Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2019, 04:34 AM   #1

Blue Ox towbar

Good Morning, I have had a blue ox towbar for pulling our toad that has 30000 tow miles on it. My question is do I have to do any maintenance on it? I did oil the ball joint as it was getting stiff. Thank You in advance.
jimloeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2019, 07:28 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimloeh View Post
Good Morning, I have had a blue ox towbar for pulling our toad that has 30000 tow miles on it. My question is do I have to do any maintenance on it? I did oil the ball joint as it was getting stiff. Thank You in advance.

HTH

Happy Trails
Old 02-03-2019, 07:50 AM   #3

if the tow bar is in working condition, you can pull the rubber sleeves back and wipe the shafts down with a little white lithium grease. after rubbing it on, work the shaft back and forth several times. use a couple zip ties to put the rubber sleeves back in place. I also spray a silicon lubricant inside my base plate receivers, and spritz the electrical connections with the same .
Old 02-03-2019, 08:38 AM   #4

You mention lubricating the ball because it was stiff. If you contact BlueOx I think they will tell you not to lubricate the ball. If it's stiff it may need to be replaced.
You might give them a call anyway.
A couple of years ago I sent my Aventa to them for inspection. They found the area where the ball attaches to the receiver was cracked. They replaced the receiver and ball, lubed and new rubber sleeves etc, prepaid return shipping all for under $200. Basically a new tow bar.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:56 AM   #5

Never put grease on the shafts. It will attract and collect dirt no matter how hard you try to seal the boot. They can be cleaned and wiped down with a silicone spray lubricant. We took ours to the local Blue Ox service center near us and had them do an inspection and maintenance. It came back like new and we felt better having it inspected. The cost was less than $40.00. Your Blue Ox Manual gives instructions for regular maintenance. You can download one online if you don't have it. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
Never put grease on the shafts. It will attract and collect dirt no matter how hard you try to seal the boot. They can be cleaned and wiped down with a silicone spray lubricant. We took ours to the local Blue Ox service center near us and had them do an inspection and maintenance. It came back like new and we felt better having it inspected. The cost was less than $40.00. Your Blue Ox Manual gives instructions for regular maintenance. You can download one online if you don't have it. Chuck
I believe the OP was referring to the swivel ball on the Aventa bar being stiff not the sliding arms. Lubricating the ball is not advised for the reason you mentioned because it is exposed to the elements.
However, when I sent mine to BlueOx for rebuild they used lubriplate on both arms and installed new boots. I have also used lubriplate every year for many years. Never a sign of dirt.
The boots are sealed on each end with a black tie wrap so unless the boot is cracked or somehow damaged there is no way to get moisture or dirt inside the boots. Just saying.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:02 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Check this link Jim

https://www.popupgooseneckhitch.com/...nts/BX7445.pdf
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
That's the doc I was thinking of. Thanks
Old 02-04-2019, 11:51 AM   #9

Interesting discussion. Contrary to what many have been told by Blue Ox, and contrary to the instructions (DO NOT LUBRICATE BALL SWIVEL), mine was so stiff a few years ago that I had to jump on the arms fully extended to move it.

Called Blue Ox and they suggested squirting in some dish detergent. Didn't make a bit of difference, still needed two strong men to move the hitch. Called them back and they said go ahead and spray it with penetrating oil. Got it moving and it has been fine since.

Now I pull in winter in bad weather so the corrosive de-icers do take a price, and a pretty cover won't make a difference given that it is dangling down in the dirt stream under my coach (very low hitch position).

Incidentally, recently I had the retainer latch and spring pin (parts 24 and 25 on the parts list) fail and one of my arms wouldn't latch. Found out from a Blue Ox dealer that the Aventa has been dropped and Blue Ox doesn't have all the parts anymore. Didn't like hearing that but a new pin and a little hammering on the retainer latch put things right.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
Interesting discussion. Contrary to what many have been told by Blue Ox, and contrary to the instructions (DO NOT LUBRICATE BALL SWIVEL), mine was so stiff a few years ago that I had to jump on the arms fully extended to move it.

Called Blue Ox and they suggested squirting in some dish detergent. Didn't make a bit of difference, still needed two strong men to move the hitch. Called them back and they said go ahead and spray it with penetrating oil. Got it moving and it has been fine since.

Now I pull in winter in bad weather so the corrosive de-icers do take a price, and a pretty cover won't make a difference given that it is dangling down in the dirt stream under my coach (very low hitch position).

Incidentally, recently I had the retainer latch and spring pin (parts 24 and 25 on the parts list) fail and one of my arms wouldn't latch. Found out from a Blue Ox dealer that the Aventa has been dropped and Blue Ox doesn't have all the parts anymore. Didn't like hearing that but a new pin and a little hammering on the retainer latch put things right.
i agree. these things are brass on steel, not a rocket. when they get stiff, i give them a little motor oil[or whatever is close to hand] until it loosens up. some things are real easy to over think
DanKathyC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, blue ox