Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #1
DJJ

Both a/c heat pumps blow their seperate breakers

This is a question for a friend. They own a 2005 Monaco Diplomat and both a/c units when in heat mode trip their respective circuit breakers after about 15 to 20 min, the coach does not reach the thermostat set temperature. If they reset the breakers they will trip after about 15 min. It is too clod here even in south FL to see if the same thing happens in a/c mode. The only thing I can think of that is common to both units is the thermostat. Any thoughts or has anyone one had or heard of a similar problem?

Thanks in advance. Jeff
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2014, 01:57 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I'm no expert. I'm fairly sure the thermostat can't blow the breakers. Are they putting out heat before the circuit breakers blow? Do they blow at the same time? I agree, I'd check the AC mode and see what happens. If they work in AC mode them it sounds like the reversing solenoids are stuck. This could cause the breaker to blow. Is also check her breakers. They may be old and overhearing.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:21 PM   #3
DJJ

Both breakers were replaced to see if that was the problem, it still trips the new breakers.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:29 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Smile

It is doubtful that both A/C units would go bad with the same issue at the same time. Sounds like a low voltage issue. Use a multimeter and check the voltage in your coach with both A/C units running. If you are checking in the breaker panel, make sure you check between neutral and each hot side, not hot to hot. It should be 115-120VAC. If the voltage is low, the A/C unit will pull extra current and can blow the breaker. This could occur because the park has low voltage, or it could occur if your shore power plug or the park distribution has a bad connection. Feel your plug and shore power cord looking for any warm spots. The two A/C units are usually on opposite phases of the power so a problem occurring with both may be in the neutral wire of the shore power connection. Recheck the voltage with the A/C's off...should not be appreciably higher.

Has this been a problem at more than one location?

Good Luck
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:43 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Tricotec has a good explanation of what is probably happening. Try one unit on heat and see what happens. If you have low voltage, then two units will cause the voltage to drop even lower and need more current. If you are on the edge with voltage, one heat pump might not drop the voltage as much which reduces the current required.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:03 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I had this problem on my 2008 Camelot. My Center and rear ACs were on breakers next to each other. Either unit would run forever. I noticed the breakers were getting hot. I replaced both breakers and it did not solve the problem. I swapped the wires around so the fridge breaker was between the two AC breakers. Never had another tripped breaker, been about 18 months.

Of course upplug power, turn off inverter and AGS before working inside the panel.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:59 AM   #7
DJJ

Yes, the problem happens at their house and at RV parks and with and without the inline surge/voltage protector. I think it's going to get warm enough this weekend that they can try the units in a/c mode. Also we will check the voltage and try separating the breakers in the panel.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:57 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Interested to learn what the problem turns out to be.

CB's could trip because they get too hot (that's essentially how they sense current in the first place), so moving them apart might work.

As mentioned, it also could be a low-voltage situation, especially in a park and if the coach is at the 'end of the line' with a lot of other users drawing power too.

BTW, are they on a 50amp circuit? Are all connections inside and outside the coach good and tight?

And if in FL, devoid of corrosion? I work at a park in the Keys and one of our bigger problems is keeping the 'green gremlin' away from connections.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:43 AM   #9
DJJ

Thanks for the suggestions. The breakers trip in both ac and heat mode and when only one is running or if both are on. Since we live in the Keys, corrosion is very familiar. They took the coach to someplace in Ft Myers yesterday to get fixed, so I will post what they find out. I am betting on a loose or corroded ground wire somewhere the owners could not find. I asked them to find out very specifically the problem and will post what they problem was in case it helps someone in the future.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:50 AM   #10

Thanks ... looking forward to the update. Did the trip also occur when running on genset?
Old 02-08-2014, 01:45 PM   #11
DJJ

They took the MH to Camping World in Ft Myers and found out both roof units pull 20 amps in heat pump mode. They only pull 12 amps in a/c mode. Also, I miss understood and thought they were also tripping the breakers in a/c mode but are not. CW wanted to replace both units, so they are just going to let it go for now. They also spoke to a mobile RV tech who told them over the phone that both units would probably have to be replaced.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJ View Post
They took the MH to Camping World in Ft Myers and found out both roof units pull 20 amps in heat pump mode. They only pull 12 amps in a/c mode. Also, I miss understood and thought they were also tripping the breakers in a/c mode but are not. CW wanted to replace both units, so they are just going to let it go for now. They also spoke to a mobile RV tech who told them over the phone that both units would probably have to be replaced.
That's weird ...
Old 02-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #13

It could be the starter compasitor in both of the ac units. which is just a few dollars to replace. most elect motors have them and they do go bad
AKrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:50 PM   #14

Send a message via ICQ to Waterview202
It is almost impossible for both units to go bad at the same time, if you have electric strip heat in the units then they could be pulling 20 amps sounds like you still have a bad wire connection
Waterview202 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat pump