Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2006, 10:42 AM   #1

I have owned my 03 Knight for a grand total of 5 weeks and I have a question about the black tank. It seems the engineers designed it as a "L" shape. The part where the toilet waste line enters the tank is shallow (like an upper shelf) and then the rest of the tank begins about 10" back. At that point the tank is a large rect. box. Anyone else having woes with this?

I find cleaning it to be very time consuming. I have tried flushing it with the built in tank flush as well as using a wand from the toilet down. Alot of water and time but it's clean...anyone have any thoughts to share on this? Thanks...
Matt S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2006, 10:42 AM   #2

I have owned my 03 Knight for a grand total of 5 weeks and I have a question about the black tank. It seems the engineers designed it as a "L" shape. The part where the toilet waste line enters the tank is shallow (like an upper shelf) and then the rest of the tank begins about 10" back. At that point the tank is a large rect. box. Anyone else having woes with this?

I find cleaning it to be very time consuming. I have tried flushing it with the built in tank flush as well as using a wand from the toilet down. Alot of water and time but it's clean...anyone have any thoughts to share on this? Thanks...
Old 06-23-2006, 04:52 PM   #3

Empty it, best you can. Put a small amount, 3-4 tablespoons, depending on size of tank, of NON-antibacterial Dawn down the toilet. Drive MH to the store, add 2-3 bags of ice, and drive it around for a while, and then dump. Or do it when you are next going on a trip. The ice, and Dawn will clean it up. Any Dawn suds left in there will not hurt anything, so you shouldn't have to rinse it before using it. This will also clean up the sensors, in your tank.

Don't Drink and Drive, EVER!!
LakeConroePenny,TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 03:37 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Matt! Welcome aboard the Monaco forum.

Any luck with the tank-problems? I boosted you back to the top for more visibility, in case you're still working on it.

BTW, I recently flushed mine out real good with one of those spray-nozzles, then filled the tanks with Simple-Green (I'd noticed quite a bit of a grease-type residue inside both tanks) and water and let 'em soak for a few days before emptying again. So far, so good.

Come back and visit often!
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 04:27 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Matt
I have never worried too much about having a clean black tank. I take it for what it is.
A holding area for some waste.
Sure before it goes in storage I turn the built in spray on for a rinse.
But driving around with ice cubes etc. LOL
My rig is a 98 model, same valves and holding tank sensors still work. Its still no different than when new.
My wife is a little anal about using deodorant in it. We use the powdered pre-meqasured blue dry stuff. Camping world and other places. Cant think of the brand right now.
works for us. Ron
edit
Matt just a thought--you do want to use a brand of toilet paper that disolves.
After a few miles on the road you just dont have anything but a brown/blue liquid. There is really no clunkers or anything else to stick .
Do not leave your valves in the open position when your hooked up and in one spot for awhile. Let your tank fill and then it will flush out. You can get a b uild up if its open all the time.
That shelf you have. I would think by filling your toilet bowl to the brim and flush in one big gush of water would give it a good rinse off.
When we dump-usually every 4 days or so when were sitting still my wife does this prior to putting in the deodorant.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 10:59 AM   #6

I have similar shaped tank. How I keep ours clean and sensors working is as follows. Anytime I am going to park the rig unused for over 2 weeks. I empty the tanks and flush as best I can. I then add 1/3 cup of Rid-X, fill the tank with water and leave the Rid-X to work until the next time out. I can empty my tanks right here at the house so it may be easier for me than others. The Rid-X will remove all the crud from inside the tank. Our motorhome sometimes sits for as long a 3 to 4 months. Warning don't do this in freezing temps.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 03:32 PM   #7

Thank you everyone! Your responses and opinions are very much enjoyed reading. I was beginning to believe that I was alittle nuts about my "overcleaning" of the black tank. Now I realize I'm just payin attention....LOL

I have utilized a piece of everyones tricks and formulated my own routine for cleaning it. So far it works good and haven't had any smells or clogs since. SO....things are good.

Ron...thanks...and congradulations on moderator.
Bill...thanks for the rid x trick, that sounds like a good one.
RC ....we having been having good luck with the rv paper from wally mart. Seems to dissolve ok.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:52 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Y'all may not want to read this over dinner...

Was talking to a dealer the other day and he mentioned they'd gotten in an older high-end coach that had been sitting for several years (owner got sick and eventually passed-away, and they got it at auction), and found the black-water tank contents had solidified to the point where they couldn't break it all loose and finally had to replace the tank. Bet the 'new guy' got the job of trying to clean it!

So, I guess it behooves us to keep at ours at least once in awhile.

Thanks!
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:46 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Caution should be make in using anything too corrosive: ie. bleach, or harsh chemicals as they will corrode your sensors. The previous owner of our 2000 Discovery was an avid bleach user and our sensors Never worked. Bleach will make plastics brittle in short time and dissolve pipe putty, corrode metal fittings, etc. When cleaning dishes, wipe out grease or anything that will become a solid with a paper towel first. Or use a dishpan and toss out the door if really greasy. Don't use any cleaner powder that leaves a residue in the bottom of a glass after standing for 20 min., ie. cleanser. I cleaned out the kitchen pipes (Disc. 200) realizing the baking soda and other cleanser resiues were an issue. Replace kitchen sink and shower strainers with the metal mesh ones;. They capture every particle and hair and empty easily. For stubborn stains in sinks use Bartender's or Bon Ami. Dawn with bleach is O.K., as it is a different formual of bleach. Always flush system when empting tanks. Using Rid-X well, check what chemicals it contains., use dry yeast instead, it's safer and cheaper.
Trls2U is offline   Reply With Quote