Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2015, 08:24 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
big slide won't retract at times

I tried for help in systems but no answers so I try here. My slide on the driver side front just clicks for awhile then will move in slow- I can hear the motor clicking. Yesterday I checked voltage at the motor while Suzy worked the switch - had about 13 volts ( but it is working at this time). I don't want to buy a $450 motor . Anyone had this problem? Thanks Dave
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2015, 09:56 AM   #2

Are these electric motors? If so, you may need to run the engine while operating the slide. I do.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:12 AM   #3

Is your slide control , a push and release ( one touch ) button , or do you have to continue to hold a, rocker switch, during the slide movement, and release at the end of the slide travel?
Have you lubed the slide mechanism?
Checked for possible worn parts that may be binding , at the times when it won't move?
BTW: I always retract my slide while shore power is still attached, or if boondocking , with the engine or gen set running.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:30 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have checked the slide for loose or worn parts and lube the plated - I leave the shore power hooked up - I have to hold the switch in to extend or retract. In order to run the engine I see a fuse that needs to be removed - do you leave it out or pull it every time ?
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:23 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I assume you have a power gear system.

You shouldn't have to run the engine to move the slide (or at least I don't h want to have to).

Have you unplugged and plugged back in the motor, mine has a quick connect harness.

Also, you may want to disengage the brake and then reengage the brake. There is a small lever on the end of the motor, this is so you can move slide if system fails. Since it is electric it may be dragging.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsdock View Post
I have checked the slide for loose or worn parts and lube the plated - I leave the shore power hooked up - I have to hold the switch in to extend or retract. In order to run the engine I see a fuse that needs to be removed - do you leave it out or pull it every time ?
Different system in my coach , no slide lock out, to stop the slide with the engine running.
If you have to hold the button , then there is no slide controller, There is the possibility of a bad connection, to power or ground, either at the switch or if the switch controls relays at the relays.
Lot of difference between good 12v ( 13 in your case ) at a digital multi-meter, and continual power supplied under load.
Best tester would be a clamp on amp meter, to determine the draw at the motor; BUT; you'd have to catch it when it's not working.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:48 AM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
We had a problem with our 2011 Monaco Knight last month. One of the slide cables broke and only one half of the slide would move in or out. This is a very long slide that also has a residential refrigerator. Called Monaco and they said they were a month or more out, but we could call Quality RV in Springfeild Oregon to have the work done. When we arrived the repairmen tore into it right away trying to find the problem. Both cables were broken and had to be replaced. Also the adjustment coupler bolts were replaced. After the new cables were replaced the slide would not come in completely. It seemed that the box was pushed to the rear by one inch. The repairmen had to jack up each side so they could push the box back into the correct position. Then they could adjust the cables so that the box would close.
As this slide moves in and out, the adjustment couplers move next to each other. If they collide, they hit each other making a loud noise and stop the travel. This is what happened in the first place and caused the coupler and cable to hit and brake. I asked the repairmen if it was going to happen again and they said yes. I told them to add a thin piece of plywood between the two couplers to prevent this from happening again. They did and it seems to have worked.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide