Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #43
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Thanks! .. the NewMar paper is an interesting read. Both the Intellitec and the Precision Circuits BIRD descriptions caution against tying the batteries together when BOTH the alternator and Genset/Inverter-Charger are running.

It's interesting that the Precision Circuits device is using the "reduced hold voltage" technique to reduce solenoid heat and current draw .... like the older Intellitec Diesel 1. Also of interest (to me) is that Precision Circuits apparently does not offer a "Gas" version. I.E., the Precision Circuits device provides GenSet Lockout regardless of whether you are Gas or Diesel ... reinforcing my belief that the Intellitec "Diesel" labeling is misleading.

However, unless I missed it, there is no lockout, on any of the devices, when the engine is running (alternator in use) AND you are plugged into Shore Power (inverter/charger).
I too find it interesting they are concerned with the generator but not shoreline. At some time someone had a problem and decided it needed to be fixed but I cannot invision an issue. In each case the same charger is being used so voltage differences between the alternator output and charger output should not be a problem.

In any case I will not have a generator lock out on mine now and will see if any strange issues arrive.

Knowing about the generator cut off I understand why my low battery light on the dash would come on when first driving after sitting and I had the generator running thinking it was supplying plenty of power. It was not and the alternator was having a hard time catching up to weak batteries and running the grid heater. Had I pressed the AUX start button and held it things would have been different.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2013, 04:58 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
I too find it interesting they are concerned with the generator but not shoreline. At some time someone had a problem and decided it needed to be fixed but I cannot invision an issue. In each case the same charger is being used so voltage differences between the alternator output and charger output should not be a problem.

BTW, thanks for starting this thread! It brought a lot more interesting data and discussion.

Yes, I can't figure out why GENSET/INVERTER/CHARGER + ALTERNATOR is considered more on an issue than SHORE POWER/INVERTER/CHARGER + ALTERNATOR. My assumption, I think like yours, is they had a reported problem with the first scenario because it was more noticeable, added the lockout, and moved on.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #45
YC1

Bruce, Engineers design things, Technicians make them work!

All this fu fu stuff to drive a relay. A circuit board with lots of components, a small relay to make it not work. And when all is said and done I have a simple alligator clip with an inline fuse keeping the solenoid turned on.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
My 2002 Monaco Windsor coach has an Intellitec BIRD (Bi-Directional Isolator Relay Delay) Diesel-2, a Lambert Battery Maintainer and a Maintainer Lockout Relay.

The Maintainer Lockout Relay is used to prevent a conflict when the engine alternator is charging AND the generator is running.

The only different between a BIRD Diesel and the Diesel-2 is the amount of delay built into it.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrical Bay-1.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	37663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrical Bay-4.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	37664  

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #47
YC1

Richard, your setup reminded me I did have a thought on why one might want the generator lockout feature. With a diode isolator and some of the regulators they actually measured the voltage on each bank of batteries. I believe just to be sure the regulator always had a sensing voltage. With the generator running the converter the two banks of batteries could easily see a bit of a voltage difference and who knows how that might effect one of those setups. With built in regulators only one source is needed and it really does not care. What would happen is the alternator would just not work as hard as long as the converter was putting out a strong voltage. And that is actually a good thing.

Your pictures show an isolator and you may have that setup. I believe it is a leese neville ?? I have the documentation but not important to post it at this time.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post

The only different between a BIRD Diesel and the Diesel-2 is the amount of delay built into it.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I'll have to take your work for it since I don't have a Diesel-2 to test. My prior understanding was that, as well as timing refinements, the Diesel-2 abandoned the delayed reduced hold voltage (around 4 vdc) due to an annoying hum from the solenoid when held at low voltage.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Bruce, Engineers design things, Technicians make them work!

All this fu fu stuff to drive a relay. A circuit board with lots of components, a small relay to make it not work. And when all is said and done I have a simple alligator clip with an inline fuse keeping the solenoid turned on.
and then there were the days when ....

but we needed to get out of the recliner ... and maybe think about what we were doing ....