Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2020, 10:08 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
I bought mine at the local Cummins dealer (fleetguard, OE) for about $100 USD. The original lasted 20 years and 150,000 km's and still didn't need to replaced.

One thing though, make sure all the seams are sealed......and if not, seal them yourself.
Seriously, 20 years? You are braver then I.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2020, 10:25 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
Seriously, 20 years? You are braver then I.
Yes, and it was still good. 150,000 km's and 20 years.
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:59 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
One thing to check is the filter minder. Back ~10 years ago when I was servicing my rig I removed the filter minder. It is remotely mounted onto a vertical post in front of the engine and has a small ~1/4" hose going to a fitting that is welded into the air intake pipe in front of the turbo. I inspected everything and saw that the base of the filter minder was all cracked. I tried to pull a vacuum on it to see if it would trip red, it did not, the cracks were letting enough air in so the filter minder would not work to indicate if the filter was plugged. I took some epoxy and sealed the base of the filter minder. Now I will remove the filter minder on a regular basis and test it to make sure it will trip the indicator. I did this last week when I changed the air filter.

I also do a "white glove" test the inside of the air intake piping to check for any dirt.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:16 PM   #18

Racor ecolite at finditparts was 140.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 12:03 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
One thing to check is the filter minder. Back ~10 years ago when I was servicing my rig I removed the filter minder. It is remotely mounted onto a vertical post in front of the engine and has a small ~1/4" hose going to a fitting that is welded into the air intake pipe in front of the turbo. I inspected everything and saw that the base of the filter minder was all cracked. I tried to pull a vacuum on it to see if it would trip red, it did not, the cracks were letting enough air in so the filter minder would not work to indicate if the filter was plugged. I took some epoxy and sealed the base of the filter minder. Now I will remove the filter minder on a regular basis and test it to make sure it will trip the indicator. I did this last week when I changed the air filter.

I also do a "white glove" test the inside of the air intake piping to check for any dirt.
Good point, mine was still working properly after all these years What I did find out though is that on my unit the air comes in from the top of the roof (likely why the filter was still usable) and then into the center of the filter. It then passes through the filter into the outer casing before going into the engine. This is why it is so important (on mine) to ensure the seams of the can are properly sealed. The original 20 year old one was sealed nicely. The new OE replacement was not! It had gaps in the sealant.

*Had I not checked that it would have sucked unfiltered outside air from the rear of the engine (where it blows all the dust as you go down the road) into the engine*

Maybe my case is unique, but with the air intake from the roof very little dirt/debris gets in there. But you really have to be certain the outside of the can and the top and bottom caps are 100% sealed or you will dust the engine.
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 05:40 AM   #20

Ecolite is the company that makes these filters for most filter mfrs. They are all the same.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:06 PM   #21

Well, thanks much everyone for all your great inputs. After reviewing them and a bit more searching I finally settled on a source selling the Baldwin PA2722 for $134 with no tax and free shipping.

I did call to confirm it was really a Baldwin label with mesh both sides of media. Also verified recent production -- manf less than 2 months ago. Young fellow was very polite and friendly (after a bit of a hold wait) and promptly volunteered to go pull the actual item and confirm my questions.

So far so good. If comes in quickly (as promised) and all checks out, I'll share the source and recommend them for your consideration for this and other engine/drivetrain parts needs.

Best regards and thanks again,
Lou
Chieflou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:25 PM   #22

Well folks, a quicker update than I expected. Ordered filter on 13th, it arrived today. Maybe due to my proximity to origination of Iowa, but still, 2 days to the boondocks of ND is pretty darn good (since it's mule/wagon that last 20mi ... LOL!!). Also means it was on the truck same day I ordered.

It's labelled Baldwin, manf on 08/18/20, and MADE IN USA. So not a knock-off and def. new production. I've not noticed in the other pics of these with the dual-sided mesh, but this one also has a spiral bead of glue applied over the mesh which reaches through the mesh and stabilizes the media behind it. This is only on the outer mesh, not on the interior. Looks like a "continuous improvement" process ... pretty cool!

Last but not least, the seller (which I'll def. be giving additional business) is: Drivetrain America. Give 'em a look for your next order -- great price, nice folks to deal with, and prompt shipping.

Regards all,
Lou
Chieflou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:37 AM   #23

I have switched to drive train America as well, I replaced the front wheel bearings/races and seals last year and they were the best price and free shipping.

This year I ordered all my filters from them as well as the air filter, which I change every 2 years.

Shipped the same day free!

2016 Newmar London Aire
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:07 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post

Good advice checking the filter minder itself. I always do the "white glove" test, well, with a white rag, most probably do. Just put on the "to do list": check the filter minder and hose that feeds it.

Tags
air