Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2011, 02:30 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Bilstein Shocks for your Monaco

Bilstein shocks for your Monaco—the saga continues

I have a 2009 Camelot QDP that I purchased new back in 2008 that came with Monroe shocks made by Tenneco. This coach rides on a Roadmaster RR8S chassis. I have put about 30K miles on the rig and it has always been my intent to replace the Monroes with the Bilstein shocks as I had been pleased with their performance on my previous gas coach. Upon returning from a cross country trip I was noticing a slight increase in the bounce going over dips etc. So I decided to bite the bullet and replace all 8 shocks with new Bilsteins. I checked internet pricing and ended up ordering from eshocks.com. I had used their website to select the correct shocks for my coach and double checked by going to the Bilstein website to check their application chart and part number. I know there had been several posts to the forum on this subject of correct part numbers and I read all that I thought were applicable. I asked eshocks.com about the different numbers—they showed 24-187305 and Bilstein showed BE5-F627-HO and was told they were both the same shock. With this information I ordered the shocks and set up with my alignment shop to install them.

Imagine my surprise when the alignment shop called and said that the Bilstein shocks I had provided them did not fit on my coach. Here are the specifics:

1. 1) The Bilstein application chart (and the eshocks.com website) both showed 2002-2010 Camelot/Diplomat/Imperial/Windsor/Sceptor with the RR8S chassis as using the BE5-F627-HO (24-187305) shock. The application chart showed that the same shock was used for both front and back wheels. The BE5-F627-HO (24-187305) shocks have eyelets on both the top and bottom.

2. 2) My 2009 Camelot (and I would assume all 2009 Sceptors) take a shock with a post top and an eyelet bottom. I talked to Monaco technical support to see if they had switched shock types (post and one eyelet to two eyelets) during the production cycle of the 2009 Camelots. They advised me that the post and 1 eyelet shock was used for all the 2009 Camelots (I assume this would apply to all Sceptors as well).

3. 3) I then talked to Kevin O’Keeffe at Bilstein West Coast technical support. We reviewed the information I had developed and he indicated that Monaco had made so many changes it had been hard to keep up, but he would advise his people about the apparent mistaken application. When all was said and done he indicated I should use the shocks shown on the Bilstein application chart as being for Diplomat/Endeavor 2004-2010 on the RR8R chassis (as noted in previous posts the RR8S refers to Raised Rail-8 airbag-Side mount radiator and the RR8R is the same but with a rear mount radiator). These shocks have different numbers for front and rear and they are: Bilstein application chart BE5-B402-HO front and BE5-B403-HO rear and correspond to the newer all digit part numbers of 24-186605 front and 24-186612 rear.

The shocks I originally received are on their way back to eshocks.com and the new ones are ordered. So I am posting this to save someone else the aggravation I went through, and I offer this advice—check to see how your shocks are mounted before ordering.

Duffy’s Dad

2009 Camelot QDP 40ft.
Duffy's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #2

Hi,
Same story on an 05 Windsor. Same numbers that you have on order worked well. I 'm glad I did the install myself. It appears that all is well but for the first time in six years I I really looked at everything under the coach and am better able to understand the documentation that comes with the coach. I have been doing more of the maintainence on the coach on annual changes. Lots to learn!!!
Don
D Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:38 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced the Monroes on my 08 Camelot 40' PDQ with Koni's 3 years ago. Mine have the post at the top and the eye at the bottom and have different numbers for front and rear.
So, it sounds like you are on the right trail.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy's Dad View Post
Bilstein shocks for your Monaco—the saga continues.......

The shocks I originally received are on their way back to eshocks.com and the new ones are ordered. So I am posting this to save someone else the aggravation I went through, and I offer this advice—check to see how your shocks are mounted before ordering.

Duffy’s Dad
DD: excellent post and advice.

NOT to add confusion, but for those who may be considering ordering Bilstein shocks for their coach, there is a "teaser" ad on page 38 of the Oct. 2011 issue of MOTORHOME mag which promotes the "coming" of "something really BIG". The ad shows a sneak peak webpage at : info.bilsteinUS.com/big60

No, I'm not affiliated with them in any way.
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I'll. Have to look at that link. At 28k miles, shocks r on my list for this off season.

I wonder wut they list for an 08 night?
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:12 AM   #6

Duffys Dad. I will be picking up my 03 Windsor with new Bilsteins installed and Cummins Central Power had no problem installing them. I'll be anxious t know how well they work.
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco, shocks