RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2014, 07:47 PM   #1

Beaver Storage / Charging Questions

I have a 1999 Beaver Contessa. I am storing it indoors this year (thanks to a friend with lots of warehouse space) with electricity available. Should I leave her plugged in is the first question. The second question is, there are 2 battery shut off switches in a rear compartment, when they are turned off and the rig is plugged in, are the batteries being charged ?? I had always thought they were and the switches being off took away the chance for any load to bleed them down. I believe I have a 2000 Watt Invertor / Charger w a monitor for the house batteries and an echo battery charger for the chassis batteries (according to literature). Last winter I stored outside and simply shut off the battery shutoff switches and walked away.

Thoughts ??

Thanks in advance for your wisdom / experience......................

bulldog2655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2014, 09:39 PM   #2

I leave plugged in and the battery switches both on. My book says that it will still charge the batteries even with my switches off not sure about yours but you could check the batteries with a voltmeter and see if they are charging. The question then is if your chassis batteries are also being charged and again you can check that with a meter. If not then you need to buy a trickle charger for your chassis batteries. Don't know where you are and if it is cold enough but batteries that lose their charge will freeze if it gets cold enough. Does the warehouse stay above freezing in Michigan?

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:28 AM   #3

Warehouse

The warehouse is kept at 60 Degrees !

Thanks for your input.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:50 AM   #4

That's great. Can I bring my MH and park next to you
Old 11-24-2014, 02:13 PM   #5

Might not make sense, it is in Michigan ! LOL

M
Old 11-24-2014, 08:47 PM   #6

I am in Freeport, Maine and my MH is parked outside
Old 11-25-2014, 07:43 AM   #7

Yes, I bet it is cold up there !

M
Old 11-25-2014, 08:02 AM   #8
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I leave my Beaver coach plugged in on 110v. I leave the coach batteries on but chassis batteries off. My 2000 watt charger/converter does a good job of looking after the house batteries, but not the chassis batteries. I have a parasitic drain on the chassis batteries I have not been able to find yet. I'm not sure if my Echo charger is working properly, still Looking into it.
I solved my chassis battery issue by installing a separate 12 step NOCO smart charge battery maintainer that I leave plugged in as well on the Chassis batteries. It now holds them at 100%.
Here's a link to it if anyone needs a good one. Ratings are 5 out of 5.

Noco Switch Mode Multistage 12 Volt - 7.2 Amp / 24 Volt 3.6 Amp

Tags
beaver, charging, storage