the Audi and many newer cars because of the soy based wiring insulation. After three separate repairs totaling thousands of dollars(thank goodness for insurance), I installed an ultrasonic rodent repellent device that connects to the battery and runs 7x24. Absolutely solved my problem and worth its weight in gold. I’m planning to install one in the RV as well just as an added measure of protection. I don’t think I’ve ever met an RVer who hasn’t had at least one experience with a mouse at some point. But, sealing up openings and keeping traps baited has really helped in my case. I wouldn’t let that alone sway your decision as it can happen in any RV. Best of luck whatever you decide.
imkwuzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 07:10 AM   #132

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishguy View Post
No definitely not. If we walk and he wants it, he can pay for it. If we decide to keep dealing on it, I'll be truthful about the bad and the ugly. I just won't mention the good. I'm fairy certain he knows the negatives about that coach. He already factored in the tires and the 22 year age factor when he dropped from $80,000 cad to $67,000 cad. I really don't think he will come down much more, if any. A month or so ago they had it advertised for $111,000 cad. We're not attached to this coach so won't be overly disappointed if we can't do a deal.
When you factor in estimated costs of new tires ($5000), windshield ($4500), clear coat repair ($3000), total fluids and filters changed including generator ($2000 plus), Oil line repair (a few hundred dollars plus), lead acid house and engine batteries ($1300 plus), two TV's ($1000) then $67,000 plus 5% sales tax it doesn't seem like a great deal.

I saw a local news story last night about how the demand for RV's in our province is cratering. Maybe it's rapidly becoming a buyers market.

We found our current coach in Florida and I inspected it myself. Other then a bad wear pattern on the front tires I could not find anything wrong with it. At the time the price was extremely low (~50% of NADA) but this was at the start of the Great Recession and the rig was a REPO, which was a sign of things to come. But it's still worth 80% of what I paid for it

Even with that I decided to not make an offer at the time and waited for 4-5 days and finally called the seller back and made an offer which he accepted.

First thing I did was have an inspection and service done at the local Cummins shop. Manager went through the results and said the rig was "Cherry".
I then took it to a tire shop and had the front tires changed.
I then took it to an alignment shop, they found a problem with alignment and in my case they had to bend the front axle ( a pretty amazing process).

No idea what the market is in Canada, it is still pretty hot in USA. I'm not actively looking but by gauging how many RV's are listed on Craigslist it looks like the market is still tight.

But if you don't think this is the right rig or a good deal. Walk away.

Hopefully you'll find your rig or it will find you!!
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 08:41 AM   #133

Monaco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
No definitely not. If we walk and he wants it, he can pay for it. If we decide to keep dealing on it, I'll be truthful about the bad and the ugly. I just won't mention the good. I'm fairy certain he knows the negatives about that coach. He already factored in the tires and the 22 year age factor when he dropped from $80,000 cad to $67,000 cad. I really don't think he will come down much more, if any. A month or so ago they had it advertised for $111,000 cad. We're not attached to this coach so won't be overly disappointed if we can't do a deal.

I saw a local news story last night about how the demand for RV's in our province is cratering. Maybe it's rapidly becoming a buyers market.
You sound like you're really trying hard to find reasons not to buy this coach. lol.

Anyway, if the vibe isn't positive walk away. I've done the same many times where things "looked good" but I for whatever reason I wasn't feeling it.

For me, the windshield and mouse droppings issue would be excellent negotiating fodder. I bet they'd do $60k. On the other hand, the layout is a non-starter for us: "It has the floor plan with the open bath and bedroom. We're not all that crazy about that set up so perhaps it's not that popular with others either. If I go to look at it I want to see if its possible to install a rod and curtain between the bed and bath."

I hate those and can never understand which couple would want their bathroom open to their bedroom like that?
RoadTrip2084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 01:18 PM   #134

Ken, all reasons to walk or deal are up for consideration lol.

The bed/bathroom thing is not our first choice but the inspector did confirm a curtain can be installed as a separation. We won't know for sure what we think of that floor plan unless we actually see it. Maybe we'll like the open concept.

Anyone else out there love or hate the open bed/bath floor plan?

Among other things the windshield and mouse issue will definitely be used for negotiation.
Old 06-03-2022, 10:03 PM   #135

Adjusted offer of $59,000 (cad) with justifications from the inspection findings, sent to the salesman. Dependent on me checking it over and accepting. I guess we'll see.
Old 06-03-2022, 11:20 PM   #136

Winnebago Owners Club
There are more options than just a rod and curtains..I've seen somewhere (H/Depot-Lowes) ? An easy to install ceiling track and fiberglass, or another materiel that can close off the area., Just a thought...Cheap too.
Have Fun!
Old 06-04-2022, 07:16 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyce M View Post
There are more options than just a rod and curtains..I've seen somewhere (H/Depot-Lowes) ? An easy to install ceiling track and fiberglass, or another materiel that can close off the area., Just a thought...Cheap too.
Have Fun!
That's an interesting option.
Old 06-04-2022, 07:31 AM   #138

If there is no sign of an infestation the "mouse" issue would not drop the price if I was selling. I have 5 traps set every summer when I go North. They get the hint after three or four end up peanut butter smash. Mice and their prevention is part of the game depending on where you live. Go halfsies on the windshield and tires and see if he will bite. If not, say thanks for your time and let me know if you change your mind because you're not in a hurry.

Peace
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 07:55 AM   #139

I guess the salesman didn't like my adjusted offer. He just emailed me and said they were refunding my deposit. Didn't even try a counter offer.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.
Old 06-06-2022, 01:08 AM   #140

Quote:
I guess the salesman didn't like my adjusted offer. He just emailed me and said they were refunding my deposit. Didn't even try a counter offer.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.
In my experience, If it’s meant to be, it will happen. If it’s too difficult or feels wrong, it generally is. This just means the right RV is still out there. Took me 3 years of serious looking but I was in no hurry. Hang in there.

Tags
service