Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2010, 05:22 AM   #1

Beaver engine gauges little help please

Everyone has been so helpful (newbe??) got another question please, Just noticed that out water temp and transmission temp gauges are not working??? Scared the heck out of me as transmission guage was pegged at 325. Never noticed the gauges before (owned the coach for 6 months) Beaver Marquie 2004. We have the Alladin system and wondered if because it is hooked up to the same engine monitering system would that be why the dash gauges don't operate?? The Alladin system shows temps fine and when I checked the transmission fluid it wasn't hot or smelled burnt?? Thanks in advance for any assistance.
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2010, 08:44 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I believe that the dash gauges and the Aladdin use different sensors to read temps. The Aladdin is tied into the engine and transmission computers while the dash gauges are connected to sensors on the engine. In the past I have been told to rely on the Aladdin readings as the dash gauges are inaccurate. If it is just the Transmission gauge that is giving trouble look for a bad connection for the gauge or sensor.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:13 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Allison rep says there is a reason it's called "dipstick". Ok to check for a scare like you had, but it really needs to be checked by the keypad as described in the manuals, much more accurate. As are the Aladdin readings.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:27 AM   #4

thanks for advise guys. The water temp dash guage works ok (it was just to cold out ) any idea where the transmission temp sendor might be located???
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:16 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If it makes you feel any better my tranny temp gauge only works part time also. I just use aladdin for my readings. when it needs a repair that I can't do I will have them look at it. Not worth a special trip in my oppion.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:14 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
I too am seeing transmission temperature gauge strange behavior. It's an Allison 3000MH driven by a 330 ISC Cummins, Roadmaster chassis, and 2001 Monaco Diplomat coach. No Aladdin or other electronic read-outs.

The gauge generally reads approximately 160 degrees. Whether the ignition is on or off, engine running or not, running on a flat surface, climbing a long hill, going 65 or 35MPH, it does not seem to matter.

I put this on the to-do list when the coach was in for preventative maintenance and the tech said it was OK. He said that he checked the sensor/sender output and that it varied as expected. He "stall-tested" it. I gather that means foot on the service brake while jacking up engine RPM to cause the transmission temp to rise.

I asked the tech, "in your opinion, if operating conditions cause the transmission oil temperature to rise to say 190 degrees, the dashboard gauge will reflect a reading close to that within the normal tolerances of gauges such as this one?" He answered with an unequivocal "yes".

In the 9 days following that conversation we crossed the Siskiyous twice pulling the 3,700 pound toad with outdoor temperatures in the low 60's at times and the dash gauge did not budge.

However, when we got home yesterday afternoon, DW and I were jockeying the coach around in the driveway and I had occasion to have it in gear at idle for a couple of minutes at a time interspersed with nudges of engine speed to get it up on its wood leveling blocks. Lo and behold, the transmission gauge registered up to 180 degrees during these machinations.

This would not be so puzzling except that the gauge still reads about 160 when the ignition key is switched on after the coach has been sitting for weeks in cool weather.

So my question is; is it normal for this drive-train/transmission configuration to run under heavy load at 160 degrees "all day long" and only start to break a sweat in the driveway with some maneuvering, albeit against some minor, short-duration, small-magnitude resistance?

Am planning to call Allison but saw this thread and wondered what the group's experience in this area is.

Thanks,
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:38 PM   #7

My own experience is that the gauge (and the trans) stays in the 160 range all the time.
After changing my filter and adding new fluid, then going on a test drive, I had to do exactly what the tech said he did to yours in order to get a reading from the tranny on whether or not it had enough fluid.
Mandys Man is offline   Reply With Quote