Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2020, 07:04 PM   #1

Bed Size Upgrade?

We are in the market for a used class A and are interested in a 2006 Monaco Diplomat. One of my wife's "must haves" is a king size bed and while this particular model has a queen, the owner claims a king size mattress will fit which I find surprising. Looking at the brochure I see that a king was offered as an option on a few of the floor plans. Does anyone know how that works? Is the actual bedroom dimension larger or is there actually enough room for a king without modification?

Thanks,

Jeff in Cloverdale, CA
jpat34721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2020, 07:29 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
On mine they did away with the night side table on the right side when you are standing at the bottom of the bed.
Love our King Bed and so does the wife.

Terry & Pat
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:33 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
All the bed platforms are the same size -- As Terry stated, you will lose one of the side tables for the King Mattress to fit -- Removing the table is not a big job -- Just some screw holes to cover -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:39 AM   #4

Must be an older couple.....LOL
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:04 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Must be an older couple.....LOL

Bob -- We have a king size bed & we`re only mid 80`s -- So king size is for us young folks also -- Bill Willard
Old 07-14-2020, 04:12 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Willard View Post
Bob -- We have a king size bed & we`re only mid 80`s -- So king size is for us young folks also -- Bill Willard

Great to know!
Was actually thinking about this down the road when we are older younger !
Queen working for our current needs
CaptV1VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 11:09 AM   #7

Actually Monaco added wood to the right side of the bed frame also. Kind of strange when they added the king they removed the night stand on the right side and added the wood to the right side so it’s not square but hangs over the right side of the frame. Only problem is you loose space on the right side between the bed and the wall
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 02:09 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Jeff! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

The wife and I have talked about converting to a king bed but neither of us wants to give up the nightstand! Sure wish there was another answer but it's obvious in our case that there's not!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 02:40 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I`ve installed new carpet in many motorhomes & I always remove the bed -- I`ve found that the bed is the same size for king or queen -- For the 40ft & smaller they just removed a side cabinet for a king -- Over 40 they have two cabinets -- I`ve seen where the owner added some length to the foot of the bed -- I say owner, because I doubt the factory would take the time to do that -- Maybe the dealer would -- The only difference in the beds are the mechanics -- Who ever dreamed some of them up really had a wild imagination -- Bill Willard
Old 07-16-2020, 06:45 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Willard View Post
I`ve installed new carpet in many motorhomes & I always remove the bed -- I`ve found that the bed is the same size for king or queen -- For the 40ft & smaller they just removed a side cabinet for a king -- Over 40 they have two cabinets -- I`ve seen where the owner added some length to the foot of the bed -- I say owner, because I doubt the factory would take the time to do that -- Maybe the dealer would -- The only difference in the beds are the mechanics -- Who ever dreamed some of them up really had a wild imagination -- Bill Willard
I have a queen, but would love to have a king. Removing the night stands makes sense but you’d also have to put in a larger bed platform, which would result in almost no room get around the bed from each side.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:10 PM   #11

Google mattress sizes......
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 09:10 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We are thinking of the same upgrade in our lovely 2000 Windsor.

Here is my kooky idea -- feel free to review and make suggestions. My plan is to remove the side tables and cut them down to match the exact height of the wider mattress support board we are adding (3/4" thick) to the original board, centered on the queen spot. While the tables are out, we remove the awful old carpet.

We reinstall the shorter side tables and add the wider base board (wide enough for a king width). This makes the platform wider at the foot, and... wait for it,... the mattress sits (level) on part of the side table at the head! Maintains some walking space of about 10" on each side.

The idea was to maintain the side table benefits: covers some wiring; 10" left of actual table surface; one drawer left at the bottom; looks nice and allows to put back the queen in future if needed for us or a buyer. The reduction of height is only about 6 in to the tables.

Has anyone removed their tables? Was it hard?

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Hi Jeff! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

The wife and I have talked about converting to a king bed but neither of us wants to give up the nightstand! Sure wish there was another answer but it's obvious in our case that there's not!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Old 05-31-2021, 03:34 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would never take a king size if I had the option, rather have the space around and more difficult to do the sheets. But had no choice as it came with the coach. We've been just fine with a queen in our house for 40 years.
Old 05-31-2021, 04:07 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon5 View Post
We are thinking of the same upgrade in our lovely 2000 Windsor.

Here is my kooky idea -- feel free to review and make suggestions. My plan is to remove the side tables and cut them down to match the exact height of the wider mattress support board we are adding (3/4" thick) to the original board, centered on the queen spot. While the tables are out, we remove the awful old carpet.

We reinstall the shorter side tables and add the wider base board (wide enough for a king width). This makes the platform wider at the foot, and... wait for it,... the mattress sits (level) on part of the side table at the head! Maintains some walking space of about 10" on each side.

The idea was to maintain the side table benefits: covers some wiring; 10" left of actual table surface; one drawer left at the bottom; looks nice and allows to put back the queen in future if needed for us or a buyer. The reduction of height is only about 6 in to the tables.

Has anyone removed their tables? Was it hard?

David
I think what you're saying is do-able. Each coach is a little different and it depends on what level you want to keep it not looking like a 'remodel'. Post some pictures of what you have now.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade