Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2012, 10:56 PM   #1

Bolting down jacknife sofa

Just bought a jacknife sofa to go in my passenger side slide out. Previous owner Put in a love seat that didn't quite fit. The original build sheets says it had a j lounge at one time. Does anyone know how that j lounge was fastened down and if it had seat belts? I notice from looking at from the outside, the bottom of the slide out has 4 holes which I'm presuming were bolt holes for either the j lounge or seat belts. Ideally I would like to secure the jacknife propery as well as install seat belts. Any pointer will help. The jacknife came with 4 brackets and from the limited space under the sofa you couldn't drill or screw down. You almost have to have a bolt up with a nut on top. Any pointer will help. Thank you.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2012, 06:12 AM   #2
rex

Monaco Owners Club
My coach originally had a J-lounge. There were seat belts attached near the outside wall which I removed. Bolts for them could not be accessed outside under the slide. The lounge was screwed down with I think 1-1/2" lag screws. These screws did not penetrate the slide bottom.

Hope this is of some help.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:33 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I recently removed a two seat jack knife sofa from my 2007 HR Scepter. It was held down by four bolts coming up from the bottom thru the sub floor. Couldn't see them with side out so assume it was part of the factory installation. Same for the two seat belt attachment bolts near the outside wall. With soda removed the bolts wouldn't move. Screwed nut back on them and cut them level and capped them with rubber cap used for cane/crutch tips. Good luck.
dmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:30 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Removed a jack knife from my drivers side. Like Rex said: it was held down w/ lag bolts screwed into the slide's floor plywood. My guess is that Monaco had a pneumatic driver to get these screws started and seated. Removing them with a ratchet was a challenge.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The bolts that you need are called Elevator Bolts. They have a large flat head on them. If you need to drill new holes then first use a hole saw to cut enough material from underneat the slide to allow the bolt head to be flush with the bottom of the slide, then seal it with silicon. I found the bolts at a local hardware store.

Here is a link to show you what they look like...

Amazon.com: Elevator Bolts

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #6

Thank you all. Looks like a mix of bolts or lags depending on the year and model.