Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2017, 08:45 AM   #1

Bilstein vs Koni shocks for 2003 Monaco Windsor 40pst

Replacing shocks and want opinions on Bilstein HD shocks vs. Koni FSD shocks. Heard a lot of good things about Koni. Thanks.
Coreyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2017, 09:13 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I had Konis on my 01 Scepter when I purchased it 2 years ago, but they were worn out. I replaced with Bilsteins for about half the price of Konis (paid $80 each) and am quite pleased with them.
monacojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:23 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
There was an independent test done comparing the two and they determined the Bilsteins were just as good. That's what I put on our MH and we have been happy with them, at about half the price of the Koni's!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:27 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I found the test!

Shock Testing.pdf
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:30 AM   #5

Frankly, they all tend to perform well when new--the test is how they are doing 20K miles down the road. My 03 40ft came with Bilstein as OEM, replace with Konis 88 series at 25k miles. Both brands seemed fine when new. Have since replaced the Konis in the front about every 25K miles--Koni has lifetime warranty on replacement but still a pain. Koni came out with a heavier 99 series about 2 years ago. They too feel fine now--see how they are doing at 25k?????
PS--there is always the option of Road King......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:33 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreyph View Post
Replacing shocks and want opinions on Bilstein HD shocks vs. Koni FSD shocks. Heard a lot of good things about Koni. Thanks.

Put Koni's on our Windsor 36 PST after we purchased it last June. Ride is much better!
A little pricey but I believe they have a lifetime guarantee. Don't know about Bilstein.
Handling is a whole lot better though with the Watts linkage front and rear with rear cross bars !
CaptV1VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:18 PM   #7

My coach came with Koni shocks, last year I had another set installed. I also had the Comfort Control Valves install 6 months later, love the ride now
Source Engineering Inc | Custom RV Chassis | Eugene, OR
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 01:22 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreyph View Post
Do they not make Bilstein comfort series shocks that fit your coach? Don't think I would install the HD series. The comfort series are plenty firm enough on these chassis, especially when you're talking 10 of them.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:50 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If they're made for your coach, I'd go with the Koni 99s... these are actually made more for commercial motor coaches but Koni specified them for my Freightliner chassis.

Unlike the Bilsteins (and probably the Koni FSDs) which are fully extended before you put them on, the Koni 99s stay where you put them. They dampen the jolt rather than try to counteract by pushing back as the Bilsteins do.

Personally, I find the Koni 99s ride far superior to the OEM Bilsteins that I had. In fact, I replaced my aging Bilsteins with brand new and, within a couple months, took them off and went with the 99s. You hear about the BANG associated with the Bilsteins when going... say... over a bridge joint. The 99s have removed the BANG.

Be forewarned... they're expensive... about $225 each. But worth it.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:28 PM   #10

Guys
If you have been on the forum for any length of time you are probably familiar
with Van Williams .
Van is with out a doubt one of the smartest guys around especially concerning our
Roadmaster chassis .
I am including part of a post by Van from Dec last yr , I hope its ok .
Something to think about - here it is

Ray

SHOCK ABSORBERS--They do NOT "absorb" shocks. They TRANSMIT shocks in varying degrees depending on how stiffly they are valved. They control "porpoising" (love that silly word!) at the expense of making the ride harsher. No, sorry, you cannot have both--you CANNOT buy a shock that will make your coach ride more SMOOTHLY, and at the same time cause your coach's rebounding oscillations to DECREASE. Ain't gonna happen, folks. It would defy the laws of physics. Isaac Newton would spin in his grave. For all you who spent mega-bucks on "miracle shocks" and got "miraculously positive" results in both ride smoothness AND improved damping, I congratulate you on the power of your imagination.

Is there anyone else on this forum who has ever doubted all the hype about shocks and REMOVED THEIR FRONT SHOCKS ENTIRELY, then test-drove the coach on a "porpoising-inducing road"? I HAVE. The result? There was so little difference that my engineering mind convinced me never to pay big bucks for ANY shock again. I'm running new $40 Monroe's on my coach and loving the improved ride...with no significant increase in "porpoising". Think about it folks--in any three hour drive of your coach, how many SECONDS do you spend needing greatly increased damping ("porpoising" reduction) compared to how many HOURS you wished the coach would not be beating your teeth out each time it crossed a tar strip or expansion joint on an otherwise smooth highway?
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:03 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post
Guys
with Van Williams .
Van is with out a doubt one of the smartest guys around especially concerning our
Roadmaster chassis .

Ray

SHOCK ABSORBERS--They do NOT "absorb" shocks. They TRANSMIT shocks in varying degrees depending on how stiffly they are valved. They control "porpoising" (love that silly word!) at the expense of making the ride harsher. No, sorry, you cannot have both--you CANNOT buy a shock that will make your coach ride more SMOOTHLY, and at the same time cause your coach's rebounding oscillations to DECREASE. Ain't gonna happen, folks. It would defy the laws of physics. Isaac Newton would spin in his grave. For all you who spent mega-bucks on "miracle shocks" and got "miraculously positive" results in both ride smoothness AND improved damping, I congratulate you on the power of your imagination.

Is there anyone else on this forum who has ever doubted all the hype about shocks and REMOVED THEIR FRONT SHOCKS ENTIRELY, then test-drove the coach on a "porpoising-inducing road"? I HAVE. The result? There was so little difference that my engineering mind convinced me never to pay big bucks for ANY shock again. I'm running new $40 Monroe's on my coach and loving the improved ride...with no significant increase in "porpoising". Think about it folks--in any three hour drive of your coach, how many SECONDS do you spend needing greatly increased damping ("porpoising" reduction) compared to how many HOURS you wished the coach would not be beating your teeth out each time it crossed a tar strip or expansion joint on an otherwise smooth highway?

Love it

So for my 2001 dynasty I have a broken top mount on one of the rear bilsteins.
I'm looking at getting the bilsteins 24-187329 heavy duty vs comfort. On eshock it takes about steering dampers and the need for a bracket kit if you don't have a steering damper??? I don't think I have one but I didn't think I had 10 shocks on my tag axle dynasty.

Anyone confirm shock number and quantity needed? I need to buy them and take them to the shop for installation.

Jeff
2001 Dynasty Regent tag axle
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
FMCA ENERGIZED Task Force Chairman
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:15 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On the previous '02 DSDP I tried 6 different sets of shocks, including Bilstein comfort and Koni adjustables. It had the Bilsteins on it when we traded the rig in. Now I have the Koni 99 series on the Magna, much better ride tban the Koni adjustables that came on the MH. Expensive but worth it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post
Guys
with Van Williams .
Roadmaster chassis .

Ray

You hit the nail on the head here RamiDav. I finally got to meet Van (even though he only lives an hour from me) in February at the Monacoers gathering. He's a great guy, and very sharp. He originally designed the x bars for the rr8r chassis that makes the roadmaster chassis handle so great. Van is the guy to roadmaster chassis like Craig (Crazyknight) is to TRW steering gear swaps.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:09 PM   #14

It seems like we coach owners are always looking for shocks that
will solve all our ride issues but like Van said it ain't going to happen .
What we get is a trade off , smoother ride or more bounce control
More bounce control = harsher ride .
With that being said this is what Van installed .

[ quote ]
After having installed new front Bilstein "Comfort" shocks, and subsequently replacing them with Monroe Gas Magnums, I'll take the Monroes, thank you. The slight increase in rebound was more than worth it to me not to have my coach beaten to death by simple tar strips and expansion joints on Interstate highways...or worse yet loosen my dental fillings on the Alaska Tractor Path (otherwise known as the Alcan Highway). Monroes are half (or less) the price of Bilsteins. __________________
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
koni, monaco, shocks