RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Blows inverter

2006 HR Endevor 40 foot.
When I plug in two small space heaters (1500 watts) same size as DW's hairdryer, they blow the inverters fuzes.
I thought the inverter was to convert 12volts to 120 when not on shore power.
The coach is 50 amps. on shore power, should the inverter even be in play.
Gonna be a long cold winter.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Your 2000 watt magnum inverter has 2 circuits and 2 15 amp breakers.
Each circuit should be able to handle 1 space heater (a 1500 watt space heater draws 12 amps) as long as nothing else on that circuit is on (I've never really mapped where all my inverter outlets go, but in addition to damned near every outlet in the bus, it also powers the microwave, icemaker, all home entertainment....

one heater, and turn on the microwave, will pop a breaker.

best suggestion would be to search out those breakers that do not go thru the inverter, and plug your heaters into those.

my pass side br slide has a non inverter outlet. drivers side nr slide has inverter outlets.

the outlet in my salon drivers side slide is on the inverter.
kitchen slide has one on the inverter, one not.

disconnect shore power.
leave the inverter on.
Plug your heaters into any outlets that do NOT have power.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Larry and Rita....Every outlet that is connected to your inverter still runs THROUGH your inverter, even when on shore power. They're a couple of things you can do.

Unplug from shore power and turn on the inverter. Turn off one of the circuit breakers on the inverter. Go around your coach and test EVERY outlet and see which ones are powered by that half of the inverter. Mark the outlet with a dot using a colored Sharpie. Reset the circuit breaker on the Magnum and turn off the other circuit breaker and repeat marking the rest of the outlets. You will also find one or two outlets that are not powered by the inverter.

You can now split the heaters between the two circuits of the inverter. Even better, if you can, use the outlets that are not powered by the inverter. I was told and it makes sense, that it's not good to run high amp items, like heaters, through the inverter for extended periods of time.

Lastly, I added a seperate circuit to my coach. I added an electrical outlet (box) in the electrical bay. From the box, I ran flexible plastic conduit along the frame and up into the bathroom behind the toilet. I ran Romex through the conduit and added a separate outlet in the bathroom, next to the original outlet. I also ran Romex in behind the kitchen cabinets to an outlet at the center of the main living area.

I added a heavy duty 20 amp three prong cord to the electrical bay and plug it into the shore power post when only 30 amp is offered. There is allways a 15/20 amp additional circuit on the power post. This allows me to run my heater(s) without going through the inverter. It also allows my wife to turn on a hair dryer in the bathroom without killing something else in the coach.

Some felt this was stealing power, but I'm still using the same power, just trying to keep from running it through my inverter or kicking a breaker when a circuit is overloaded.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:36 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Don,

Good ideas.

How might the wives hair dryer cause a problem for other coaches?
Wouldn't it have its own circuit breaker on the parks' box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Larry and Rita....Every outlet that is connected to your inverter still runs THROUGH your inverter, even when on shore power. They're a couple of things you can do.

Unplug from shore power and turn on the inverter. Turn off one of the circuit breakers on the inverter. Go around your coach and test EVERY outlet and see which ones are powered by that half of the inverter. Mark the outlet with a dot using a colored Sharpie. Reset the circuit breaker on the Magnum and turn off the other circuit breaker and repeat marking the rest of the outlets. You will also find one or two outlets that are not powered by the inverter.

You can now split the heaters between the two circuits of the inverter. Even better, if you can, use the outlets that are not powered by the inverter. I was told and it makes sense, that it's not good to run high amp items, like heaters, through the inverter for extended periods of time.

Lastly, I added a seperate circuit to my coach. I added an electrical outlet (box) in the electrical bay. From the box, I ran flexible plastic conduit along the frame and up into the bathroom behind the toilet. I ran Romex through the conduit and added a separate outlet in the bathroom, next to the original outlet. I also ran Romex in behind the kitchen cabinets to an outlet at the center of the main living area.

I added a heavy duty 20 amp three prong cord to the electrical bay and plug it into the shore power post when only 30 amp is offered. There is allways a 15/20 amp additional circuit on the power post. This allows me to run my heater(s) without going through the inverter. It also allows my wife to turn on a hair dryer in the bathroom without killing something else in the coach.

Some felt this was stealing power, but I'm still using the same power, just trying to keep from running it through my inverter or kicking a breaker when a circuit is overloaded.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two 1500 watt (12+ amp) space heaters = 3,000 watts, or about 25 amps

Your 15 amp circuit breaker SHOULD go CLICK under those conditions.

As others have said an "in-line" type inverter such as I have passes power though it's breakers if plugged into shore power.. if you are not on shore power then it converts (inverts) 12 volt to 120 volt for things that need it.

Second: I have found the wiring in many motor homes and trailers is not really up to a 1500 watt load.. I am very .. "Concerned" when running it that way.

My solution was to install two contrasting color 15/20 amp outlets for my space heaters.

A 15/20 amp outlet has a "T" shaped neutral slot (The 15 only has parallel blades, a 20 amp one blade is turned sideways (The neutral) Each of these outlets goes to a circuit breaker, this breaker is dedicated to that outlet and nothing else, (2 breakers total) and the connnection is made with 12ga wire bent around a screw and tightened down NOT a "Stab" (poke the wire in a hole) connection. These outlets do not worry me in the least, NO armoa of overheated wire like I got with the standard RV outlets.

I really recommend putting in proper outlets for those heaters, I might add these outlets are off the MAIN power panel,, NOT the inverter sub panel They do not go through the inverter.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
buzkin......The extra circuit is primarily for when we are on 30 amps amd when I'm running the space heater. When on 30 amps and I'm using the microwave and TV, my wife can turn on her hair dryer (when plugged into the extra outlet) and not blow the circuit breaker.

The extra outlet gives you the extra 15/20 amps you occasionally need when you only have 30 amps.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
You can now split the heaters between the two circuits of the inverter. Even better, if you can, use the outlets that are not powered by the inverter.
Splitting the heaters is exactly what we do. We have found that if we plug in one in the outlets by the beds (rear of the RV) and one in the front of the RV, we don't blow any fuses.

Dip Don - Is there an idiot proof way (because this is what we need) to locate the outlets that bypass the inverter? We would really like to find these if possible.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:47 AM   #8

Inverter Problems

I'm having the same issues. If I understand most of the 120v plugs pass through the inverter even if you are on 50amp service. Sooooo in my case I'm limited to 30amps even with 50amp service.

Can this be right?
billbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are two kinds of inverters for this discussion (Times two more which we won't discuss, those being MSW and TSW)

Stand alone and "in-line"

Yorus is an IN-Line

Here is how it's wired

main breaker panel------Innverter (breakers)----your outlets

When you have shore power .. it is "Passed through" the Inverter.

Mine is the same way.

When you loose shore power the inverter kicks in automatically, In my case the TV does not even blink. If it was not for other indicators I'd not even know we lost power.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Danes.....I just got to reading this. You can find the plugs by pulling both circuit breakers out on the Inveter while connected to shore power. All of your outlets will be dead, except the ones that go directly to poower.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:24 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
After you locate which 120 volt outlets are powered via the inverter,
label them.

Cuts down on confusion later.

Quote:
Danes.....I just got to reading this. You can find the plugs by pulling both circuit breakers out on the Inveter while connected to shore power. All of your outlets will be dead, except the ones that go directly to poower.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukzin View Post
After you locate which 120 volt outlets are powered via the inverter,
label them.

Cuts down on confusion later.
This is excatly what I have done now. I now know which sockets uses the inverter, and which that don't. I also know which sockets and appliences that uses which live wires when hooked up to 50 amp.

Thanks guy's

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:11 AM   #13

If it's a pass through why do I pop the inverter reset button hooked to shore power?
Old 12-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #14

I just checked I have no 120v that does not run through the inverter.
Is something wired wrong?

Tags
inverter