Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2015, 11:26 AM   #1

Beaver or Monaco Multiplex modifications

Hi,

Does anyone know if any custom modifications can be made to the multiplex system such as accessing unused really or dimmer circuits?

This assumes that there are some unused relay inputs/outputs or dimmer outputs and unused switches on the switch consoles available so there is something to program.

I'm figuring that one would have to get access to the programming software which may or may not be possible.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2015, 12:13 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If you are not a member of the Monacoers group on Yahoo I would join, there are some really knowledgeable people on there. You can query the history and find some posts on the Multiplex system. Once you join you can ask questions, you will get lots of feedback.

I think I read the guys at M & M Electronics know this system.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:13 PM   #3

I would be leery of fooling with that stuff. The software is hard to find. Try posting on the Monaco Yahoo site. There is a fellow who may be able to help. I think his handle is Hot Rod.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:14 PM   #4

Yes, you can. Or could. About 8 years ago, I reprogrammed most of our Intellitec keypads to make them more intuitive, and to allow switch lights from locations Monaco hadn't thought about. As I recall, once you get into the program, it's not bad. The trouble is, it requires an interconnection module that plugs into the programming plug behind the cover plate. The module used a serial connection. I no longer have a computer with a serial port. I think it will work with a USB/serial converter, if you have the right one. It also requires a Windows based computer.

You will need to get your hands on that interface module from Intellitec, and it may require that you get someone at Monaco tech to authorize your purchasing it before they will sell it to you. That was the case when I purchased mine.

Now, with that said, I suspect that you may be able to find an RV service facility that is qualified and equipped to re-program the keypads. I have no idea what they may charge, but it would be worth asking around. You might try calling Intellitec to see if they could point you to such a service location.

Good luck. And one day I may find myself having to resurrect the hardware and software that I think I have somewhere, and re-learning how to do it, myself.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:09 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
I would be leery of fooling with that stuff. The software is hard to find. Try posting on the Monaco Yahoo site. There is a fellow who may be able to help. I think his handle is Hot Rod.
Yes his user name is Hotrod and he signs his posts with Bill G. I know his name and he lives in Mississippi. He purchased the necessary equipment to save and re-program the Multiplex CPU. He can also make custom changes to the software and has done so to his coach. If you have a Multiplex system in your coach it would be a good plan to back up the software in case the module fails. The software will vary from coach to coach and Bill G can plug into your control module and copy that software and save it for you. He attends many events such as FMCA and Good Sam and it may be possible to arrange a meet up with him. He is on both the Monacoers and the MCOA yahoo sites.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...sociation/info

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Monacoers/info

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:22 AM   #6

Intellitec does not sell anything to the general public nor do they provide any tech support. 8 years ago the original Monaco was still in business. Things have changed. I don't think any Monaco dealers can help. Maybe Nodine will post the name of the authorized Intellitec service centre.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:45 PM   #7

Well, it sound like it's doable.

Right now the only thing I would consider doing is to control an electric valve on the propane tank. That way valve would be closed except when you want to use the cooktop. In addition if you hit all light out or turned on the key it would close the valve. I could do it independently as well.

Still I'm more likely to convert from propane to all electric so no propane would be needed at all.

All of this depends if we decide to get a used Beaver or Monaco rather than a new Tiffin.

Thanks
Old 01-25-2015, 02:59 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
It might be easier to swap the stove for induction and remove the propane altogether.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:01 PM   #9

Bill G aka Hotrod

I know the system and have the equipment.

Yes changes can be made. Yes there generally seem to be inused channels. You can look at the outout boxes to see if some are not used.

I would need to know what you want to do to see what it would take. And might need to read your cpu.

I'm in FL for about a month at LazyDays currently.

Bill G 06 Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
Hi,

Does anyone know if any custom modifications can be made to the multiplex system such as accessing unused really or dimmer circuits?

This assumes that there are some unused relay inputs/outputs or dimmer outputs and unused switches on the switch consoles available so there is something to program.

I'm figuring that one would have to get access to the programming software which may or may not be possible.
geewizgeewiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:53 AM   #10

Do I really want to buy a Monaco with multiplex wiring? This sounds like it is going to be very challenging to repair down the road. Also given the fact that factory support is limited.

Dan
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:28 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I visit the Monacoers & IRV2 site frequently trying to stay up to date on mostly maintenance and repair issues. I very seldom see any posts regarding problems with the multiplex system.

The big question will be how long you could get parts. I believe that M & M Electronics out of Ohio service the systems and probably can provides replacement parts. They helped me out when by EMS crashed and I upgraded to the new board and load monitor. Very good people to deal with.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadej View Post
Do I really want to buy a Monaco with multiplex wiring? This sounds like it is going to be very challenging to repair down the road. Also given the fact that factory support is limited.

Dan
I guess it depends on perspective. I love the multiplex system and have more than a dozen added switches. My favorite is the master and the coach had Many now. Besides being Ablr to do all lights off by holdinf the button 3 seconds , it all on by holding it six seconds it also will turn all the lights in the main saloon on or off by holding it 3/4 of a second (but less than 3 seconds). This is much quicker and useful. There are three of them in the main saloon. The enunciator light on the master is used for different things in different places. I have a 10 key pad in the Br and added the bathroom overhead vent and the light over the ps couch and the AH diesel control . So if I'm in bed the light on the master Sw on that panel tells me if AH electric is on. If i wake up cold at night or want to use the shower i can glance at that and although I can't contril it from that oanel i Know If I need the oil burner on. In the kitchen a light on master tells me the genny is running. Just extra functionality. The control over the ps couch lighting is because if I go to bed and Dw is sitting there knitting i can turn off all lights and get hers back on before im in trouble. The 3/4 second toggle switching for the main saloon Is a complex add on that requires new cpu logic and programming. As far as using unused outputs, if you just want to control lights it only may require switch programming. Catch me at a rally. Going to Madison FMCA and the Monaco pre-rally.
geewizgeewiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:41 AM   #13

If I remember correctly Silver Leaf Electronics has a replacement system which uses the existing wiring. You might want to give them a call.

If you want to splurge you might want to add their Glass Cockpit

Tags
beaver, cat, monaco