RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2020, 09:50 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Bed Struts 2004 Windsor PDQ

The P.O. installed a Tempurpedic mattress that is heavy as heck. It makes it all but impossible for me to lift up alone so all that space is wasted. Has anyone upgraded the gas struts and has it helped. What sized did you order. Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2020, 01:16 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Are your struts under the bed mounted similar to this? (close to the top of the bed frame box)
This is the way mine came from the factory.Click image for larger version

Name:	original bed struts.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	288117

If so, Monaco didn't think when they designed the struts placement. When the bed is down, the struts are nearly horizontal and even though they are fully compressed, they are trying to push the bed horizontal, not vertically, so You're doing all the work for the first foot or so.

windsorbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:43 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I dropped mine down. This way the strut is trying to push the bed up when compressed, helping you push it up. the problem is the bed box is hollow and there was not enough support so I installed some sheet metal and then attached the strut to that. Really makes a difference and the DW can get the bed up on her own.Click image for larger version

Name:	new bed struts.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	287.8 KB
ID:	288119

The struts I used now are signature series ST309p-120 SIGNATURE SERIES GAS SPRING

I'd consider going to a heavier than my 120# if your mattress is that heavy.

Jim J did a hydraulic set up (from my memory). I haven't seen it, but it sounds interesting. Maybe he will come along here.....
Old 06-03-2020, 04:17 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
I dropped mine down. This way the strut is trying to push the bed up when compressed, helping you push it up. the problem is the bed box is hollow and there was not enough support so I installed some sheet metal and then attached the strut to that. Really makes a difference and the DW can get the bed up on her own.Attachment 288119

The struts I used now are signature series ST309p-120 SIGNATURE SERIES GAS SPRING

I'd consider going to a heavier than my 120# if your mattress is that heavy.

Jim J did a hydraulic set up (from my memory). I haven't seen it, but it sounds interesting. Maybe he will come along here.....

Thanks. I have the same problem and now that you mention it mine are installed the same as yours were. If I relocate in a downward arc and add a plate as you did I might even be able to use the originals. I will try it that way first anyway.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:20 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I actually used an 12 volt actuator the same length as the strut and mounted it on one side. I left the original struts in place so the actuator just helps the process. It has a wireless remote so it's pretty easy to lift the bed. We installed a foam topper with the mattress so it is heavy but the actuator works.

Here is an actuator similar to the one I got, not sure of the length though.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/14mm-s-18-D...gAAOSw8mtciwR~

I ran a power supply from the passenger side electrical bay through the engine compartment and then under the bed. I did rig a quick release pin to disengage the actuator just in case, never had to use it yet.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:22 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I actually used an 12 volt actuator the same length as the strut and mounted it on one side. I left the original struts in place so the actuator just helps the process. It has a wireless remote so it's pretty easy to lift the bed. We installed a foam topper with the mattress so it is heavy but the actuator works.

Here is an actuator similar to the one I got, not sure of the length though.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/14mm-s-18-D...gAAOSw8mtciwR~

I did rig a quick release pin to disengage the actuator just in case, never had to use it yet.
Hey Jim,

I'm curious, when your bed is down, how long does it take the actuator to lift it up?
Old 06-03-2020, 04:52 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Just from memory maybe 5 seconds or less. Not enough time to worry about.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:58 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Try Hatchlift.com If you use the chart,you will get correct angle etc...
TOM356C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:10 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Our tech, who I've used thru 3 rv's and trust explicitly, said don't add a heavier lift for ours because the frame on our 43dft would not support it... so adding some support to spread out the load is a good idea !
Old 06-04-2020, 02:59 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
Thanks. I have the same problem and now that you mention it mine are installed the same as yours were. If I relocate in a downward arc and add a plate as you did I might even be able to use the originals. I will try it that way first anyway.
You can try swinging the frame part of the strut down, and it should work. The only issue is the bed probably won't go up as high as your use to now.

It's worth a try. And then you can also see if the strength of your current strut is adequate.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:13 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Our tech, who I've used thru 3 rv's and trust explicitly, said don't add a heavier lift for ours because the frame on our 43dft would not support it... so adding some support to spread out the load is a good idea !
I also wonder if the bed might not rise up when hitting a large bump.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:17 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
You can try swinging the frame part of the strut down, and it should work. The only issue is the bed probably won't go up as high as your use to now.

It's worth a try. And then you can also see if the strength of your current strut is adequate.

That could be. Would shifting the attachment forward the same amount as down help that?
Old 06-04-2020, 07:23 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
That could be. Would shifting the attachment forward the same amount as down help that?
It might, but you'll have to play with it. The farther forward you push it, the move force it's going to take to lift the bed. It takes a lot more force to lift the bed the closer you get to the hinge.

I can't move mine forward because of the way the bed frame is built. Your's might be different. Your signature says you have a national tropical, but I would guess the strut isn't going to be strong enough to lift the bed.

Tags
wind