Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2023, 03:49 PM   #1

Best Monaco Aluminum roof cleaner?

I am going to be doing some roof top maintenance, replacing some Dicor lap sealant, etc. on my 2002 Safari Trek, which has the same 2 part Aluminum roof with silver tape down the middle as several other Monaco, Holiday Rambler, etc. coaches of the era, and wanted your advice on best prep for cleaning the oxidized paint on the Aluminum in prep for fresh lap sealant?

thanks
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2023, 10:34 PM   #2

Probably the best thing you can use is a commercial car wash product like Meguirs or Blue Coral. Our Rambler is a white painted just like the sides, and we have it washed by a company that specializes in RV washes when we go through Vegas. They use the same wash on the roof as the sides. When I wash it or any of my other vehicles, I just use Dawn dishwashing liquid. I figure if it is good enough to clean crude oil off ducks, it's good enough to wash road grime off without stripping the paint.

While you are up there check out all your plastic parts, just age alone can have dried out the plastic even if it's been under cover most of it's life. If it has lived in the southern latitudes during the winter and had a lot of sun exposure, the plastics could be getting a bit crumbly. I've got a vent lid, and stack cover that are going to be getting replaced because they're becoming visibly fried.
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 10:49 PM   #3

I was up there yesterday, found one of my vent covers cracked, so I am replacing it with the same model, unfortunately it looks like it will take a month to get here.
Old 03-31-2023, 10:55 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I was up there yesterday, found one of my vent covers cracked, so I am replacing it with the same model, unfortunately it looks like it will take a month to get here.

The very first thing I always do and recommend others do is to buy the Maxx-Aire covers to put over all the vents on your RV. The original material used on the vent covers doesn't hold up well to the sunlight, soon gets brittle and cracks. The $30 the covers cost is cheap compared to the damage a cracked vent cover can cause. The material the Maxx-Aire covers are made from is far superior to the original cheapo covers on the vents. If you're covering the Fantastic Fans, buy their covers. They're more expensive but made to work with the fan so it still moves a good amount of air and won't be overloaded.

The voice of experience.
DFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 09:12 AM   #5

This is replacing a Maxx Aire II vent cover that has cracked, as to price they are up to about $50 now.
Old 04-01-2023, 10:01 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Depends on where you buy them.
https://www.amazon.com/Maxxair-503-1...dp/B000UUMM6K/

$31.12
Old 04-02-2023, 04:13 AM   #7

That is a MaxxAire, not a MaxxAire II cover https://www.amazon.com/MAXXAIR-00-93...dp/B08VBX6PVK/
Old 04-02-2023, 02:54 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Both of these beat the pants of the vent covers that come standard on RVs which ought to be outlawed. The MaxxAireII is a lot nicer than the standard MaxxAire but there is $16.58 difference in price too. I see neither one is designed for high powered fans like a Fantastic. The II sounds like it's easier to open up for cleaning but taking the 4 nuts off the cheaper one isn't hard. I think I'll stick with the cheaper model.

When you said your vent cover was cracked, I assumed you were talking about the fragile OEM vent covers that don't last. What do you think caused your cover to crack? I've had the cheaper ones on my roof for well over 10 years with no issues on my present MH and like I said, one of the first things I do when I get an RV is cover the OEM vent covers with one of these.

I've heard from too many folks about all the damage they had when their OEM covers went bad while their RV was in storage and never knew it was raining in through the vent till after it was way too late (rotted floors and ruined beds).
Old 04-02-2023, 03:08 PM   #9

I don't know the cause of it but I have a single finger length crack running down the centerline of my vent which is located about 3 or so feet due aft of my roof top air conditioner which I just replaced, so it was unlikely to be caused by a long hanging limb, etc. as the air conditioner shroud is a little taller than the vent cover. I am not sure of the exact age of the Maxx Aire II covers, but do know the logo was somewhat faded the first time I was up on the roof shortly after buying the coach in 2016, of course since I bought it the coach has generally been stored in an enclosed shed when not in use.

Tags
cac, roof, monaco