Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-20-2018, 06:38 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,493
Black Tank Flushing Revisited

Hi Folks;

I posted previously about my 2000 Diplomat and the black tank flushing system not working. I saw many posts about the nozzle being plugged and so I looked at the passenger side but the nozzle was not there. As it turns out, the nozzle is located behind the white panel in the wet bay almost directly behind the flush fitting.

Long story short - I now have a leak at the nozzle area. Don't ask how I got there but now it HAS to be fixed

It seems to me that the location of the nozzle is pretty stupid. It's located directly above the drain for the black tank. This makes no sense. It would be better if it were located on the far side of the tank (passenger side) and ran water down from there to the other side of the tank.

The nozzle in the stock location is leaking now. So I have to do something about it. In order to fix it I have to remove the wet bay cover to ascertain where it's leaking and then go from there. My question is, if I have to do all this work, would it be better to just address it once and for all and somehow plug up the stock location and make a new hole on the far side (passenger side) of the tank? What do you guys think? What would you do and what possible 'gotcha's' could I run into (perhaps routing of the hose or what have you).
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2018, 07:10 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
falconman's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: On the Road
Posts: 1,211
I would get an aftermarket unit and mount it on the other side. If removing the panel is difficult to gain access for leak repair your could cut a hole, make the repair and then put a cover over it.
__________________
Dan & Arlene
2005 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV
Chasing the good weather
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:59 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
vito.a's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 5,487
I think you will have to access it to fix the leak anyway, so you might as well just fix the stock flush system. Mine is just a pvc pipe with holes drilled into it. Just remove it and redrill the holes.
There is also an anti back flow valve under the sink that can plug up.
Good luck!
__________________
97 Monaco Windsor- Sold
07 Monaco Executive McKinley- Sold
04 Monaco Signature Chateau IV
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:02 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
RustyTools's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,149
I initially had a single nozzle at the far end of the tank, and added a second nozzle where you described yours is located, for better flushing.

Maybe consider just adding the far-end nozzle, and having the the ability to use either/or/both, depending on conditions inside the tank?

Once you get that leak fixed, of course.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:05 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
TonyMac's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Layton, Utah
Posts: 3,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
I initially had a single nozzle at the far end of the tank, and added a second nozzle where you described yours is located, for better flushing.

Maybe consider just adding the far-end nozzle, and having the the ability to use either/or/both, depending on conditions inside the tank?

Once you get that leak fixed, of course.
"2"
__________________
Cheers,
TonyMac
2006 Monaco Safari Cheetah 40PMT
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:19 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,493
I appreciate the thoughts

I was thinking, in a perfect world, the stock nozzle behind the wet bay cover would be ideal if I could get it to spray all the way to the other end of the tank. This would help clean it starting from the far side and the water would then flow from there across the tank to the drain. I wouldn't have to route new lines or anything that way but I don't know if it can be done.

It doesn't look like removing the wet bay cover will be too big of a deal though...at least...as far as I can see.

Is there a special tool for working with/making new connections with those bands that hold the plastic lines onto the fittings?

Also, if the stock nozzle is pooched does anyone know where I could get a replacement one?
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:56 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,493
Looking on e-bay I found this - it looks pretty solid....and it's manually adjustable spray pattern and large spray volume makes me think if I could make it work I could re-use the stock location...






BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:07 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Oroville, CA
Posts: 3,133
If you ask me, the 'flushing' action after opening the 3" gate valve is much greater than any 'spray' action you can get with anything, except sticking a pressure washer sprayer up the drain. Just fix your leak, and use the black tank rinse to add water to your tank. I flush 3x and as far as I can tell, the tank is clean. On the Monaco Owners forum on IRV2, a guy recently added a marine access port (6in, I believe) to his black tank.
__________________
Bill, Kathi and Zorro; '05 Beaver Patriot Thunder
2012 Sunnybrook Harmony 21FBS (SQEZINN)
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:18 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
If you ask me, the 'flushing' action after opening the 3" gate valve is much greater than any 'spray' action you can get with anything, except sticking a pressure washer sprayer up the drain. Just fix your leak, and use the black tank rinse to add water to your tank. I flush 3x and as far as I can tell, the tank is clean. On the Monaco Owners forum on IRV2, a guy recently added a marine access port (6in, I believe) to his black tank.
I don't know how the original flusher works since it's been plugged since forever (at least, that's the assumption) but with it located right above the tank drain, I can't see it being very effective. What I have been doing is going into the bathroom, taking the wand off the sprayer, and then filling the tank from there in an effort to get it to flush the tank relatively clean. What I'm seeing is that because the nozzle is plugged, and installed on the drain side of the tank, anything directly under the toilet doesn't even get removed.

Even a nozzle on the drain side, that sprays clear across to the far (toilet) side of the tank would be an improvement. I have no issue with filling the black water tank with water either before dumping it but in it's current state it would take probably 24 hours to fill the tank with the flusher.

My thinking is, with the brass nozzle pictured above, being installed in the OE location (drain side of the tank) provided it sprayed across the tank it could be ideal. I could adjust the side nozzles to spray the sides of the tank and use the center nozzles to blow water across to the curb side of the tank. Provided there is enough pressure, that should clean all sides of the tank very quickly. It would just be nice to be able to dump and flush the tank without it turning into an all-day job. I can't see the brass nozzles plugging up very easily. The holes are pretty large.
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:32 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Oroville, CA
Posts: 3,133
It's my opinion that in an RV, the very small amount of pressure (and therefore flow) available to any nozzle or jet or turbo whichamajig is not enough to spray off your sidewalk, much less move a pile of poop.

Fix or replace the nozzle so you can add water to your tank, mine takes a couple of minutes to fill to 20% or so. Fill, dump, repeat. Once clean of poop piles, use lotsa water when you flush and do the black tank rinse every time you dump. As far as cleaning the existing nozzle, if you can remove it, you might try soaking it in CLR, it will remove hard water deposits and that might be what is clogging up your nozzle.
__________________
Bill, Kathi and Zorro; '05 Beaver Patriot Thunder
2012 Sunnybrook Harmony 21FBS (SQEZINN)
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:42 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
It's my opinion that in an RV, the very small amount of pressure (and therefore flow) available to any nozzle or jet or turbo whichamajig is not enough to spray off your sidewalk, much less move a pile of poop.
I think it's a valid opinion, mind you, I've only been in one park but the water pressure through a garden hose nozzle pretty darn weak. Water pressure is something I am concerned with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Fix or replace the nozzle so you can add water to your tank, mine takes a couple of minutes to fill to 20% or so. Fill, dump, repeat. Once clean of poop piles, use lotsa water when you flush and do the black tank rinse every time you dump. As far as cleaning the existing nozzle, if you can remove it, you might try soaking it in CLR, it will remove hard water deposits and that might be what is clogging up your nozzle.
Once I get it out/exposed I can see better why it's leaking and what it looks like. If I could drill out the end and get a spray to the far end of the tank (curbside under the toilet) I'd be happy. I have no issue with filling the tank to get more out but it's so bloody slow that flushing is a terrible pain.
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:40 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
vito.a's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 5,487
On a previous coach I took one of these apart and it's not a nozzle. I was able to get access to it from the opposite (passenger) side. It's just a piece of PVC pipe a few feet long with small holes drilled in it and a cap on the end. I removed it and redrilled the holes along the length of the PVC.
The brass spray nozzle above is nice, but mounting it to the semi flexible plastic tank is probably not a very good idea.

The black tank rinse on our 2004 coach was also completely plugged. This time I filled the tank with a mix of blue Dawn dish soap, CLR (Calcium Lime and Rust remover), and Calgon water softener. I also poured CLR into the rinse hose and briefly turned the water on and then let it all soak.
I repeated this process a few times and it broke loose little by little. It now rinses very nicely and the inside of the black tank is very clean.

At least once a month I pour some Dawn dish soap into the tank and let it soak before rinsing.
__________________
97 Monaco Windsor- Sold
07 Monaco Executive McKinley- Sold
04 Monaco Signature Chateau IV
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:00 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Oroville, CA
Posts: 3,133
Bob, If your Monaco is anything like my Beaver, you will learn a great deal about all your plumbing once you remove the wet bay 'cover plate' and can get behind and see all the stuff back there. I had to replace a dump valve while on the road. Once you can see behind the cover, all things will make sense!

Good luck!
__________________
Bill, Kathi and Zorro; '05 Beaver Patriot Thunder
2012 Sunnybrook Harmony 21FBS (SQEZINN)
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:17 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
zo66's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
Hi Folks;



I posted previously about my 2000 Diplomat and the black tank flushing system not working. I saw many posts about the nozzle being plugged and so I looked at the passenger side but the nozzle was not there. As it turns out, the nozzle is located behind the white panel in the wet bay almost directly behind the flush fitting.



Long story short - I now have a leak at the nozzle area. Don't ask how I got there but now it HAS to be fixed



It seems to me that the location of the nozzle is pretty stupid. It's located directly above the drain for the black tank. This makes no sense. It would be better if it were located on the far side of the tank (passenger side) and ran water down from there to the other side of the tank.



The nozzle in the stock location is leaking now. So I have to do something about it. In order to fix it I have to remove the wet bay cover to ascertain where it's leaking and then go from there. My question is, if I have to do all this work, would it be better to just address it once and for all and somehow plug up the stock location and make a new hole on the far side (passenger side) of the tank? What do you guys think? What would you do and what possible 'gotcha's' could I run into (perhaps routing of the hose or what have you).


Hey Bob,

I messed up several years ago which led to a plugged flush nozzle. I had a local shop order a replacement nozzle. The supplier sent the wrong part three times. Reluctantly, I removed the plugged nozzle and cleaned the blockage out. It was actually a lot easier job than I thought it would be. As I remember it, the nozzle was a very basic plastic flange that was attached to the tank with stainless screws.

Someone recommended that I watch the short RV Geeks YouTube video on how to care for your black tank. I learned a lot, one invaluable tip was to buy a clear fitting for the dump hose so that you can accurately determine when the tank rinse is coming out crystal clear. I usually rinse mine 4 times. Once I learned how to properly take care of my black tank, I have never had another issue.

Jim
__________________
2006 Monaco, Camelot 40 PDQ, 400 ISL
Watts links, Cross Braces, RF18
2012 Jeep Wrangler JKUR
zo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
black tank, tank



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Black Tank Flushing System Problem Jackm Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 8 07-18-2009 10:49 PM
Flushing black tank pixguy National RV Owner's Forum 10 06-19-2009 08:01 PM
Black Tank Flushing System Anne & Erik Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 9 03-21-2008 05:25 PM
Black Tank Flushing Hose leak repaired. Ragman National RV Owner's Forum 2 01-29-2008 07:50 AM
After doing a search,, need advive on flushing black tank Houndog iRV2.com General Discussion 10 08-16-2005 12:27 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.