Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2018, 06:22 PM   #1

Both slides won't open on a 2002 Monaco Cayman

Hi - thanks in advance for the help; I've used the previous 3 threads on the topic (you guys are quite handy on this stuff) for troubleshooting. No joy so far.

Neither of my slides will open when I hit the rocker switch. No noise at all so it must be electrical, and both opened just fine before.

Have tried:
- Swapping out fuses in Box 27/28 at left front big fusebox (slide and tv lockout)
- Pushing in bin lockout that prevents slide from opening.

The only thing I've done since they opened last is install a new stereo with Bluetooth.

Looked for the black box in the back that the guy with the '02 Dip mentioned - wasn't there; mine is a rear rad model so I just see fins.

Attaching a cute photo of my baby driving our RV as the internet tax. (She's a terrible driver)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	received_428011947730062.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	223693  
NathanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2018, 07:34 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Is the parking brake set?

Cute baby.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:23 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Are the bay doors closed good? Maybe the safety switch didn't get depressed good.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:11 AM   #4

I would check your safety switches on your storage compartments. I had this happen this summer and one of my switches had corrosion on it and wasn't getting a good connection. Once I replaced everything worked great.
Coreyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:41 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would bet it's the safety interlock switches on the bay doors. You can bypass them one at a time, trying the slideouts each time.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:06 AM   #6

I am not familiar with you coach, however mine has a fuse and relays located in the curb side battery compartment.

A bad relay would not affect more than one slide, but there is a common fuse for all slides in this compartment.

Good Luck
Old 10-25-2018, 11:16 AM   #7

Since you don’t hear anything running when you hit the switches you might want to check if you have voltage to the electric motor that runs your hydraulic pump. You should have voltage at the motor with the switches activated. If you do then the problem is in the motor. The seals separating the electric motor and the oil pump are not known for their quality and the hydraulic oil leaks into the motor and shorts it out. My motorhome is a 2009 and I replaced the seal on mine after only 6 years. It was hard as a rock. It’s a fairly big job but I did do it myself.
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Seneca View Post
Is the parking brake set?

Cute baby.
Parking brake is on.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinstar 1114 View Post
Are the bay doors closed good? Maybe the safety switch didn't get depressed good.
Bay doors are closed. Have tried pushing in switch while hitting out button.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I would bet it's the safety interlock switches on the bay doors. You can bypass them one at a time, trying the slideouts each time.
The one I found is a tad rusty - how do you bypass them?
Old 10-25-2018, 02:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by xydial View Post
I am not familiar with you coach, however mine has a fuse and relays located in the curb side battery compartment.

A bad relay would not affect more than one slide, but there is a common fuse for all slides in this compartment.

Good Luck
Have checked the common fuses in the relay (25 and 5 amp - no joy.) Thx tho
Old 10-25-2018, 02:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Schulz View Post
Since you don’t hear anything running when you hit the switches you might want to check if you have voltage to the electric motor that runs your hydraulic pump. You should have voltage at the motor with the switches activated. If you do then the problem is in the motor. The seals separating the electric motor and the oil pump are not known for their quality and the hydraulic oil leaks into the motor and shorts it out. My motorhome is a 2009 and I replaced the seal on mine after only 6 years. It was hard as a rock. It’s a fairly big job but I did do it myself.
Thx - will check that after I troubleshoot the rest.

I'm guessing it's some safety switch as both slides just stopped working.

Thanks again all for your help - will report back on what fixes it for future ppl with same problem.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:26 PM   #13

Hi NathanT; Wait until she is 16 and asks for the keys. Sorry, cute baby! Electrical problems can drive me, and you, crazy. My bother in law had a 2003 34' Caymen with the roadside living slide and the roadside bedroom slide. I am going to assume, you have the same. These 2 slides should be run by an electric motor for each slide. This is how my brother in laws coach was designed. The fact that you lost both at the same time, indicates there has to be one common feed for both. The outside bay door lockout switches should not come into play for the bedroom slide as I remember, there are no compartment doors below the bedroom slide. Do you have the monitor panel in the middle of the coach that has the display for the tank levels. Going by memory here. On that panel is the slide switches for both slide outs. The trouble here is no electrical diagram to look at. I would fist pull the screws from that panel and see if there is any voltage to those slide switches. I would agree with others that for your year of coach, those switch's activate a relay to run the motors for both slides. I have one slide on my 01 Monaco Windsor. It is a kitchen slide and the relay for that is in my passenger side electrical bay at the rear of the coach. I think the only item in your rear curbside compartment is your inverter. Sorry, I am going by memory. Somewhere I am sure you have 2 relays, one for each slide. Now where they are is the mystery. I would start with the switches on the panel. If no power there, those relays, to me, would have to be in the front electrical bay on the drivers side. I apologize if I am repeating everything you have already tried. To jump the lockout switches on the bay doors under the living slide, use some alligator clips with wire connected to both and attach to each terminal on the back of the switch. This would bypass the plunger part of the switch. They look like round silver buttons attached to a bracket on the top side of the compartment frame. Sorry again if you have already tried this. Got to be getting closer to finding why you have no power. Keep at it and let us know how it goes. Good luck! Also one other thing came to mind. In that electrical bay, up front under the drivers seat, do you have a black square cover held on by 3 plastic wing nuts. If you have not removed that cover, I would look in there. There should be a diagram on the back of that cover that shows all relays on that circuit board.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:26 PM   #14

Dingnding, 8.3oilburner was correct. Problem was relays. I cleaned up the contacts and I'm good to go.

Tags
monaco, slide