Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2022, 01:06 PM   #1

Beaver Patriot Trenton Questions

So I bought a 97 Beaver Patriot. It was a long distance purchase. So I explained to the owner I needed a series, he told me Ticonderoga. I found financing that allowed for NADA high book. The Ticonderoga at that time was 29.500.00 well over the asking. I noticed the VIN tag as "The Trenton". which is 14.900.00 High book. This Coach is a Trenton except for the super slide and a few upgrades. Anybody have any history? I know Safari had taken over and maybe this was a growing pain glitch. One of the upgrades was the Aqua Hot which I need to restore. The Heater was working, but now fires up and runs for a while until I turn on zone 2 then shuts off. And now the same on zone 1, but sometimes runs extended periods of time. It is super cold so hard to imagine a overheat shut down. It definitely seems zones 1&2 are suspect as connected to the issue.
G man 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2022, 01:51 PM   #2

Welcome.
Heritage is mixed, but the components are the components. When you say "upgrade" are you inferring that AH was added to the coach ? I understood that is a big deal to retro fit. Regardless someone in the AH know will help but I suggest you provide more specifics, model # and pictures.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 02:51 PM   #3

Was it on diesel fired at the time. The electric element can't keep up much more than to heat water and maybe take chill of 50f day. Not really sure how you mean or how it's kicking out.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 06:09 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Was it on diesel fired at the time. The electric element can't keep up much more than to heat water and maybe take chill of 50f day. Not really sure how you mean or how it's kicking out.
+1

The electric element in the small AH units is practically useless at heating your coach!
If you need heat, you need to burn diesel!
Old 12-04-2022, 08:09 AM   #5

Sorry, I am still trying to figure out how to navigate forum. The AH trouble shooting did not cover my issue. My coach manual is for the Trenton LP and not the Ticonderoga diesel. So no trouble shooting from coach to heater. AH. 920411/412 I hope you got the first part of message in the Thank you response. Essentially The diesel shuts down intermittent. The first time is when I turned on zone 2. I have the AH. literature. I am going to follow that. Maybe the path will end at the Control Thermostat Wiring. I hope someone has info from coach to AH. Thanks again. I will try to post a picture!!!
Old 12-04-2022, 08:16 AM   #6

Yeah the diesel burner goes out intermittently. The electrical side needs rebuilt. I just bought this coach and the previous owner left some things a mess. Any info on the diesel side would be appreciated Thanks.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:34 AM   #7

As far as the the confusion on the series due to options, Safari Motorcoaches followed the lead of a lot of car manufacturer's, offering a base series along with various option packages. They also sold upgrades individually. Still,, regardless of the upgrades, the series model name would remain the same.

My Safari is a Serengeti, but has about 85% of the options a Continental does, but it's still called a Serengeti.

It doesn't mater what ambient temps are, you can still get an overheat shutdown if the boiler temps get too high. You'll have to walk through the troubleshooting tree step by step. Does you unit show any error lights?

Here's a service manual for the 400 series: https://library.aquahot.com/wp-conte...ice_Manual.pdf
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 09:10 PM   #8

How certain are you it kicks out exactly when you turn on zones.
First thing is to do is an annual service with new filter ,nozzle. Check to see if there's a spark element. alignment tool attached to a storage screw on the burner.
Reports of relays coming off the circuit board. I suppose an iffy ground or power could drop out with the extra fans and pump coming on.
Amazon has a good price on nozzles last I checked. Follow the torque spec the swing bolts so you don't break the ears off the burner.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:42 AM   #9

Apparently I lost a very lengthy response. Here is the short version, again I thank you for all the info, manual, history etc. I think I am getting it figured out and with all the help. We almost got the Continental! Thanks again.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:53 AM   #10

Actually it does not shut off immediately. And you are spot on about doing the yearly Maint. The guy says he put a new Wabasco burner in it. But then he said a lot of things. I think it is a fine system and can't wait to restore it. Thanks for the response. It was very helpful.
Old 12-05-2022, 11:25 AM   #11

If new ne aware genny and AH shut down at about 1/4 tank AH can be more intermittent at that level of empty. Also AH can not be winterized by blowing it out . It needs antifreeze. If I remember right mine needs about 2.5 gallons just on hot side. The manibloc manifold and expansion tank in mine adds a lot of extra piping. I do hot first .
Old 12-06-2022, 07:43 AM   #12

That is funny you should mention the 1/4 tank thing. It didn't act up until after I filled it! Grasping at anything I thought that might of done something weird L.O.L. Apparently all or most R.V.s that have gen sets are designed with the generator fuel line coming up to the quarter of a tank level so you don't use all your fuel on the gen set.
Old 12-07-2022, 11:38 PM   #13

Filling tank could stir stuff up but genny and AH pick ups are off the bottom of tank. As well as they have pretty slow draw rate, less likely to suck up gunk. Vacuum in tank due to plugged vent has mentioned a few times as possibility but not sure if suggestion has ever panned out as the reason for a lack of fuel in a genny or AH.
Old 12-13-2022, 02:30 PM   #14

I have a 1997 Patriot Brandywine 40' single slide with an aquahot. When we got ours, the AH had not been winterized properly and had frozen and burst. Being a plumber by trade I was able to tear it apart and re-build it. I also had issues with the diesel burner and other posters are correct, the single electric element is pretty much useless unless low temps are still in the 50's at least. I found a guy in Sandy, OR near me who owns "River City Mobile RV Repair". After taking mine to him, it works beautifully, had to replace a thermostat, some burnt/brittle wiring / coil and do a full service on it. Come to find out, he worked for Beaver Motor Coach during this era as their only certified Aqua-Hot tech so he said mine being a '97 (and yours too) he definitely put the Aqua-Hot in the coach originally. I'm not sure if he's till in business as it was 4 years ago when I had him work on mine.