Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2021, 06:03 PM   #1

Black Smoke from Tailpipe

I don't think this is a big deal, but I noticed that the rig puffs a little black smoke when starting from a stop. Not a ton, but enough to catch my eye when looking in the rearview. It now has 67k miles and never used to smoke at all. Does anyone know if this is a sign the injectors need cleaning?
Cj D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2021, 06:14 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
What make model year coach/engine do you have.

Black smoke is a sign of incomplete combustion.

I actually had an odd occurence last week while my coach was idling. The engine stumbled a little and black smoke puffed out the exhaust. It threw a code that indicated high fuel pressure. Didn't happen since but I will be watching for other problems.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:47 PM   #3

It's an '08 Cayman, with a 375 horse Cummins.

I know if boats need their propellers cleaned they will let out a lot of black smoke. Just curious what would cause a land yacht to smoke...funny question when I think about it, as I am old enough to remember how badly the old diesels would smoke when all was running well. We are spoiled with the modern clean burning diesels.

Still, curious why it would start smoking after all these years.
Old 07-30-2021, 08:19 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I usually use a diesel fuel additive every 3-4 tank full. Diesel Kleen

https://powerservice.com/psp_product...-cetane-boost/
Suppose to help clean injectors and adds lubricity. Might try it, they sell it at Walmart and other stores, can't hurt.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:32 AM   #5

Could very well be a leaking injector. Might be something to do with the turbo not spooling up rapidly enough. Might be clogged air filter.

Some things to consider:
You have an engine that has EGR and DPF, both of which are affected by excessive soot.

The black smoke has not happened before, so something has changed.

The smoke happens every time you accelerate from a stop, at least that is implied in your post.

Eventually, some additional symptom or warning light will appear as excessive soot from unburned diesel is entering the engine through the EGR, and the DPF.

No codes have been thrown so cause is difficult to determine. However, this is a performance change that should be investigated.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 01:30 PM   #6

Thanks for the response. Yes, it is noticeable on every start from idle...just a quick puff of black smoke.

What is a DPF? Also, could someone give me an idea of how you order parts for these motors? Do you have to go off the engine plate, or does Monaco list the series in the owner's manual somewhere?

I think I'll change out or clean the injectors as a first step.
Old 07-30-2021, 03:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj D View Post
Thanks for the response. Yes, it is noticeable on every start from idle...just a quick puff of black smoke.

What is a DPF? Also, could someone give me an idea of how you order parts for these motors? Do you have to go off the engine plate, or does Monaco list the series in the owner's manual somewhere?

I think I'll change out or clean the injectors as a first step.
Sorry. DPF is the Diesel Particle Filter which does what is sounds like it does--capture diesel particles from the exhaust. When it starts to load up, the engine will go into regeneration which burns off the carbon inside the filter. All part of emissions systems on diesel engines since 2007.

However, your coach is a 2008 so it may have a chassis built as far back as 2006, in which case you would not have the DPF. You would still have the EGR system, and that can load up your intake with excessive soot.
Old 07-30-2021, 04:08 PM   #8

I noticed my 500ISM will blow a little smoke on take off if I put pedal to floor, no smoke at 3/4 pedal on take offs, not sure why.
Outbound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 10:22 AM   #9

Ah...I assume the regeneration is when the engine speeds up from idle on its own every few minutes.

The air filter was replaced within 1000 miles...I'm still going to lean injectors as most probable, followed by the EGR. I would assume a turbo problem would flag a code...
Old 08-01-2021, 08:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj D View Post
Ah...I assume the regeneration is when the engine speeds up from idle on its own every few minutes.

The air filter was replaced within 1000 miles...I'm still going to lean injectors as most probable, followed by the EGR. I would assume a turbo problem would flag a code...
Not necessarily.

In another thread I read recently, someone had mentioned the increasing rpm at idle, just like yours. He thought it was regeneration too. However, someone else answered that it was probably likely not a regen, but something to do with the turbo(?). I put in the question mark because I cannot remember exactly what he said, but it made sense and was more logical than constant regenerations at idle.

I only add this because you have the same symptom and are drawing the same conclusion. If I can find the thread, I will post a link.

Here's the link: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/uh-...ml#post5847198

Scroll down to post #20.

Once again, you may not even have a DPF at all, so regenerations will not happen under any circumstances.
Old 08-01-2021, 01:58 PM   #11

Well, in that post it sounds like his idle increase was something that just started to happen. We have had our coach for 13 years, and it has done it since day one. I asked the dealer back in 2008, and he had some explanation I can't remember. Anyway, I don't think the black smoke is related to the occasional idle increases the coach has always done.