Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #1

Best VALUE?

I'm looking at two Monaco coaches. The first is a '92 Crown Royale 40' that has most of what we think we want in a motorhome. The price seems quite reasonable, and it APPEARS to be in good shape, but one is always concerned about what doesn't show in a coach this old.
We are determined to find a mid-entry (don't want to get into why here), so we are somewhat limited in newer coaches available.
However, I have found a very nice looking '99 Signature with a tag axle and a slide that does have the door in the right place! We have mixed feelings about the slide (yeah we're just THAT old school I guess), but might consider the one in this coach as it moves only couch and dining, rather than kitchen or the head of the bed.
The rest of the coach is outstanding and it has a couple of features lacking in the older model: a one piece windshield so that the wipers are out of your sight line (that sort of thing bugs the crap out of me when driving) and Webasto heat and hot water. It is otherwise very similar, but the price, which is quite reasonable when compared to its contemporaries, IS THREE TIMES that of the '92.
Soooo, the question is: Which is the better VALUE?
The '99 could have hidden issues as well though it is a bit newer. How much is that seven years worth????
ROADOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADOG View Post
I'm looking at two Monaco coaches. The first is a '92 Crown Royale 40' that has most of what we think we want in a motorhome. The price seems quite reasonable, and it APPEARS to be in good shape, but one is always concerned about what doesn't show in a coach this old. We are determined to find a mid-entry (don't want to get into why here), so we are somewhat limited in newer coaches available. However, I have found a very nice looking '99 Signature with a tag axle and a slide that does have the door in the right place! We have mixed feelings about the slide (yeah we're just THAT old school I guess), but might consider the one in this coach as it moves only couch and dining, rather than kitchen or the head of the bed. The rest of the coach is outstanding and it has a couple of features lacking in the older model: a one piece windshield so that the wipers are out of your sight line (that sort of thing bugs the crap out of me when driving) and Webasto heat and hot water. It is otherwise very similar, but the price, which is quite reasonable when compared to its contemporaries, IS THREE TIMES that of the '92. Soooo, the question is: Which is the better VALUE? The '99 could have hidden issues as well though it is a bit newer. How much is that seven years worth????
A couple of points in the '99s favor. The engine should be electronic either an M11 plus or ISM. The transmission is an Allison 4000 6 speed with top 2 over drives.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We got our 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series about 3 yrs ago. We do like the coach but after living in it full time we are looking at upgrading with either $20k to $50k worth of things or just going with a much newer one and yes with a slide. Not that a slide is a must have BUT if we are going newer then we will get them.

Part of the reason for a newer one is the fact that we are finding more and more CGs that are not allowing older coaches. We have run into the infamous 10yr ones and one over by us now has a limit of 15yrs on them. We have bypassed the age limit a little by staying in a mobile home park. Some pull the old mobile homes out and leave the spaces for RV's that want to stay several months at a time.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:00 AM   #4

"A couple of points in the '99s favor. The engine should be electronic either an M11 plus or ISM. The transmission is an Allison 4000 6 speed with top 2 over drives."

OK BUT does that make it worth in excess of $40k more?
The old L10 is supposed to be a good engine too. I'm not sure I even want electronic. (Yeah I'm that old school) They may be great when they work, but if the computer crashes????????????????
An old mechanical diesel has to be one of the most DEPENDABLE power sources ever produced.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADOG View Post
"A couple of points in the '99s favor. The engine should be electronic either an M11 plus or ISM. The transmission is an Allison 4000 6 speed with top 2 over drives." OK BUT does that make it worth in excess of $40k more? The old L10 is supposed to be a good engine too. I'm not sure I even want electronic. (Yeah I'm that old school) They may be great when they work, but if the computer crashes???????????????? An old mechanical diesel has to be one of the most DEPENDABLE power sources ever produced.
I'm not arguing in favor of one or the other. If you don't want any specifics, don't ask for input. Only you can decide what either one is worth to you.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
I'm not arguing in favor of one or the other. If you don't want any specifics, don't ask for input. Only you can decide what either one is worth to you.
Thanks for the input. I'm really not trying to be argumentative. I know most of the specifics of the two coaches already. What I am looking for is the opinions of those more experienced than I as to VALUE (obviously a somewhat subjective thing) of the specifics when one costs soooo much more than the other. Do folks who have used both feel that newer engines are THAT far superior to old? Is the older coach going to be a money pit such that I will end up paying almost as much for a lesser coach? And as the '99 is also an "older" coach by some standards, is the seven years difference in their ages going to result in enough fewer maintenance issues to justify the added cost? All of this is of course speculation as no one I know possesses an infallible crystal ball. I am just asking for OPINIONS. Older coach actually has less mileage, for what that may be worth; both under 100k.
Obviously at some point WE will have to make a choice, pay our money and take our chances, I'm just trying to get all the input I can to make an informed decision.
Thanks again to all who weigh in.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #7

Ok. I'll weigh in on this. ALL COACHES REQUIRE A LOT OF MAINTENECE. If you are not sure you want to spend a lot of time chasing down problems and doing repairs then I would humbly suggest that you donot buy either one.
That being said, technology moves forward. A newer coach is going to have better technology. Also older parts are more likely to fail than newer parts (duh). You will have challenges ahead of you, butthisboard is a great resource.
Gloryrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #8

Maintenance doesn't scare me or I would never consider an older coach. But then as you say even the newer ones will need some. I was a one man remodeling contractor a good part of my working life, so I hope I will be able to handle most repairs. I have never bought a new car and am happy with how most of those deals have turned out. I have always done all of my own mechanic work from a 1947 International 3/4 ton truck and TD14A Bulldozer, through all sorts of British sports cars up to our present all electronic Lexus and Mercedes, so I think I've got a good start on the mechanical side. BUT I've retired and don't want to spend ALL my time working on the rig! I'd much rather be driving it!!
So am I $45k more likely to be able to spend most of my time driving rather than wrenching or hammering if I get the '99?
Old 10-21-2013, 07:02 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Couple of thoughts. The '99 Sig is as nice as anything built today. Excepting Flat screens and BluRay player, etc. We have a single slide and it is hydraulic, we've had 0 issues, so far. The tag axle will add much comfort in driving. 40k is a lot of dough, however, there were a lot of changes in Monacoes during that period. The '99 will capture most of the improvements. YMMV of course.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote