Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2014, 08:36 AM   #1

Big boy noise

In my 2008 Monaco Dynasty, while laying in bed I keep hearing a clunking sound coming from the engine compartment like a transfer switch noise, could the sound be coming from the big boy and is the big boy the part that activates the charger?
ken bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2014, 08:38 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Sounds like you need to fluff the blankets a bit more!
Old 08-22-2014, 08:51 AM   #3

On our '06 Dynasty, the Big Boy is continuously energized, but at a reduced voltage to keep it from running as hot. It produces a wee bit of a humming sound, but not a clunking sound. The clunking that you are hearing would suggest that if it is coming from the Big Boy, it is being switched. It has a healthy pair of contacts and a pretty strong spring, so it would produce a pretty solid clunk when it picks or drops out.

Assuming it is the Big Boy, how frequent are the clunks? If it's every few minutes, I'd suggest you take the cover off of the rear run box and hold your hand on the Big Boy and you will definitely feel it, if that is what it is. If not, keep your ears peeled, and perhaps you can find where it is coming from.

The Big Boy ties the chassis battery system to the coach battery system in the rear run box. On our coach, the design is such that during normal operation while either plugged into shore power, or with the engine running, the two batteries are tied together so that both are maintained by the charging source, whether it be the inverter/charger or the engine alternator. When neither charging source is available, it separates the two batteries to prevent discharging the chassis batteries while parked in storage or while "dry camping". The Big Boy is also energized by the "Batt Boost" switch on the dash to allow "jumping" the chassis battery with the coach battery, if needed for startup.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:08 AM   #4

Thanks Jim, the sound comes about one to 2 hours is my best guess. I may try and take the run cover off but I may sit there a long time waiting for the sound to come on. This is our 20th motor home and I have never heard that sound coming from the rear of any other coach's.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:19 AM   #5

Wait....20th motorhome???? Wow!!!
speerfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:32 AM   #6
YC1

Easy to find out. Look on the back wall between the batteries and you will find it. Remove the small purple wire that controls it. If the clunking stops you know that is the device. Now for the cure. If your solenoid has not been changed it would be a good idea to do so. These things run very hot and are a known failure item.

However you need to check your battery voltages to be sure your charger is not cutting off. To find out all you need to know about the system do a search for BIRD. You will be busy for hours but will find a ton of great info.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:51 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken bauer View Post
This is our 20th motor home ....
YOU should be giving us lessons!!
Old 08-22-2014, 02:18 PM   #8

If the '08 Dynasty is designed like the '06 Dynasty, there is nothing mounted in the battery compartment (except the two cut-off switches). The Big Boy is controlled by board #6 in the rear run box. There is no BIRD, per se, although the system performs a similar function to the BIRD. According to my schematics from Monaco, the Dynasty was comparable to the Navigator, in 2006, as the drawings apply to both models.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:52 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same problem with my Panther. It would cylce on for 2 minutes. Off for 30 seconds and back on. It did this on shore power and engine alternator power. The fix was the board#6 in the rear run bay. You should check the outputs of the board, big boy voltage drop and the voltage of each battery banks to confirm. The relay should activate bridging the house and chassis batteries on shore power when the house battery bank exceeds 13.5 +- . Then the chassis batteries should be the same as the house.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:47 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JV View Post
If the '08 Dynasty is designed like the '06 Dynasty, there is nothing mounted in the battery compartment (except the two cut-off switches). The Big Boy is controlled by board #6 in the rear run box. There is no BIRD, per se, although the system performs a similar function to the BIRD. According to my schematics from Monaco, the Dynasty was comparable to the Navigator, in 2006, as the drawings apply to both models.

My '06 Diplomat did not come with a BIRD system so I just installed one of the Amp -L-Start units.
It connects to both battery banks and feeds all batteries current when
you have either shore or generator power.

Its a DIY one hour install, costs approx $50

There are a number of these type units from other mfg's

The one from Magnum, with user adjustable voltage settings, looked really nice
but is twice the money.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:42 PM   #11

There is a lot of information on the Big Boy in this forum. Do a search. It is in the "rear run bay". In 08 Monaco used their own board to operate the relay. Your search should bring up he method for determining if the relay is working properly. You should also find instructions on how to remove and clean the contacts. If the board is working there is a small green led light that will be on. Have you looked at your batteries and all the connections? A bad battery or dirty, and loose battery connections will drive the charging system wild! Look at all the ground connections including one that is in the rear wheel well. Are the batteries original? If so they are probably shot.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:45 PM   #12

The batteries are new and the big boy is warm to the touch and has a hum and after checking all connections I ran the generator for and hour and have not noticed the clunk sound anymore.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:06 AM   #13
YC1

If one set of batteries were extremely low they could have been pulling the overall voltage low enough for the Bird system to cut out. Once the empty banks were partially filled and not putting such a heavy load it probably kicked back in.

That said, the large solenoid has a history of failures and I would replace it as a matter of maintenance. It could easily be intermittent and not always provide proper charging to both banks. I have replaced mine twice. This is a case where one will change a fuel filter but refuse to change a part until it totally fails.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:01 AM   #14

Thanks Myron, where is the large solenoid located and where can I get one and are they expensive?